It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barking dogs, get rid of them!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
work with animals....I have for about the last 20 years and before that I was, and have always been an avid animal lover. I do not consider myself "whiny" nor does anyone I know...nor would you if you met in person...I guarantee it. For starters let put blame where blame lie...on owners not the innocent animals. I wish all people had to work in the field of animals for one month! To see the things we see.....it is an unintelligent and ignorant individual that takes out their frustrations on an innocent animal instead of the responsible owner. The canine is an extremely social animal and has/needs companionship....why in heavens name idiot people get a dog and then stick it out in the yard, I'll never know!? So they can say "Yep, I got a dog? A dog usually barks out of boredom and/or trying to get attention.....barking is their only way of communication...sorta like if YOU were locked up somewhere alone yelling :bnghd: I would suggest that if you are having problems with a barking dog that you confront the owners nicely and explain the problem, (though I'm sure they know)...if that fails, I would do it again...stronger...I would then, if that doesn't work, call animal control....DO NOT write a note and put it in the mail box. For one, it's cowardly and "whiney" and secondly, it's illegal.

EDIT: And people wonder about the world being a cold mean place....look at "humans" and I use the word lightly here, suggesting to kill a defenseless animal instead of standing up to the owner.....and then have the stupidity to call the dog lovers "whiney"

[Edited on 8/11/2004 by LadyV]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I live in one of those oh-so-glorious anti-social neighborhoods with nice houses all smushed together so that privacy becomes a fenced-in yard and you only wave at your neighbors in the neighborhood - not if you see them in the grocery store...

So going off of that - my next door neighbor's dog...Moose - eh he...yeah....Moose....sits outside all day and destroys a new little plush toy at least once a week, spreading the cotton filling all over her front yard while he's chained up to one of the columns - at night she sometimes forgets to let him in and he sits out there and starts to bark....he's mixed with chow and pit bull and st. bernard...and he's just a big loud mut of a dog. He starts to bark even once, I quit what I'm doing - I yell out the back door for it to shut up and then if it barks again I go next door and ring her doorbell and have a nice chat with her....

We have one of those neighborhood association things, and this lady is starting to annoy everyone, so I'm thinking maybe something will be done about it

But I own a golden retriever (Spencer) and a pit bull (Dante) myself - I've always owned dogs, and I've found that it's all about how you train them....Spencer has never barked probablly b/c he was abused and is epileptic....Dante won't bark b/c he knows better - but like Amuk said...I'll know if someone's creeping in on me when they start making the sounds - lol

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
I live in one of those oh-so-glorious anti-social neighborhoods with nice houses all smushed together so that privacy becomes a fenced-in yard and you only wave at your neighbors in the neighborhood - not if you see them in the grocery store...

So going off of that - my next door neighbor's dog...Moose - eh he...yeah....Moose....sits outside all day and destroys a new little plush toy at least once a week, spreading the cotton filling all over her front yard while he's chained up to one of the columns - at night she sometimes forgets to let him in and he sits out there and starts to bark....he's mixed with chow and pit bull and st. bernard...and he's just a big loud mut of a dog. He starts to bark even once, I quit what I'm doing - I yell out the back door for it to shut up and then if it barks again I go next door and ring her doorbell and have a nice chat with her....

We have one of those neighborhood association things, and this lady is starting to annoy everyone, so I'm thinking maybe something will be done about it

But I own a golden retriever (Spencer) and a pit bull (Dante) myself - I've always owned dogs, and I've found that it's all about how you train them....Spencer has never barked probablly b/c he was abused and is epileptic....Dante won't bark b/c he knows better - but like Amuk said...I'll know if someone's creeping in on me when they start making the sounds - lol

Sounds like you know what your doing...it is NOT that dogs fault...it is the owner that needs the hatred not the poor pet....I have four dogs, a Pit, a Pit mix, a miniature schnauzer and toy munchkin...they are trained well, do not stay outside other than for play times and to potty and do not disturb my neighbors...it's all in training your pet as your supposed to if your a responsible pet owner!

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I would advise against directly confronting anyone who's too inconsiderate to control his mutt, unless you want to end up like this individual:

the.honoluluadvertiser.com...

who I'm sure would be congratulating himself on how unlike a "coward" he is if he were still alive.

I would advise against sleeping with earphones as in the long term you can develop a dependence on them. White noise from speakers would be good if it actually succeeded in drowning out the mutt's barking. And soundproofing? sure, if the dog's owner wants to pay for it. Otherwise I can think of a cheaper solution...

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
If you can't/won't talk to a neighbor about the problem...which I have certainly done on an occasion, then take someone with you to do it...as to your "cheap" methods, I would strongly advise against that......there are plenty of news stories of people being shot or stab in altercations because the dog owner thought the other person ahs hurt their dog. Killing an animals doe not take care of the problem......the y will get another dog and repeat the same behavior.....it has to start with the owner. Besides, what kind of person kills an innocent? Someone that has something seriously wrong with their character!

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
[What was I thinking?]

Anyway, yes not all people can just dismiss the barking dog next door. It can be a serious problem.

[Edited on 13-8-2004 by RANT]

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This is kind of like telling people to get rid of their babies because they cry...I'm a huge dog lover

Although if I lived in an apartment complex and wanted a dog I would probably not get a breed of dog who is known to be vocal...some dogs bark more than others...but all dogs bark!

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I say take it a step further and kill all dogs. At least cats kill mice, but what do dogs do? Sit around and lick their own balls. Retched, moronic beasts!

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Pet owners are responsible for their dogs. I have two dogs, a rottweiler and a pit bull. They do not bark while I'm away, and they certainly do not bark while I'm home. I gave permission to my neighbors to correct my dogs if they started to bark. They have both told me that my dogs are as quiet as can be while I'm away.

I do not approve of dogs constantly barking. There is something wrong, and it's up to the owners to correct it. My dogs do occassionally bark at the neighbor's 'guest' dog, but he's a moronic, psycho pit bull that tries to eat through chain link fences! What do you expect?!

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
How does one "correct" your dog from barking...besides using one of those shock collars (which i think are cruel). If you can't stand barking then don't get a dog...

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
I say take it a step further and kill all dogs. At least cats kill mice, but what do dogs do?

Try breaking into my house and see......LOL

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lecky
How does one "correct" your dog from barking...besides using one of those shock collars (which i think are cruel). If you can't stand barking then don't get a dog...

You "correct" a dog just like you would correct most children, verbally. My dogs respond to a firm "no" quite well. I'm not abusive to my animals, if that's what you're getting at. Bark up someone else's tree.

Even if I didn't have a dog, how would that protect my ears from the barking dogs next door?

[Edited on 8/19/2004 by Bangin]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Damn I hear ya people. We had our neighboor expulsed from town because there was too many people complaining about her and her dozens of barking dogs. She owned a pet shop, so she always had lots of animals at her house.

Not to speak about those dirty and stinky horses she had, and that DAMN annoying and loud goat who was yelling all day.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Netchicken

Happilly, here in Europe, barking dog owners can be fined by the police!
That's what I did, 2 years ago, when my neigbour put a dog in the yard, that barked day and night.
Police came twice, fined him twice... and the dog desapeared!
Regards from Tony.
Portugal.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
there are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

why, because just like a child it is up to you to make sure its needs are fulfilled on a daily basis and is properly trained to fit in society.

dont have time to walk it? then a dog isnt for you
dont want to spend regular time with it? a dog isnt for you.

dogs are pack animals and NEED companionship.

you know what the worst thing a pack of wild dogs can do to one of its members? exclude it from the pack, forcing it to spend time alone.
they dont understand being chained up all day or locked outside alone all the time. they wonder what they have done wrong to deserve being isolated from the pack!

i have 2 large dogs, live in the city and have an average sized back yard.
i play ball or frisbee with my dogs SEVERAL times a day till they get puffed out.

recently we moved house and ive started to walk them around some of the local parks.
they have never walked off a leash before, and never seen ducks. but at the local lake my dogs just stroll alongside me, because they KNOW that running off or chasing animals wont be tolerated by me.

yelling and getting stressed only passes this emotion on to the dog, he becomes more alert and hyper to your actions. stay calm and relaxed and the pet generally does the same.

oh, and i walk my dogs on a harness because i have built trust with them and they have trust in me as pack leader.
NEVER EVER use a choker chain and inflict pain on your pets throat, neck, wind pipe etc to get it to fall in line.

i remember the first time i went to dog training over 20yr ago the first thing they said is..

"we DONT train your dog here"
everyone was like WTF ?!?!

"we train YOU to train your dog"

positive reinforcement works better than negative.
negative forces them to be unwilling to try things, or be a bit skiddish because of a fear of doing wrong.

positive encourages the right actions, and discourages the negatives without the need for smacking etc.

oh and to all you who say "hey i yell at the damn thing when it barks" remember this

when a dog barks and you start yelling, the dog thinks your joining in with the loud barking.

walk your dog regular
make sure it gets regular food and water.
it requires mental stimulation with ball games and stuff
you CAN teach an old dog new tricks if your a half decent pet owner/trainer.
spend some time with your pet, you will trust it and it will trust you.
building a strong bond with your pet encourages it to "follow the pack leaders directions"
DONT EVER make a big sook and fuss over your pet when you leave or arrive home. it encourages this behaviour.

i get home and my dogs bark a bit with excitement till i get in the door.
when they enter and walk past i give them a brief, light pat across teh head with my hand and say "hello boys"

no ooh, i miss you, mooch mooch cuddle cuddle, ooh, mummy dont wanna go out, mummy miss her boys.. its sickening to do that over a pet and is a SEVERE contributor to seperation anxiety disorder.

seperation anxiety disorder can be corrected but its not easy, unfortunately the end is not good for most of these pets because after many years of allowing this to happen it becomes harder to break the cycle, but not impossible.

[edit on 6/10/08 by Obliv_au]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS This worked twice for me. Total cost for one treatment is about 6 bucks. Purchase 4 dozen jumbo eggs. If you're patient set them out in the sun for a few days until ripe or just use fresh. At night and when the dog owner is not a home, pelt his house with the entire four dozen eggs. Leave note that says your dog's barking is a nuisance, enjoy the eggs. If no response, apply a second treatment. It is best from the start to not complain to the dog owner or your neighbors and especially not the cops otherwise you will be suspected as the egg thrower. Don't get caught throwing the eggs and don't let ANYONE know you did it, not even your wife. Might need to apply treatment again someday. Worked twice. One neighbor got rid of the dog and the other after three treatments moved. Key to success is the amount of eggs you deliver.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
A barking dog is usually untrained and/or unhappy.

Cats don't bark.....get a cat.

Worst times I have with my cats is when they all purr together SO loud on the bed I can't sleep. I love it and end up smiling myself into sweet slumber.

Prrrrrrrrrr Prrrrrrrrrrrr Prrrrrrrrrr Prrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dogs have masters,
Cats have servants!

Chill out dog haters, visit the "Show Us Your Kitties" thread and go "aaaahh!"

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Police came twice, fined him twice... and the dog desapeared!

Did you get an invite to the Barbecue?

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

That sounds like a great idea....except I live in a small apartment right next to the dog owner and I've already brought it up to her that her tiny annoying dog barks nonstop while shes gone. She practically laughed in my face and didnt do a thing to change her dog's barking. But what did I expect, she's puerto-rican.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join