It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Thought The Koch Brothers Were Bad? Turns Out They Are Even Worse Than You Thought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
alternet

You knew they were big. You knew they were evil. From the union-busting actions of their minions in Wisconsin and Ohio to their war on health-care reform, to their assault on the environment and their attacks on the science of climatology, Charles and David Koch have earned their place as the focus of progressives' scrutiny in the age of the Tea Party -- the destructive and regressive movement they bankroll. But a new report from the Center for American Progress Action Fund shows that, as bad as you thought the Kochs were, they're actually worse. And their reach into virtually every aspect of political, economic and physical life on the planet is probably greater than you thought possible.

Consider, for example, the significant part the Koch brothers played in Wall Street's devastation of the economy:

Consider, for instance, the Kochs' role in the financial business. You thought Koch Industries was just a high-polluting oil-and-gas-based conglomerate? Add in the part played on Wall Street by Koch Supply & Trading, and the depth of the Koch imprint on the economy is revealed. From Carrk's report:

First, the Koch brothers fought efforts to give the Commodity Futures Trading Commission more oversight over speculative trading, whereby companies can artificially inflate prices on things such as oil, during the Wall Street reform debate. One of the Koch companies—Koch Supply & Trading—takes part in oil and derivatives trading. We should point out that oil speculation has reached an all-time high at the same time gas prices continue to skyrocket.

So we can thank the Koch brothers for contributing to the escalation of our gas prices through their sizable participation in the out-of-control speculation on Wall Street, which as you know brought us the current state of our economy. They not only own an oil and gas conglomerate that is directly raising prices at the pump, they are controlling the market for it.

Great guys. But hey, they're the result of unrestrained capitalism, which so many of us on ATS think is the salvation of our country and it's economy. Just look at how many jobs they are creating (sarcasm).

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Ahh, unrestrained capitalism... this is what the teaparty people think will save us. These are the same people who want to keep me from getting a raise and make me stay home with no pay (govt. worker). In good times nobody wants my job because I don't make as much as I could in private industry, but when the economy tanks they want to take what little I have worked for away. Greedy ba#^#$ds.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Two words:

George Soros.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I do not want to defend Koch, but there are many markets suffering from inflation due to speculation on the future markets, food is another big one. Yeah Koch are evil, but so is wall street. Where do you think the money comes from for their multi million and billion dollar bonuses, the people and price we all pay. The Fed all needs putting down as well for giving away $100 Trillion since the GFC and the effect on inflation that has. The election has not even started and it looks like the mud is already starting to fly.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

people who love to spout capitalism are delusional. they are brainwashed. slavery was a form of capitalism!!

slave traders and slave owners were capitalists!!

capitalism is like a game of poker where the rich guy goes all in each round, noone else can call his raise, so they are forced to fold everytime losing their ante.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

DANG, this did it. I liked some of the beers in the sam adams sampler (noble pils).. no way will i buy that brand beer anymore.

I just realized the "koch" on the bottle.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

That's a good analogy. No matter what happens with the economy, the richest few make money off it. In fact, they are the ones who manipulate it so they know what's coming. And you're right, if we try to play they take everything.

On another note, I'd keep on enjoying that Sam Adams, I can't imagine Jim Koch is any relation. At least I hope not. As a beer brewer myself, I'd be ashamed...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

The Koch bros don't want to promote freedom for anyone other than large corporations. The freedom for them to pay what they want, provide no benefits or retirement and leave the American working man, nothing more than slaves to a Right Wing Fascist system.

There needs to be a list of all Koch bros. companies so we people that support the middle class and the American working man can boycott them.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Just Wondering...

Does Koch Supply & Trading sell Guillotines

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

GOOD POINT Mr.Two worder,
Now what should a good American want for America given the situation which you and the previous poster pointed out?

What do you think of "PUBLIC FINANCING" of all elections, federal state and local?

What do you think of the recent Supreme Court decision "Citizens United"??

Do you agree that all special interest money influencing our government has a corrosive effect on democracy?

Do you agree that what is referred to as the "Special Interest" accounts for perhaps only 2% of he U.S. Population??

If you agree with the previous question then how is it that only 2% of the U.S. population interest is special ?

Why isn't the interest of the remaining 98% of the U.S. population special?

Could the answer to the previous question have something to do with things like "Citizens United"?

Do you know what the "Citizens United decision is ?

So yes I agree with you, both the Koch brothers money and George Soros money is corrosive to our democracy. To our Liberty as Liberty is defined as the "Power to choose"

Oh ya one final question. Why do you think Americans are so divided and seem to have such hateful speech for one another when we all Love our native land? If we are one nation under God then why are we two different camps? Who's interst does this divisiveness serve? Sorry it wasn't one final question. I seem to have a whole lot of questions but very few answers. Hope you can help me with these questions.
With best regards
Richc

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

Thanks for that info, I'm not buying Sam adams either.
richc

new topics

top topics

join