It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some of the greatest ever unsolved mysteries.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I love reading about unsolved mysteries, here are some of my most favourite picks, i hope you enjoy the read

The Mysterious Antikythera Mechanism

The Antikythera Mechanism is considered to be one of the most intriguing ancient mysteries of all time.

This particular item has been identified by professionals as the first official mechanical based computer and calculator. It was originally created in order to calculate positions associated with astronomy. The original discovery of this particular item was when the remains of the Antikythera wreck were recovered sometime between the year of 1900 and the year of 1901. In reviewing the Mechanism, it is believed that it was created during 150 BC. Based on the accuracy and the basic functionality of the device, it is believed to carry an immense value when it comes to basic worth.

One of the reasons that this particular item is so mysterious is that it has a high level of intricate and detailed functioning. The parts are actually quite complex. Despite the fact that it was created much earlier, it is often compared to the clocks that were created and used during the period of the 16th century. The device itself has an astounding thirty gears that are known, but there are some researchers that believe it could have originally contained over seventy gears. It is believed that the creator would enter a specific date and then could calculate the position associated with the sun and moon with exquisite accuracy. It is also believed that the location of other planets could be identified.

When looking at the mysterious Antikythera Mechanism, you will find that it possesses at least three main components referred to as “dials”. Two are on the front section while the last runs around the back. The front also possesses two distinct dials. There are also details on the unit that outline each day of the year. It even appears to have a dial that is responsible for triggering the leap year. Given the fact that the technology that this item uses is so advanced for the time period that it was created, many scientists and other researchers struggle in numerous ways trying to unravel the mysteries surrounding the device. If you are interested in ancient mysteries and various types of historical artifacts that seem to have no explanation, you are likely to find the Antikythera Mechanism quite interesting as it is considered to be one of the greatest unsolved ancient mysteries of today.

Sarcoidosis

Sarcoidosis is considered to be one of the top medical oddities of the Millennium according to medical professionals, research teams, and other professionals in the health field.

When searching A to Z medical diseases through an online medical symptoms search or through an online or offline medical symptom encyclopedia, you will quickly discover that the information is quite limited, but continues to grow as advancements in research are made. In today’s world, Sarcoidosis ranks high as one of the top medical mysteries of the Millennium. Here, you will be introduced to the basic issues and medical symptoms associated with this health related issue.

Causes and Potential Risk Factors

One of the reasons that those entire A to Z medical diseases only has limited information is due to the fact that so little is known regarding the actual cause behind this condition. Doctors and other professionals in the health field have determined that this condition does result in an immune response that is considered to be abnormal, though. Professionals simply do not understand how it is that patients experience the response that they do from the medical condition. They are also evaluating how the condition seems to move from one area of the body to another area of the body.

If you conduct a medical symptoms search, you will find that this condition typically affects women more so than men. Individuals that acquire the condition are typically as young as twenty and as old as forty. As far as ethnic groups, Sarcoidosis affects those that are considered to be African-Americans rather than those that are considered to be Caucasian. In addition to these ethnic groups, other ethnic groups are also affected by this condition. These include Puerto Ricans, Scandinavians, and others such as the Irish. To date, it is estimated that every four people out of a group of ten thousand are affected by this condition – one of the top ranking medical oddities to date.

Medical Symptoms

There are many medical symptoms related to this medical condition. If you perform a basic medical symptoms search on the internet, you will discover that there are many unique symptoms that may occur, but that they fall into one of three subtypes. These subtypes include the following:

• Dermatology

• Respiratory

• Ophthalmic

It is important to understand that there are some cases in which a patient is basically asymptomatic. What this means is, there are no symptoms that visibly appear to others. Individuals may be affected through their breathing, their skin, and even their eyes. The medical symptoms related to this illness are typically determined by the location of the body that is affected. For example, if the lungs are affected, the symptoms of pain in the chest area, a cough that is relatively dry and even shortness of breath may be experienced. In the same respect, if the neurological system of the body is affected, symptoms such as Bell’s palsy, headaches, and seizures. Many doctors view the symptoms of Sarcoidosis as medical oddities themselves.

Conclusion

As you can see, when it comes to medical oddities, this medical condition is considered to be one of the greatest medical mysteries of the Millennium. It is true that when it comes to A to Z medical diseases that this is considered to be the most challenging as far as available information is concerned. Fortunately, those that work in the medical field are consistently striving to discover more information for the public. Given the amount of time that is being spent studying this condition, it is quite likely that Sarcoidosis will eventually have its very own medical symptom encyclopedia. Until then, we will continue to classify this condition as one of the most interesting of all medical oddities and will continue our medical symptoms search for answers.

Shroud of Turin

The shroud of Turin is a linen cloth bearing the image of a man who had apparently died of crucifixion. Most Catholics consider it to be the burial shroud of Jesus Christ. It is currently held in the Cathedral of St John the Baptist in Turin, Italy. Despite many scientific investigations, no one has yet been able to explain how the image has been imprinted on the shroud and despite many attempts, no one has managed to replicate it. Radiocarbon tests date it to the middle ages, however apologists for the shroud believe it is incorrupt – and carbon dating can only date things which decay.

Prior to the middle ages, reports of the shroud exist as the Image of Edessa – reliably reported since at least the 4th century. In addition, another cloth (the Sudarium) known even from biblical times (John 20:7) exists which is said to have covered Christ’s head in the tomb. A 1999 study by Mark Guscin, a member of the multidisciplinary investigation team of the Spanish Center for Sindonology, investigated the relationship between the two cloths. Based on history, forensic pathology, blood chemistry (the Sudarium also is reported to have type AB blood stains), and stain patterns, he concluded that the two cloths covered the same head at two distinct, but close moments of time. Avinoam Danin (a researcher at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem) concurred with this analysis, adding that the pollen grains in the Sudarium match those of the shroud.

The Taos Hum

The ‘Taos Hum’ is a low-pitched sound heard in numerous places worldwide, especially in the USA, UK, and northern europe. It is usually heard only in quiet environments, and is often described as sounding like a distant diesel engine. Since it has proven indetectable by microphones or VLF antennae, its source and nature is still a mystery.

In 1997 Congress directed scientists and observers from some of the most prestigious research institutes in the nation to look into a strange low frequency noise heard by residents in and around the small town of Taos, New Mexico. For years those who had heard the noise, often described by them as a “hum”, had been looking for answers. To this day no one knows the cause of the hum.

Voynich Manuscript

The Voynich Manuscript is a medieval document written in an unknown script and in an unknown language. For over one hundred years people have tried to break the code to not avail. The overall impression given by the surviving leaves of the manuscript suggests that it was meant to serve as a pharmacopoeia or to address topics in medieval or early modern medicine. However, the puzzling details of illustrations have fueled many theories about the book’s origins, the contents of its text, and the purpose for which it was intended.

The document contains illustrations that suggest the book is in six parts: Herbal, Astronomical, Biological, Cosmological, Pharmaceutical, and recipes.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Gday. Ive read that

Antikythera- Is an ancient navigational device. I read once that they made a replica of it.

Shroud of Turin- its material has been dated to around the time of leonardo da vinci, and it may have been one or if not the first photograph.

Voynich manuscript has also been dated to around the time of Da vinci.( There is a thread onATS about it)

The other 2, i will get back to you on.
edit on 3-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

S&F

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by meathed
reply to post by Itop1

Gday. Ive read that

Antikythera- Is an ancient navigational device. I read once that they made a replica of it.

Shroud of Turin- its material has been dated to around the time of leonardo da vinci, and it may have been one or if not the first photograph.

Voynich manuscript has also been dated to around the time of Da vinci.( There is a thread onATS about it)

The other 2, i will get back to you on.

S&F

Thanks
nice analysis of the thread, It's allways nice to hear of some kind of explination for mysteries

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
this very informative thanks for the post

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

the shroud of turin it was found that the bit that they took of for carbon dating

was actually a later bit that had been weaved in to fix a hole or some thing

so they still dont know the date of the shroud

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
In Kokomo Indiana, a similar hum to the Taos hum, was identiified as an industrial fan at a Chrysler plant.
If you read about these hums you usually find that only certain people can hear them. I, unforetunatly, am one of them. I have two different sized ear canals and I only hear the hum in one ear. I'm certain that it's not in my head because I can clearly hear when the fan turns on and off and have actually learned it's schedule. Also, it is absent during the summer months. So I believe it to be part of a heating system on a nearby building. The problem is the frequency is so low, and with only one ear detecting it, I cannot get any directional information. So I have no idea what direction to head in to search for it.
It drives me nuts in the winter and interferes with my sleep. It is actually one of the main factors in me looking to move to a different area. I cannot imagine how someone who hears this in BOTH ears would be able live a normal life.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1

Originally posted by meathed
reply to post by Itop1

Thanks
nice analysis of the thread, It's allways nice to hear of some kind of explination for mysteries

Your welcome, im interested in all of these ancient finds.
There is still much we still have to learn about our past, and i still dont think humanity actually realises just how cleaver our ancestors were.
After reading your thread, you have made me start reading over all of my data that i have on these and many more of our ancient and out of place relics.
Thanks again, as its threads like this that fuels my fire to learn again.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
i seem to remember reading, possibly on ATS, that the Voynich manuscript is thought to be the work of a young Leonardo Da Vinci. I could be wrong, and could be thinking of something else, but maybe someone can verify.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing. That was a good little bit of reading. S+F for you.

new topics

top topics

join