It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

breaking news ancient books-uncovered-in-jordan-may-date-to-start-of-christianity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
A picture and article is located at this link More info and a picture

I find this to be interesting because of the fact that these books were located in Jordan which is and was a sacred place. If these books do lead back to the start of christianity it will be a major breakthrough and possibly answer some long unanswered questions.

However this could also be another discovery that points in a direction of another discovery that could lead us the answer.

One of the largest and best-preserved collections of ancient sealed books has been discovered in a cave in Jordan and are believed to be some of the earliest Christian documents, according to the BBC.

The 70 tiny books could date back to the first century. Carbon dating tests found that a piece of leather found with the scrolls was over 2000 years old.

Experts say the books, made of lead and copper and bound by rings, may be more significant than the Dead Sea Scrolls, BBC reports.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kid_cudi

This was already posted but is an awesome read!
Did give me new info though.
Thanks!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by PoopDawg

Thanks. I did a search and couldn't find anything so I thought I'd post it.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by kid_cudi

Yeah, the last I heard on it was that they were trying to authenticate it, with the leather being that old its pretty clear to me.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I saw an antiquities scholar interviewed about the find and he said it appeared they had the same markings as a similar find a couple of years ago in that location. They were determined to be fake.

So don't get your hopes up.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sara123123

My hopes aren't up but it would be really awesome if they were real. Look at the picture though! It just doesn't seem fake at all. I see what your saying though.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Coast to Coast AM had a lecturer by the name of Ken Hanson speak about the Jordan Codices last Sunday. This kind of stuff intrigues me and I hope that these books get a fair and honest scholarly review on their authenticity. Could be that they were a missionaries pocket sized book of Christianity for spreading the word.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I'm going to post this question here since its the most recent thread

I've googled till I'm blue - they claim 'carbon dating' was done - but no one cites who did it - so my question is.. does anyone know IF they've done carbon dating, and if so, who did it, and what were the results?

seems to me it would be a reasonably quick end to the debate of whether or not its real (then we can get back to debating if carbon dating is accurate)

top topics

join