It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Century Arms frustration

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Is there anything that Century Arms can build right? I have heard nothing but bad things about this company and I am not sure how a company with such bad press can produce anything or stay in business. I originally was looking at the Polish Tantal; something that would have been great for my collection, but after reading about Centuries oversizing the barrels, it became a question of if it was worth purchasing the weapon and replacing it with a better barrel.

Now the FAL G1 Sporter has caught my eye and I have yet to even look into its reviews at all. Too scared to.

As it seems that there is nothing the company can do right; perhaps I'll ask you all here for a list of weapons they build/rebuild that has any worth what-so-ever (it is probably shorter).

Perhaps even some of you have positive things to say about he company and I'd love to hear them to.

Also, I am still looking to add a Polish Tantal to my collection. Any help would be appreciated.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

I haven't had much luck with Eastern European designs....That's all I'll say on that.

And the Century Sporter is a rebuilt West German weapon based on the G1 but with American parts. I don't own it, but I know a few who do and they don't break it out much.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
From what I've read in the past, The FAL builds similar to how a AR system would be, eg: lower receiver, upper receiver, etc. so I think it would be harder for Century to mess up. I've heard of problems with their Golani rifles where they didn't harden the receivers correctly and they would develop cracks. One of most heard complaints I've heard has to do with their WASR Aks. WASR weapons are basically mass produced export weapons, so they aren't always going to be up to spec.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
From what I've read in the past, The FAL builds similar to how a AR system would be, eg: lower receiver, upper receiver, etc. so I think it would be harder for Century to mess up. I've heard of problems with their Golani rifles where they didn't harden the receivers correctly and they would develop cracks. One of most heard complaints I've heard has to do with their WASR Aks. WASR weapons are basically mass produced export weapons, so they aren't always going to be up to spec.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Why even generate a post about this?

"I want a new rifle, but im cheap. Hopefully someone will post telling me they arent as bad as everyone says, and i can rationalize being cheap"

Money buys quality

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I bought 2 Argentina'n 1911 pistols from them that were dirt cheap with my Collectors FFL. I used the frames and built some good shootin' 1911's. REALLY CHEAP.

They were good to me.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
You're taking a gamble with Century.

I've a Garand, a Wasr and a CETME from Century.

The Garand is from the 70's I think. Runs nice and never had any issues with it. The AK is from the 90's. Its hard to mess up an AK and it runs fine.

The CETME however was a complete mess. The bolt head was ground down, the barrel wasn't in far enough and it never functioned at all. It took a screwdriver and a pipe wrench just to cock it.

After several months of tinkering and some help from a machinist friend I now have a nicely functioning CETME that's a pleasure to shoot.

If you don't mind surprises and fixer uppers go for a Century. If you really want a nice rifle, in your case a FAL, go with DS Arms and pay a little more.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesquid

Indeed, money buys quality. There are instances where you can pay a little less for "roughly" the same item. I own several "higher end" firearms and I'll say I couldn't be happier with them. I also own a few "copies", the only problem I have had so far was with my MSAR and it was an ammo defect, nothing with the rifle itself. I owned a Norinco 1911 years ago and was laughed at for it, today...many competition shooters seek the Norinco out to build competition gun from. AS to the OP...try to avoid the "frankenstein monsters" what little "extra" you'll pay up front will reward you in reliability and aid in resell value.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
about the only bargain gun maker you can trust is RIA. otherwise spend the dime, or keep buying cheepies for wall decorations.

or just buy the century crap, never shoot it, and if shtf actually does happen only shoot it a couple of times and scavenge from your kill.

buying century is like a gm car, as good as a honda while brand new, but when it gets used it falls apart once you start using it.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this.. .I was actually thinking about Century this morning and their cheap AKs.

I will stay away from them.

Anybody have an opinion on who (country/mfr) makes quality AKs? I love my SKS, but I want something shorter. I'm not familiar with the differences, for example, between Romanian and Yugo, etc.

Of course everyone loves the gun they HAVE, but any opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
A cheap sloppy gun can usually be made into a nice firing piece with some TLC. I have a friend that is a gunsmith, and he loves buying cheap guns, tearing them down, polishing them inside and out, removing any potential problem areas, adjusting the firing pins, etc. When he is done a $100 1911 will fire better than a $2500 Kimber!

If you want to buy a cheap gun, plan on making up the difference by taking it to a good Gunsmith. You will spend the money one way or another.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Thanks for posting this.. .I was actually thinking about Century this morning and their cheap AKs.

Saiga makes a very good, very cheap AK. I bought 3, and I have put 1000's of rounds through 2 of them, and never had a jam or a problem.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesquid
Why even generate a post about this?

"I want a new rifle, but im cheap. Hopefully someone will post telling me they arent as bad as everyone says, and i can rationalize being cheap"

Money buys quality

Obviously money buys quality... But a Chevy Cavalier will get you to work just as well as a Cadillac...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

I think Century is getting better with the quality, but maybe you should look elsewhere. I recently bought a WASR 10/63. My I haven't had any problems with my Wasr, but like you have seen the horror stories. If you are looking for a G3 or a FAL look to DS Arms or PTR 91.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I've got a SAR-1 from Century and It's golden , I've got a bud that's unhappy with his WASR (How do you screw up a WASR10?) He had a canted front sight & gas block. If you want a sturdy MBR pick up a SAIGA 308 , If you really want a FAL check out DSA , I'd stay away from Century's FAL's like the plague!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

Agree with you on the Saiga .308. I read a magazine article earlier today about the Saiga .308, it was saying that they were getting a solid 2 inch group at a 100 yards with it. Not bad for an AK. I am thinking about buying a 308 rifle and the saiga is starting to look like a contender with a decent scope and converted to be an AK.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
If you have around $600 available a Saiga would be a good choice. I used to have a Saiga .12ga back when they were only $250, I shouldn't of sold it. When it comes to imported handguns, if you have any mechanical problems it will usually be the manufacturers fault. As I'm aware the only thing the importer is required to alter on handguns is to put import marks on the slide or frame, unless it was originally select fire.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Green Mountain is thinking about making a new 5.45x39 barrel, for the Polish Tantal.
I've heard that the original Tantal barrel is a soft metal design which you can burn out in a short time. I don't know whether that is true or not.

Silver bear ammo keyholes in my Tantal. But the corrosive Russian ammo works fine in my Tantal. Some say, that certain types of 5.45x39 ammo is out of mil-spec tolarances.

My Tantal can run very fast with the Tapco trigger group installed.

I would like to buy a Bulgarian AK IN 5.45X39.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Just make sure you do a thorough inspection and know what you're looking at when you buy it. Century is notorious for slapping together guns from parts kits that aren't all that great in quality.

My Draco from them is awesome, haven't had a problem.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join