It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Facebook dead yet?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The only time im on facebook is when I'm listening to a boring lecture in class, or when im really bored at work XD
But I still like facebook, I dont think its as bad as people make it out to be. Those who become addicted are usually not very smart, especially some stay at home moms *cough cough* ( my gf's mom)
But I enjoy it for posting information, like videos and threads from this site. It is a great resource for people looking to spread the word around, just try not to waste all your time on it.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Finding all these hillarious but true videos about FB....

FB can mess up relationships

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
If you use FB as a contact tool, and a notification page you'll do fine. Who is doing what, when, and where, stuff like that. But if all you want to do is pick fights, play lots of games, etc. then you'll get bored fast. FB is also good as a business page as well. Not to mention you can do some other blog related stuff too.

The trouble with people is that to many people the internet is a drug of choice, and alternate reality. When the personal computer first came out we had the "chat rooms", remember that ? I knew people that were doing chat like heroin and crack combined. They were so totally disconnected that they couldn't function in the real world. And I knew someone else that spent so much time on the computer that she literally erased the letters off the keys of the keyboard. She typed faster than anything I ever saw before, and didn't need to know where the letters were, she was like the pinball wizard.

We could upgrade the conversation to cell phones, ipods, blackberries, etc. as well. It used to be when you saw someone walking down the street with their hand on their ear talking to themselves that men in white coats usually showed up to take them away. Now people can't figure out why you're not linked up, hooked in, and online all day 24-7-365.

We could sure use a good EMP pulse right about now.

edit on 6-4-2011 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

FB is like Google, btw, it isn't going anywhere anytime soon... as in when my mom has joined something online it's a pretty good indicator for its long lasting, mass appeal.

Didn't they say the same thing about MySpace some time ago!?!
Like all trends in our society whether they are fashion, collectables, internet based, food, celebrities, etc., they all have to end sometimes. Years ago 'beepers' were the in thing, remember those? But mobile phones took the place of them and cell phones soon after. Atari was the coolest thing ever until Intellivision, then Colecovision, all the way to Saga, PS1 to 3, so on and so forth, and yes it is still fun to play Atari once in a while but if I had to make a choice between Yars Revenge and Bioshock 2 well PS3 would win! Michael Jackson attire, that ridiculous red leather jacket specifically, was the thing to wear at one time also. And NO I didn't own or wear one EVER! Would you go out wearing this now?
Google is working on something right now that may trump Facebook or it may not, but if it doesn't I would bet any amount of money something else will soon after.
edit on 4/6/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

While normally I would agree with you there is a broader user investment in Facebook than in MySpace. MySpace was more like the wild west, and it came at time before people understood how these mediums can be used against them, as in unwanted attention from marketers skimming information. Facebook is more closed off and legal in its data collection, and because it forces the use of real identities, the "nutso anon teen angst troll suckers" don't really materialize there.

The investment of people found and added as friends along with its photo repository make FB an ideal communications medium for all generations, including my mom's (she won't likely switch to another social tool since she painstakingly scanned and added tons of family photos and more and more of her friends join each day).

Like everything, use it in moderation. But be careful too, what you say on there (and here) can be used against you. And if you truly are a little out there, best to use the phone then... but not smartphones because that's a whole other can of worms.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
in all honesty facebook is to blame for a lot of bad things...

check out this story over mothers fighting over a facebook comment,were one of them goes round the other persons house,barges in the front door and stabs the other woman over some comment...so it does have its pitfulls..
but then you have to think,can you blame facebook or blame society as a whole.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

From what I hear the new systems they are working on will solve these issues and be 'better' in all sorts of ways. One function, which I believe they will include (I would because it is an excellent marketing strategy) will be to somehow link the two sites together for information transfer.
Even if these new sites don't, if something cooler comes along the youth will follow and once that happens all that will be left is the older generations who don't care about being cool.
And trust me, I'm not old enough to forget, it's much more fun being in a place where your parents and relatives are not!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I don't think anything anyone says pro-facebook is going to catch any attention here. This seems to be simply a post for bashing on facebook, which seems quite sad, but to each their own.

Listen, if you don't like it, stay off of it. If your friends use it too much, bring it up to them, but this doesn't seem to be anything but pointing out the bad things facebook has to offer. I've seen several posts now with great points about reconnecting with friends, finding long lost family members, etc and of course those aren't relevant because they don't trash on facebook.

What a waste of a topic....

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockstar02

Oh, there are about 47 flags and 11 pages worth of comments that disagree with you.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
lol, facebook is kinda ridicilous, but I use it to stay in touch with all the people i met in my life. It depends on how you use it. most member seem to spend a lot of hours playing these infantile games like farmville, and maffia and posting utter nonsense. But you know, that is your choise. As a communication means it's fantastic I think, just like twitter. It all depends on how you use it.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

11 pages of close minded people who think Facebook is the devil in disguise and have taken to doing nothing but bashing it. If people would simply click around a little bit, they would understand that you can turn fb into a tool, not a nuisance. But since it's "keeping us on the grid" and "letting big brother watch us", it's bad bad bad. Give me a break

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I had a three month stint on the whole faceplant thingy. I was constantly updated on "vital" info such as: "My horse radish garden is out of control! LOL!!!" "My son Andrew's farts are so bad it could peel the paint off the walls! LOL." Hilarious youtube video of someone getting kicked in the crotch. Cindy likes a local restaurant, and was kind enough to tell everyone about it. "I'm making chili today, mmmmm, smells sooo goood..." Someone I don't know just invited me to be their friend! Yippeeee!!!! Kyle liked my comment, and Bart posted a message on my wall! I'm so frickin popular, I now have eighty two Facebook friends! Etc, etc....Ad nauseam...

I soon came to the realization that talking infantile masturbation on a daily basis was not in my best interest, and a monumental waste of time. Remembering that there is a myriad of topics to be discussed on ATS with a variety of members with IQ's above mud unlike my facebook "friends" prompted me to delete my account and leave the nonsense behind.

From now on, I consider ATS my online family. Where else can you discuss such matters as UFO's, meta physics, government corruption, gnomes, weather manipulation, earthquake data, Atlantis, lost civilizations and the like?

I couldn't care less about the smell of farts and horseradish gardens, or the fact that so and so's son has just come out of the closet. Facebook is fine for the somewhat provincial, but if one craves a bit more intellectualism in their diet I recommend ATS.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockstar02

I don't think anything anyone says pro-facebook is going to catch any attention here. This seems to be simply a post for bashing on facebook, which seems quite sad, but to each their own.

Listen, if you don't like it, stay off of it. If your friends use it too much, bring it up to them, but this doesn't seem to be anything but pointing out the bad things facebook has to offer. I've seen several posts now with great points about reconnecting with friends, finding long lost family members, etc and of course those aren't relevant because they don't trash on facebook.

I personally was only expressing my experience with Facebook, I apparently am not Facebook approved though!
I reconnected with friends and found long lost family members also but now I Skype or talk on the phone with them instead of typing at there pictures.

Listen, if you don't like it, stay off of it! (Should I put this in quotes for you)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Good thing I saw this thread to day (as well as others like it on the topic) tht on the same page as me about FACEBOOK.

Well. I have saved my oldie but goodie pics from there and sent out a mass FB message (to the real friends and relatives) :

" I am deleting my account, here's my email and cell. Keep in touch anytime!'

Bout to begin deletion.............

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
facebook isnt dead. the u.s govt just used it to overthrow mubarek, ben ali, and create chaos in libya

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

so instead of saying " it's nice you enjoy facebook, but it's not for me" you sit in this thread as a faceless internet entity judging others. man you are so enlightened and cool!
some of you people....i just don't get.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstar02
reply to post by TriForce

11 pages of close minded people who think Facebook is the devil in disguise and have taken to doing nothing but bashing it. If people would simply click around a little bit, they would understand that you can turn fb into a tool, not a nuisance. But since it's "keeping us on the grid" and "letting big brother watch us", it's bad bad bad. Give me a break

Only a closed minded person would call people that dont agree with them closed minded.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I know exactly what your saying! My game of choice was frontierville. I was on at least twice a day. You're right, it's like facebook is set up to keep people on 24-7. It was consuming my free time and I decided i'd had enough so one day I just quit playing and deleted my account. Really is a waste of time. Now i'm on this site everyday now, but at least the info on here is interesting. RIP Facebook

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Would you have found those family members or friends without facebook? If so, how much more quickly? The reason you can skype and whatever you do with them is because you found them....on facebook.

And personally I thought ATS was about "alternative news"...I must be mistaken though when I log on to see 11 pages of trashing on facebook with nothing but the excuses of "it's mindless dribble" when all you have to do is click your mouse twice to get away from it...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Man, I couldn't agree with you more on your description of Facebook. Add on top of that the frequent privacy scares and the Facebook collaboration with the government for who knows what reasons, I just choose to stay away - I simply view it as another tool to gather and influence the sheeple.

Any time there is a product or even worse, a social networking site that gathers all your private information and that of all your contacts, and then the government approves of the site and has no issues with it, I think it's just an extension of the RealityTV scam used to deaden our minds and keep the masses docile.

But in the end, Facebook just never felt right and the leadership gives me the creeps. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Khar

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join