It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters caged....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I wonder what our founding fathers would have thought of this....

story.news.yahoo.com.../040721/480/bx11407212244

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
That's not going to fly thats just going to piss people off more and hopefully wake them up, i'd be surprised if there is no physical confrontation with the cops...

This is bs imo, just goes to show as more time goes on we're being treated like subordinates... We all got dollar signs on our heads, we're already being manipulated and lied to, and now their going to start treating us like animals...

Something big is going to happen... Soon.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Hmmmm I am wondering if the Republican part convention was first and they used this caging system for it what the Dems would have said in the media?

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Its a hard call. Having been affected by the sometimes violent anti war protests in SF, you can't fault the police for taking precaustions. Remember what happened in Seattle? Alot of these protest have gotten out of hand and alot of groups preach active violence to meet thier ends. The days of peacefull non resistance seems to be over.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   

A new federal lawsuit has been filed against the city over the fenced-in protest area that has been called a 'demonstration zone,' and a 'free speech zone.

Hmm, no free speech outside the free speech zone!

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Its a hard call. Having been affected by the sometimes violent anti war protests in SF, you can't fault the police for taking precaustions. Remember what happened in Seattle? Alot of these protest have gotten out of hand and alot of groups preach active violence to meet thier ends. The days of peacefull non resistance seems to be over.

Read up on Seattle and you will see that the violance there was staged and the police allowed it by a group that was not involved in the protest. Very interesting story.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Yea, u think ur free... Freedom doesnt come with restrictions. We should make a new word for our "freedoms." Something on the lines of limited freedoms or "freedomlis," constricted freedom or "confreedom." That seems to explain what we have in more ways than one.

As far as violent protests, we can't make the assumption that all protests are violent. Violence at protests is illegal just like violence with a gun is illegal. While government tries to control protests, what is being done about gun control. Oh, people say, its against the 2nd amendment. Well, I doubt that caging protestors was the meaning of freedom to protest in the 1st amendment.

I think this will have the reverse effect it was meant to have. People are going to be very sore about this one, most likely blame the Bush administration, and take out their anger in other forms. I for one believe this would have been a peaceful protest, although very passionate.

The only way it could turn violent imo is if something was instigated by a faction opposite to the protestors. This will probably be the rationale for this action, to protect the protestors. Don't worry, we'll lock you up in this makeshift jail, noone will get to you then, ever, hahaha

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by factfinder38

Read up on Seattle and you will see that the violance there was staged and the police allowed it by a group that was not involved in the protest. Very interesting story.

The organizers (often ANSWER) of the campaign say violent groups are not part of the protests, but the organizers keep them around to create trouble, and then later claim the organization responsible for violence was not acting with their approval.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
People take a good look at what freedom of speech means now a day as long as the politicians have you under control and harmless to yourself and others you can protest anything you one.

I will called protest in control enviroment.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
If there's an emergency, hope someone remembers to let them out!

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   
what real good does it do to have "protestors" yelling and screaming their slogans with all those signs...i mean, does it really sway the hardened policy makers? NO. it just gets used as a political football.

i think they should concentrate on their internet outreach, and on combatting government mouthpiece radio [right wing talk radio] instead.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Its a known fact in the Law Enforcement Community that many of the larger protests hire "aggitators" (probably spelt that wrong) to stir up a crowd and to grab more media attention...I know we arent supposed to assume that a protest wont turn violent...but it's safer to assume it will....If you knew over 100,000 people would be in a 2 block radius...very much against something...would it be wiser to take precautions or just assume that everything will be okey dokie?...Play devils advocate for a minute...lets say the city didnt have fences...and didnt have a really LARGE amount of cops there...and the simple protest turned into a riot...who'd be to blame?...Damn sure aint gonna be the rioters...because all the news would show is cops dressed in SWAT uniforms cuffing people...thats what happened in NYC last year in that Anti-War rally...a decent number of protestors started throwing cheap shots at cops in the crowd...and one group tried pulling a cop and the horse he was on down to the ground...but what was shown on local news...5 minutes later...when numerous other cops had to swarm the area...arrest people who were obviously over reacting...and make arrests...I was working in the area and seen some of this first hand...Most of these "peaceful" protests are just the opposite...

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The government has us by our balls now...

You can't do anything through phones, email, internet, any type of communication because of echelon, they check 3 billion + emails and phone calls everyday.

Our freedoms are being ripped from us and they aren't even trying to hide it now, apparantly to resist occupation is a threat to them, it's not the terrorists their really after, it's us citizens... We're pretty much pieces of # to them, the people that works for echelon are #ing sell outs, how can people subject their rights to the government? this is scary stuff people.

I was watching history channel last night and they had a special on secret tunnels, caves, and underground cities...

The government built a huge underground city back in 62 in case of nuclear war, it was only suited to fit all of congress and gov't officials.

They don't give a # about the people, funny if there was a nuclear war, they think they could still broadcast their bs on the television to make sure people knew they were still governing... But who the hell would be alive if it we were nuclearized??

Government is getting more and more appalling as the times move forward.

Telling the protestor's they can protest from the confines of a concentration camp like setup is not freedom, it's far from, anything outside those boundries is forbidden...

Very disheartening...

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Not relevent to the cage but still a free speech issue.

news.independent.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Yea, u think ur free... Freedom doesnt come with restrictions.

Then thank goodness we're not free.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies

You can't do anything through phones, email, internet, any type of communication because of echelon, they check 3 billion + emails and phone calls everyday.

Good thing it's physically impossible for them to do anything about them, except for the ones that say "Hey, let's go blow up the post office."

The government has limited time, money and manpower. Those '3 billion emails' are computer-scanned for keywords, if that. I'm very wary of such a high number.

top topics

join