It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Clinton Had to Modify Book for British Publication

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Britain has tough libel laws and so for Bill Clinton to remove any chance of him getting sued he had to make a few modifications to his recently published book, My Life. Most of the changes made were to portions that referred to Ken Starr. The book continues to sell well in America and the UK despite claims of inaccuracies from critics.

www.nytimes.com
New York Times
Saturday Arts & Ideas Section
July 24, 2004
Changing His 'Life' to Suit British Law
By EDWARD WYATT

Former President Bill Clinton does not like Kenneth W. Starr, the former independent counsel whose investigation of Mr. Clinton's sexual liaisons led to his impeachment. But he might still fear him, at least in Britain.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The book has actually sold quite well in Britain, and has sold 1.5 million copies in the US even though many passages are questionable.

For just one example, in this article, www.haaretzdaily.com...

Ehud Barak claims that Bill Clinton misreprepresents portions of peace talks that were held in January of 2000 by stating that he (Bill Clintion) was responsible for the breakdown of Israeli-Syrian relations when Barak claims that Clinton was not even present for many of the meetings.

[edit on 7/25/2004 by lockheed]

[edit on 7-25-2004 by Valhall]

Q

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
That is so messed up. An American writes a book, and is liable under UK law because the book is sold there? WTF?

Isn't that kind of like the Iranians wanting to kill Salman Rushdie for a book written half a world away?

If I make an inflammatory post on this board and it is read in the UK, does that make me liable? (Not that I would, love ya Brits!
)

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q
If I make an inflammatory post on this board and it is read in the UK, does that make me liable? (Not that I would, love ya Brits!
)

You're on a Brit owned board. Welcome to the World Wide Web.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:30 AM
link   
You say this is British owned, Rupert Murdoch owns most of UK media doesn't he? Does he own this board too?

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:33 AM
link   
No. That would be SimonGray of Swindon, England.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
rupert murdoch is australian. he married a brit & does own several businesses here

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
rupert murdoch is australian. he married a brit & does own several businesses here

Both countries must be so proud

Just kidding Rupert, please dont bounce me off the board

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I think this story just shows you how crappy the US libel laws are... and how crappy Bill Clinton's book is

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Not US libel laws, UK libel laws.

Here in the UK you can be sued just for looking at someone funny.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Oh, ya... maybe its a compromise, US libel laws are a bit to easy and UK libel laws are a good bit to harsh

top topics

join