It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record depletion of ozone recorded over Arctic-UN

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
www.reuters.com...

"Depletion of the ozone...has reached an unprecedented level over the Arctic this spring because of the continuing presence of ozone-depleting substances in the atmosphere and a very cold winter in the stratosphere," the WMO said in a statement.

Observations from the ground, balloons and satellites show that the region has suffered an ozone column loss of about 40 percent from the beginning of the winter to late March, according to the United Nations agency.

Well this is disheartening and the effects could be far-reaching. For every 1% of the ozone that is depleted, 2% more UV-B reach the Earth's surface, thus an increase in the number of skin cancer cases.

The environment will also be negatively affected by ozone depletion. The life cycles of plants will change, disrupting the food chain. Effects on animals will also be severe, and are very difficult to foresee.

Oceans will be hit hard as well. The most basic microscopic organisms such as plankton may not be able to survive. If that happened, it would mean that all of the other animals that are above plankton in the food chain would also die out. Other ecosystems such as forests and deserts will also be harmed.

The planet's climate could also be affected by depletion of the ozone layer. Wind patterns could change, resulting in climatic changes throughout the world.

library.thinkquest.org...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever

Well this is disheartening and the effects could be far-reaching. For every 1% of the ozone that is depleted, 2% more UV-B reach the Earth's surface, thus an increase in the number of skin cancer cases.

Hmm I was reading this on a Dutch website too. But you say the UV-B increases by 2%, but that would be on the pole right?

Also, the site I was reading mentioned that the Ozone is restoring itself and should be back to pre-1980 levels within the next 20-40 years...
edit on 5-4-2011 by snewpers because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
good find. to bad no one will pay attention because its over the Arctic and not right over their heads so they dont care. anyway good find

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Why isn't anyone asking why the ozone is still depleting despite the ban on hydroflorocarbons in 1990s that was supposed to fix this problem?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
It may not happen soon, but we as a people are wiping out our own planet. We KNOW that what we are doing, in our industries, is destroying the ecosystem. Yet, all we see are ads on tv telling us that this or that company is working sooo hard to be environmentally friendly, while turning record profits. They seem to think since they're rich, it won't effect them. The only good part is, they are on the same planet, stuck with the same results.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Would'nt this melt the ice caps? and course a massive flood where we will all die?!?!?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jbones
good find. to bad no one will pay attention because its over the Arctic and not right over their heads so they dont care. anyway good find

You're exactly right. People don't seem to care about anything unless it directly effects them. The article does mention that this hole could shift:

"If the ozone depleted area moves away from the pole and towards lower latitudes one can expect increased ultraviolet UV.L radiation as compared to the normal for the season," WMO said, adding that the public should check their national UV forecasts.

www.reuters.com...

And whether we care to admit it, this could have an indirect effect on all of us.

UV-B rays have been linked to skin cancer, cataracts and damage to the human immune system. "Some crops and forms of marine life can also suffer adverse effects," the agency said.

edit on 5-4-2011 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
Why isn't anyone asking why the ozone is still depleting despite the ban on hydroflorocarbons in 1990s that was supposed to fix this problem?

Tired of Control Freaks

It seems it takes these chemicals a long time to break down.

Nevertheless, due to the long lifetimes of these compounds in the atmosphere, it will take several decades before their concentrations return to pre-1980 levels, the target laid down in the 1987 pact, it said.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Caution: This report is from the UN.

Which means it is likely wrong.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Caution: This report is from the UN.

Which means it is likely wrong.

Exactly my thought when I was posting it. I thought, 'Hell they're probably lying to us anyhow."

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
the Ozone Hole debate...

The ozone hole wasn't even discovered until 1987 in the Antartica(still looking for Artic discovery?). So with the ever changing cycles of the earth, who's to say this isn't the norm?

www.eurekalert.org...

All the scientific evidence is speculative and assumtive(?).

In 1978, the United States, Canada and Norway enacted bans on CFC-containing aerosol sprays that are thought to damage the ozone layer.

until after the discovery of the Antarctic ozone hole in 1985. After negotiation of an international treaty (the Montreal Protocol), CFC production was sharply limited beginning in 1987 and phased out completely by 1996

On August 2, 2003, scientists announced that the depletion of the ozone layer may be slowing down due to the international ban on CFCs.[

en.wikipedia.org...

In a nutshell, it all goes on who (deny,deny, deny ignorance!) you want to believe.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry to much about increasing numbers of skin cancer. Hardly anyone lives there and those who do are pretty well dressed.

I was also wondering about when an ozone hole bacame a north pole issue actually.
The reason it is bigger is easily explained. The polar vortex that was also responsible far this years nasty winter cut of a fresh supply of warmer tropical air. Ozone comes from the tropics where it is a by product of thunder storms.

Read this article from ESA : Record loss of ozone over Arctic
edit on 4/5/2011 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

Do you have they answer ? Consider it asked.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

IamaBeleiver

CFCs started being discharged at a decreased rate in 1986 - that is 24 years ago

The making of CFCs was banned in 1996 - that is 14 years ago.

And NOW there is a record hole in the Artic?????

I am thinking that CFCs never had anything to do with it in the first place.

There is another thread somewhere on ATS about how the hole in Antartica is closing over faster than could be expected from the ban on CFCs

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Here is the link for that thread on the closure of the hole in antartica

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread636321/pg1

There are more threads of this nature - just search "ozone hole in Antartica" and you will see what I mean.

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I know I've done one myself a while back. Very interesting subject with the your answer as a result.

Link

Full with links in rplies very interesting.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I was just reading a similar article, apparently it's currently over Scandinavia

Much of the destruction occurred over northern Canada last month and the depleted air mass has now shifted to Europe, but could swing back during the next few weeks, said scientists.

The article goes on to say that the depletion is almost 50% below normal...

David Tarasick, whose team at Environment Canada launches several ozone measuring balloons a week as part of the international monitoring program, said some station readings have been "nearly 50 per cent below normal."
and is expected to return to northern Canada, although they don't say when this is supposed to occur.
Although they believe this does not yet post a 'serious hazard', the article goes on to say

The protective ozone is located in the stratosphere, which starts about 10 kilometres above the ground. The ozone molecules absorb ultraviolet light and help shield people, plants and ecosystems from harmful solar radiation that has been linked to skin cancer, cataracts and crop damage.

Kind of creepy seeing the Sun's behavior lately...

Here is the full article if you'd like to review...

~I hope I did this right~

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I thought right away on seeing this announcement from the UN, as being just a cover story so no one in the world will look for other possibilities...

The ban on cfc's sure didn't seem to have any effect as others are mentioning..

The story on viewzone a year or so ago that told of those military people that turned whistleblower had said it was the overpowered tests that were being run in Alaska, but I know a lot of people will, and just laugh at that, and I don't necessarily believe it either, but it was being said..

And the same story also mentioned most or all of those whistleblowers disappeared and some were killed...

I have totally no idea if any of that was truth or fiction, but would never trust the UN just on their say-so about what caused something like this.

They say only what they are ordered to say.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

Oh don't worry, i'm sure they are at peace now. The wistle blowers. pobably had an electrical accident maybe. just guessing, that stopped their heart. accidents happen all the time, it's normal.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I wonder if this has anything to do with the wierd lightning we got here in Saskatchewan Canada last night, Clear skies last night, snow on the ground..around 11ish looked like a meteor hit, then 5 mins later another huge flash, then again another 5 mins later another flash of lightning, I don't know if these are related in anyway?? I didnt know where to put this as I am a "newbie" on this site for posting and replying, have been long time reader though. Am interested if anyone has any input on the subject, or direct me to a forum that might be related to my experience

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join