It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why major Americans are not interested in disscuusing Religion, Faith, And Theology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I think that there is not much to explain the question. it is just a question and I am not offending anyone about what he/she believes.

I ask this Q because in my country people discuss what they want anytime , they ask questions and they keep it cool most of the times in discussions ( the people I know ).

for example if we get ATS as a reference set then why are the people here on ATS mostly trying to discuss politics mostly and they refuse to talk about religion.

another example may be : why religion is not discussed in public as much as politics ?

I will appreciate clear answers .
thank you.

edit on 7/4/11 by hmdphantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Who is "major Americans"?

I'm not sure which people you're talking about, but the US is a secular nation. Our government isn't supposed to be mixed up with religion. There are plenty of people who do talk a lot about religion, but not so much in the political realm.
edit on 4/7/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by hmdphantom

Because religion, faith, and theology is doing a damn good job keeping people stupid... that's what they like to see. If man ever realized his connection to nature "the stacked cards will fall like dominoes"

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
ok. do you want me to change my question ? I do as you please.

why are the people here on ATS mostly trying to discuss politics mostly and they refuse to talk about religion.

another Q : can't a religion based dominion rule democratically ? so you can discuss what the gov is doing right now due to religion ?

thank you for the reply.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
What's a Major american? Can i be a Major Canadian?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I'm guessing by "major American's" you mean politicians and other so-called leaders? If that is what you mean, then most of the time it's due to political correctness and all they care about is getting people to vote for them. If they started bringing up religion, it's guaranteed to make them some enemies no matter what they say about it. It's a terrible system.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mrjones7885

can you explain about how theology is doing the job ?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

yes you can be . I like to know your opinion.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

If I can reply as a Major British person, we like to keep politics and religion seperate here if we can. Religion has no place in politics. It's for people to believe what they want but dont bring those beliefs into the political domain.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by hmdphantom
ok. do you want me to change my question ? I do as you please.

why are the people here on ATS mostly trying to discuss politics mostly and they refuse to talk about religion.

another Q : can't a religion based dominion rule democratically ? so you can discuss what the gov is doing right now due to religion ?

thank you for the reply.

That's the whole point, the US government isn't supposed to do anything because of a religion. A government taking action for one religion causes all kinds of conflicts.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Theres plenty of religious threads my friend, you just have to look...

Politics on the other hand *shrug* i don't bother discussing such things. They're all liars...

Regardless of who you vote for they never do anything for anyone but themselves mostly...

So to me its pointless discussing it.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

may be it is a better question : why religion is not discussed in public as much as politics ?
I think that I made it more clear.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Oh okay... This could get very very interesting!

Separation between Church and State:

New York Historical Society President and Columbia University Professor of History Kenneth T. Jackson describes the Flushing Remonstrance as "the first thing that we have in writing in the United States where a group of citizens attests on paper and over their signature the right of the people to follow their own conscience with regard to God - and the inability of government, or the illegality of government, to interfere with that."[12]
Given the wide diversity of opinion on Christian theological matters in the newly independent American States, the Constitutional Convention believed a government sanctioned (established) religion would disrupt rather than bind the newly formed union together. George Washington wrote a letter in 1790 to the country's first Jewish congregation, the Touro Synagogue in Newport, Rhode Island to state:
"Allowing rights and immunities of citizenship. It is now no more that toleration is spoken of, as if it were by the indulgence of one class of people, that another enjoyed the exercise of their inherent natural rights. For happily the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens, in giving it on all occasions their effectual support.[13]
There were also opponents to the support of any established church even at the state level. In 1773, Isaac Backus, a prominent Baptist minister in New England, observed that when "church and state are separate, the effects are happy, and they do not at all interfere with each other: but where they have been confounded together, no tongue nor pen can fully describe the mischiefs that have ensued." Thomas Jefferson's influential Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom was enacted in 1786, five years before the Bill of Rights.
Most Anglican ministers, and many Anglicans, were Loyalists. The Anglican establishment, where it had existed, largely ceased to function during the American Revolution, though the new States did not formally abolish and replace it until some years after the Revolution.

Link
The real question is did our forefathers make the right decision separating religion from government?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

They don't refuse to talk about it. This is a forum just for that purpose. Plenty of people are talking about it.

can't a religion based dominion rule democratically ?

Sure they can. It's just not the way the US works. We try to keep religion and politics separate. We have freedom of religion here. There are Christians, Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Wiccans and atheists (and more I'm sure). Our government demands that each person is free to choose their religion and practice it.

so you can discuss what the gov is doing right now due to religion ?

Not a lot. We don't use religion to make our laws or run our country. Well, we're not SUPPOSED to, but some leaks in there.

Did I answer your questions?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

If I can reply as a Major British person, we like to keep politics and religion seperate here if we can. Religion has no place in politics. It's for people to believe what they want but dont bring those beliefs into the political domain.

Just to re-inforce what you said really, Government cannot expect the Brittish people to adopt any one particular religeous (sorry having real difficulty spelling this word tonight ) viewpoint, it is up to the individual to make his/her own mind up, and to my mind that is exactly how it should be.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Religion has too many points of view, so it can't ever be discussed rationally... As soon as one person says "this is Gods way" that automatically makes him correct in his eyes, and no one can convince him otherwise...

Politics and religion don't mix... ever

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrjones7885
The real question is did our forefathers make the right decision separating religion from government?

And the real answer is Yes!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I just see that you are interested in religion but you hate politics. I see others that like politics and hate discussing religion. why is this huge gap existing ? is it right or not?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I love to discuss both!

People just have different interests.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

so you think being religious and being fanatic are the same. can't we use our intellect to reason and understand ?
is that true?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join