It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange "crack of light" in the sky in Anchorage, Alaska

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

I'm unsure as to the exact origins of this photo, but the accompanying text reads as follows:

"A crack in time

On a drive in downtown Anchorage, Alaska, this strange light appeared in the sky. It lasted a couple of minutes and then dissapeared. [sic]"

Here is the source - I know it's not exactly credible, but I'm still intrigued by the image.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any potential explanations?
I'm not sure if this is in the wrong board or perhaps if another thread has been made, please correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
This being in Alaska, I would say that mist contained ice crystals. If you look closely you can see a building in the background. It's probably a light on that building shining through that mist and ice.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Trappestine

the photo looks like it was taken in the middle of a storm.

the visibility doesnt like it is very far, so the snow is very heavy. and it looks like it is a picture of the sun - as there is an orb in the middle of it.

strange? very.
possible tear in space / time? highly unlikely

possible explanation?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6a9bf7b7c0b3.jpg[/atsimg]

Colourful light pillars often appear in winter when snow or ice crystals reflect light from a strong source like the sun or moon. Aided by extreme cold, light pillars appear when light bounces off the surface of flat ice crystals floating relatively close to the ground. The pillars look like feathers of light that extend vertically either above or below the light source, or both.

edit on 3-4-2011 by esqONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Very interesting picture.

I don't know what it is, but it is indeed weird looking!

Maybe it is a crack in the curtain of our reality...

A girl can dream I guess.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Your right. The 4th dimension is opening. Your gods are returning humans.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
That definitely looks like a light source; I shoot tons in the winter when there's small snow crystals in the air.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
You'll notice the street lights aren't on, which means this was probably taken during the day. The heavy fog would make any light source look peculiar. It looks like there may be a building occluding part of that light source.

My guess is this light is from the sun and the "crack" is a gap between buildings, the color is washed out but that may have been deliberately done by the photographer or just due to the low light levels from the fog.

It would be nice to see the same location under better weather conditions so we know what we're looking at, as well as a N-E-S-W orientation.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
trying to find out where the picture took place and I can't tell from that picture. I don't go downtown alot and the things on the side I've never seen but I think I found where the picture originally came from

www.coasttocoastam.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Trappestine

I live in the anchorage area. This looks like a normal foggy snowy day in winter. But the way the light is cutting through is kind of odd. Wish I could have seen it. As for the second picture with the pillar of lights. I have seen that a couple of times. Makes you wonder what the heck, are aliens coming down? I better grab my tin foil hat so they can't read my mind.

The fog really makes anchorage spooky sometimes though. But other times it makes the mountain range look so cool.

top topics

join