It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold and silver Ron Paul coins seized

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

EVANSVILLE, Ind. — Federal agents raided the headquarters of a group that produces illegal currency and puts it in circulation, seizing gold, silver and two tons of copper coins featuring Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul.

The organization, which is critical of the Federal Reserve, has repeatedly clashed with the federal government, which contends that the gold, silver and copper coins it produces are illegal. NORFED claims its Liberty Dollars are inflation free and can restore stability to financial markets by allowing commerce based on a currency that does not fluctuate in value like the U.S. dollar.

"They're running scared right now and they had to do something," von NotHaus told The Associated Press Friday. "I'm volunteering to meet the agents and get arrested so we can thrash this out in court."

Oh what I wouldn't give to get my hands on just a few of these.
edit on 4-4-2011 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Yeah thanks to the idiots in gov hey just quadroopled the value on those Ron Paul "Tokens" .. they were not intended for legal tender you idiot gov goons !!!!. they may be confinscating all the game room tokens next.. what a bunch of idiots that run our country eh?

makes me feel shame to say I am an American !
edit on 4-4-2011 by hbarker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Who mints, and wastes in this case, their OWN gold for an illegal purpose?...

I understand RP is a true American, but com'n..

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
Who mints, and wastes in this case, their OWN gold for an illegal purpose?...

I understand RP is a true American, but com'n..

Definitely not the smartest investment they could have made, but amusing nonetheless.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Something tells me there's a very important reason the MSM has been showing us stories of the government putting the boot down on people who're producing alternative currencies... Like they want to program us to learn that alternative currency=bad.

When it's really just a sign of the times. People are losing faith in the official currency.
edit on 4-4-2011 by DISINFORMANT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

Just thought I'd say you might want to update the subject/headline - "Fake gold and silver Ron Paul coins seized" gives the wrong impression.

And I agree with the sentiment here - I would much rather have some of this "funny money" than those blasted federal reserve notes. The founders of the Fed were genius, I'll give them that:

"Hey, let's work on Congress so we can end up with the sole responsibility for making money for the US - then charge interest on it!". Too bad some idiots, whethever out of greed or just stupidity, decided this was a good idea to go along with.

End the Fed!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I would have given my left nut to have one or two of these coins, and to have them tested by an independant lab...

Oh wait, it's not that the coins are 'fake', it's that they are not legal tender?

I thought there was something in the constitution about that...

I thought gold and silver were SUPPOSED to be the only legal tender in the US.
edit on 4-4-2011 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius

Just thought I'd say you might want to update the subject/headline - "Fake gold and silver Ron Paul coins seized" gives the wrong impression.

And I agree with the sentiment here - I would much rather have some of this "funny money" than those blasted federal reserve notes. The founders of the Fed were genius, I'll give them that:

"Hey, let's work on Congress so we can end up with the sole responsibility for making money for the US - then charge interest on it!". Too bad some idiots, whethever out of greed or just stupidity, decided this was a good idea to go along with.

End the Fed!

I simply used the title of the story. I agree though. Even when I saw it on MSN I thought the title was odd.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I remember that
It was Four years ago.
It was dumb then too

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I have some of those. Of course theyre all tarnished and worn. Never considered any numismatic value they could have. Just thought they were neat.

Should still have a few of those silver certificates around somewhere. Maybe I should try to redeem them? Or get into a class action lawsuit now that it looks like I wont ever be able to redeem them

Im going to stamp my face into some aluminum foil and see if the fed comes running with guns pointed.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Those coins will be worth WAY more then there wight in gold in about 5 years. I wish i had a pocket full.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Will be Interesting to hear Ron's take on this matter .

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
This story is over 4 years old.
Are there any updates on it?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by nolabel

source

RALEIGH, N.C. — Federal prosecutors on Monday tried to take a hoard of silver "Liberty Dollars" worth about $7 million that authorities say was invented by an Indiana man to compete with U.S. currency.

Bernard von NotHaus, 67, was convicted last month in federal court in Statesville on conspiracy and counterfeiting charges for making and selling the currency, which he promoted as inflation-proof competition for the U.S. dollar.

The fed is seeking to line its pockets with his property, and the property of his customers, today.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
NO , no updates
It was not Paul's idea to do this, but he was pissed off about it.
There should be competing currencies.
I think these were made for collectibility purposes, and to make a point, but the story is old.
Look at the byline. 2007.

BUt it still serves as a warning about how the MSM will say and do anything to take down a candidate.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Thanks for the linky.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

I don't know how it works, but I would guess they but gold from people at a lower price like those cash for gold businesses then refine it and sell it for market value in these coins.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

The only way to get around the FED is to not "mint" gold dollars(which only the States or Congress can do) but smelt gold and silver disc's. The only markings that can be on these "disc's" would have to be the weight of the disc.

The counterfeiting and conspiracy charges probably stem from him labeling it as a "dollar" or something. In order to market these "disc's" you just label them as "trade supplies" for home metal working and they are exempt from the law's banning personnel gold ownership over $300 dollars worth(? not sure of current limit).

Also since it is used for possibly "artistic" purposes it could fall under the first amendment protections.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Interesting; for whatever reason, I had not heard about these coins before. Was curious about what they looked like, and found a link on the net to sale of these coins on ebay here:

cgi.ebay.com...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Has anyone here ever bothered to read an economics book? I dont think you guys have because if you did youd realize that Ron Paul is insane. His policies on the fed are disastrous. There should be no competing currencies and its good they were arrested. Ron pauls ideas will destroy the country. I dont see why people love this guy so much.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join