It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government May Shutdown On April 8th, What Are Your Thoughts About This?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Hello dear ATSer,

The congress has set April 8th as the new possible government shutdown date. If they don't come to an agreement regarding the new budget, they will shutdown the government.

Here's a related article: CSMonitor

Now what do you think about this. Do you think it will shutdown?

If it ever shuts down, that would be very very bad. Just look at the US economy, in how much troubles they are. An absence of governance wouldn't help it at all.

Just asking: Let's say a big earthquake happens in California or somewhere else, would the government offer help or would they ignore this (you know, our government is closed we can't take action)? If it ever happens this way, that'd be pretty ugly.

So here I am guys, asking you what you think about it. I'm not super know-it-all when it comes to US politics (I'm from Canada), so I thought my dear ATS members could help me here

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Shut that piece of $**t down and never open it back up as far as I am concerned...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Awesome.. imagine how much money will not be spent in one day of government shut down =)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

I bet even if it's shut down they'll figure out how to waste some ridiculous sum of money.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I hate to say I agree with the above posters. Fox news today (04/06/2011 about 6:40pm) had poll results for americans, "are you concerned with the government shut down" 95% voted, NO 2% yes. I mean, what does that tell the government? we are all fed up.

My question, and I dont know if it has been answered, do we still get taxes taken from our pay? I mean, technically the government is "shut down". I mentioned this to my father today and he started to chuckle and said "of course they will get the money, they always do".
edit on 4/6/2011 by dragonspit because: typos

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
Awesome.. imagine how much money will not be spent in one day of government shut down =)

I don't think it's right. They've created a bulletproof system that, even with a shutdown, would bring them tons and tons of money.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Unfortunately I must agree. They will still find some way to screw us. Shut it down anyway. Shut it down, keep it shut down and fire all the congress critters.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I mean I don;t like it. I don;t know but it is indictive of our country and how we our as people. How we can;t compromise and work with one another anymore.

Look it is no wonder why the NFl can;t get a deal done when our own congress can;t get a deal done.

I'll tell ya what though if they don;t get a deal done I';ll be pissed at all of them!

link   
That will be the time of ultimate weakness.

They shut down, we charge, and we re-build.

Or we can just say to hell with it and live off the land God and mother nature has provided for us.

link   
its so they can all run and hide in there bunkers!
when i first heard of this i thought it couldn't be real but its happened before.i think it opens the country up to attack if you ask me because who would make decisions about war etc leave it up to the military and we would all be doomed.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Good, I hope they shut down forever....

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I think it is all political theater.

I don't think it will shut down, and if it does it will be for over the weekend.

I'm really not that concerned about the shut down itself, I'm more interested in the watching the Republicans moving the goal posts and lauging at how it is back firing on them so badly.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
quote from an article written by Kristi Stone Hamrick Fox's website under opinions:

"You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy"

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

I don't think it will shut down, and if it does it will be for over the weekend.

I'm really not that concerned about the shut down itself, I'm more interested in the watching the Republicans moving the goal posts and lauging at how it is back firing on them so badly.

Like a game of chicken

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I hope they do shut down. The less time these people have to pass restrictive laws the better off we are. When was the last time Congress did anything productive? The gov't doesn't really shut down anyway.
nation.foxnews.com...

Roger Clemens has to go on trial for lying to Congress, WHY is this a crime? Congress lies to us every day.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gab1159
Hello dear ATSer,

The congress has set April 8th as the new possible government shutdown date. If they don't come to an agreement regarding the new budget, they will shutdown the government.

If it ever shuts down, that would be very very bad. Just look at the US economy, in how much troubles they are. An absence of governance wouldn't help it at all.

Just asking: Let's say a big earthquake happens in California or somewhere else, would the government offer help or would they ignore this (you know, our government is closed we can't take action)? If it ever happens this way, that'd be pretty ugly.

So here I am guys, asking you what you think about it. I'm not super know-it-all when it comes to US politics (I'm from Canada), so I thought my dear ATS members could help me here

Yes the government would help if an earthquake happened. I currently serve in the Air Force and we are working without a pay check if they shutdown. Nothing will change. We will still be supporting the war efforts and the Japan relief.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

"moving the goal posts"? I thought the NFL was in a lockout.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by johngrissom

Originally posted by Gab1159
Hello dear ATSer,

Yes the government would help if an earthquake happened. I currently serve in the Air Force and we are working without a pay check if they shutdown. Nothing will change. We will still be supporting the war efforts and the Japan relief.

Thank you, this is reassuring at least!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by majestic3
its so they can all run and hide in there bunkers!
when i first heard of this i thought it couldn't be real but its happened before.i think it opens the country up to attack if you ask me because who would make decisions about war etc leave it up to the military and we would all be doomed.

Or does it open the country for a false flag operation? Honestly, if it ever shuts down and an attack occurs, I will suspect the secret government to a very high level.
edit on 6-4-2011 by Gab1159 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join