It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pacific caught seafood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
In light of events in Japan, i told the wife that should she buy fish, avoid pacific caught fish.
So, she goes to Asda and lo and behold, she comes back with frozen Pacific salmon!

Problem is there doesn't seem to be any information as to WHEN it was caught.

I reckon it should go in the bin, what are your views ATS' ers ?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by bargoose

It should be safe for another couple of weeks, and maybe longer.

The problem is, Pacific = Radiation, while Gulf/Atlantic = Oil.

All of it is high in Mercury, but everything you buy on land is GMO, Hormone Injected, and Irradiated at the processing plant.

You really just can't eat anything.

BUT, there is another way to look at it. This is the world we have made, so if the human race is going to survive, we might as well start adapting to it. Perhaps you should be happy to eat small doses of radiation and hormones, so that your body can adapt for later on when the doses are higher.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
thaw it out and smack your wife with it.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mojoarian

Ha ha yeah perhaps i should!
I called her through to show her your post

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
OMG I'm scared of radioactive fish!!!

No not really... radiation, just like all other forms of energy, dissipates and dilutes... I think it will be some time before a heavy dose of radiation will hit our corner of the world.. especially the USA Pacific coast.

Just saying... if you are really that worried about it, take a geiger counter to your salmon.. I'm sure it is well within limits lol.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Remember that the "legal limits" are set deliberately to be extremely low. Just one meal of Pacific salmon is not going to make you sick or give you cancer.

Now on the other hand, if you eat fish two or three meals a day in your diet, like the Japanese, and you're catching fish off the coast of Japan, you might have cause for concern....

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LS650

Well I'm sure they are within the "Actual Limits" of being dangerous... You know how long it takes the water there to reach the US coastline? We still have a bit of time to enjoy our pacific seafood before it becomes tainted.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by mojoarian
thaw it out and smack your wife with it.

Ah...domestic violence.....is there nothing it can't solve?

Seriously though, my family is involved in the fishing industry on the west coast and this is already having a huge impact in ways you cannot even imagine and the sh*t has just now started to flow downhill. Just wait till the first person steps forward with proof that there are measurable levels of radiation in marine life off the west coast of the US.

Mark my words, our way of life is about to undergo a drastic transformation in the next few months (assuming we are even around to see this play out due to *insert your favorite impending apocalyptic event here*).

Several fishermen I know are selling their boats and licenses while they can still get a decent price for them and we are already seeing downward price pressure at a time of year when prices would typically be at their peak.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
LOL.. Nice one Mojo....A good smack to the head with a mackeral never hurt a solid marriage.

I don't know the migratory(that the right word?) habits of fish... I don't know how far they swim around in the ocean. Salmon go North and South like birds? Or East and West? And/or How far? Dunno.

So far, I don't trust ANY reports saying it's safe to eat seafood from the Gulf.

So NOW I have to worry about who's making the reports what's safe to eat from the Pacific..

Uh Ohhh. Not Good..

Oh...And I have'nt eaten ANY fish caught by San Onfre Power plant in years. And I have asked where the fish is caught for years too.

If Long John Silvers starts slashing prices...Wondor if they got a "deal" on the fish?

NOW what are we going to be able to eat?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Thanks buskey for the info... great minds think alike.
2nd.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

Funny (well, not really) but after I posted, I was poking around for other news related to the flow of radiation and came across this. Watch the ABC news video as well.

news.gather.com...

Our boat is sold but we are now having trouble getting interest in the tuna licenses. Had lots of offers on the licenses a few months ago but did not want to sell separate from the boat. Wish now that we had sold when we could get top dollar, don't think we'll have that chance again.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Wow...thanks for the disturbing link.... So we can enjoy current conditions(no pun intended) for a month or two..after that it's anybody's guess.

Killing our food chain is starting to become a bad habit.
Sorry about your families fishing business.

I never thought Lake Tahoe fish was going to be the only fish I eat.Trout has a lot of bones... I'm a swordfish kinda guy..

I guess when you take into consideration the Pacific has 70million cubic MILES of water and they only dumped a couple of MILLIONS of gallons of nuclear sludge,it might not be that bad.
wiki.answers.com...

Here's hoping.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Maybe I shouldn't say it, but... While the Gulf incidents were unfolding, I began piling up on canned fishe from the Pacific... Some cans are good for the next 5 years. I know it doesn't beat fresh fish, but for now, it will do.

Just call the maker of the canned food to know when it was made, and how to know its end date as sometimes it is not clear.

I'm glad I made the move seeing how things are going now... Do it while you can. I know we will soon refrain from buying those products...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by bargoose

Salmon is not back in season yet so chances are that salmon was from June-August of 2010. Also depending on the species of salmon might have been caught going up river.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Well from what i've read thus far i reckon i wll chance this batch, but avoid in future me thinks

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by niceguybob
LOL.. Nice one Mojo....A good smack to the head with a mackeral never hurt a solid marriage.

I don't know the migratory(that the right word?) habits of fish... I don't know how far they swim around in the ocean. Salmon go North and South like birds? Or East and West? And/or How far? Dunno.

So far, I don't trust ANY reports saying it's safe to eat seafood from the Gulf.

So NOW I have to worry about who's making the reports what's safe to eat from the Pacific..

Uh Ohhh. Not Good..

Oh...And I have'nt eaten ANY fish caught by San Onfre Power plant in years. And I have asked where the fish is caught for years too.

If Long John Silvers starts slashing prices...Wondor if they got a "deal" on the fish?

NOW what are we going to be able to eat?

Guess you didn't catch Taco Bell's new 99-cent "fish taco"? I think it came out in February. It made me laugh like crazy until I realized how mindbendingly sad it was.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Unless it's caught within a few hundred miles of Fukushima then it's 99.9% safe from radiation - there are of course many other sources of radiation, many of then natural. And to be safe I'd never eat a fish that had eaten a banana..... On the other hand, if it's wild, then it almost certainly contains microscopic pieces of plastic.
edit on 6-4-2011 by Essan because: typo

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Maybe I'll ask the boss if we can get a geiger counter for the fish that we get from the pacific.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
What a great idea....I'm going to stockpile my "dolphin safe, fancy albacore" immediatly.

I used to buy "water in can" because I thought the oil had too many calories..then I hear..no, the oil is added nutritional value.

"Nuclear Sluge" will probably NOT go on the cans as an ingrediant.

I'm really going to go buy 20-30 cans.

new topics

top topics

join