It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*The Seeker* painting - first wash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Hey ATS - figured I would share the first stages of the painting based on this sketch, it took a few days to build the canvas out of wood (there are no stretchers big enough purchase) it is 8'X4' feet, taller than my ceiling but its all good, I have blisters from putting in all the skrews by hand.

mega glare on the bottom half

enjoy

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

Use to paint this type of thing back in the 60s and 70s and did murals for buisnesses. A lot of work here! very nice and keep me posted as it comes along. No critiquing without pain. he he.
Spike

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

Nice artwork.is there any symbolic meaning?what does first wash mean,,is there a process based on the type of medium used?
edit on 6-4-2011 by consigliere because: forgot last question

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

You have a really good painting happening here.
I would watch out for the bottom losing visual interest, maybe use color or dramatic values to bring it to life.
I love the feeling of emergence that you get in the middle - everything else in the painting should emphasize that.
The top tends to get rather intense, you want to keep the viewer's eye coming back to the middle. Too much detail on the upper part may be a distraction rather than an asset.
There is no rule that you must do every part in sharp focus, perhaps you can bring out your depth of field by scumbling the extremes of near and far.
I'm afraid you may get some "big butt" comments and it may be a distraction for some.

I hope I don't sound overcritical, this is a really nice piece you're doing. I used to teach, fwiw.
Take your time finishing this, it's worth meditating over each element and considering how it will affect the whole.
Really looking forward to seeing the finished product though.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
hey yall, not going into the specifics since I want to run and paint I love the critique keep it comming nothing is harsh all very realistic answers especially on the large rump, and losing myself in the lower sections on the painting, I am thinking of reconfiguring the position of the figure and the sizing to make it more appropriate. anywhoo I started throwing a second wash (or slightly thicker layer of paint) to provide a decent base and now moved on to the adding colour and finalizing the 'feel' of the piece. Its a huge canvas so I am trying to keep moving at a decent pace and not getting hung up in the specifics - it is necessary for now. WALL OFTEXT

if a mod can post up this in the intial post it would be greatly appreciated

edit on 9-4-2011 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
just a step back to look at the overall... the close up looks sloppy

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
still going at it

prob 2-3 weeks still

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
planning on reworking the figure into a new positon, and much larger, possibly life sized

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

top topics

join