It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of the many reasons why I am no longer a nice guy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Don't loan money to family or friends and expect to ever get it back.
Look at the deal as a gift to them despite their earnest agreement otherwise.
Rarely will you be pleasently surprised.

Yes indeed Aliensun. This is how I do this also. When family or friends ask for a loan I offer the gift.
When they insist on making it a loan and that they will pay it back I say ok if you want but as far as I am concerned it is a gift.
Should they not manage to repay the gift as they had insisted, and then ask for another loan, then I tell them that what I will give them now is a gift but that they still owe me for the money they had previously insisted be a loan. This usually ends their requests, until such time as they can repay their(not my) first loan.
Fortunately my family and friends are people of honor.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hypervalentiodine

Your mom is probably smart. But why don't people be honest and have the balls to ask for money, not a loan?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

It's so true...You never really know who your true friends are until the SHTF. I rented an apartment to my best friend. Huge mistake. He owes me 3K and I haven't seen or heard from him in 2 years. I let him stay for free for the first 4 months.

I feel for you and hope that some of your "friends" open their eyes and see the mistakes they've made.

My best to you.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
edit on 2-4-2011 by Whirpool because: Not useful

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I'm with you man. I've been a nice guy for a long time and I'm getting sick of it. I have been screwed over by close friends and family so much, I feel i'm just going to snap one day.

I got rid of my snake collection a few years back so I give a buddy a good deal on one of my cages. It was a $250 enclosure and I said he could have it for $50. He agrees, so I stuff it in my car, deliver it to his house, help him set it up. He informs me that he doesn't have any cash, so I say "NP" you can pay me some other time. I call him up a few months later trying to get the payment and he gives me the ol' "I thought I paid you already". He then told me he'll get back to me and I never heard from him again. We were quite good friends too.

I'm tired of being the only one to be called in to work early or my day off because i'm the only one nice enough to help. When I worked with my brother, he asked me to come in 6 hours early one day because there was lots of prep to do. I get there, start working, and he takes a 3 hour nap in the office while I'm doing his job.

I let my aunt borrow my car, and when she gets back with it, half of my interior door panel is ripped off. She didn't even bother to mention this to me until I asked her about it. Then, I get an obvious lie for an answer.

I offered to help my cousins move a few months ago, and when I did, they basically just sat there and watched like they were crippled. I was told it was just a couple things, but I ended up moving like the WHOLE HOUSE!

I'm tired of people expecting me to always fix their computer for free like I don't have anything else to do.

I could go on and on...

Lately, I feel the only time people want to chat or hang out is if they want something from me. It seems I'm surrounded by selfish douchebags, and they're the ones that always come out on top, not me. So, # being nice. I'm over it.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Whirpool

Does it make you feel better about yourself to laugh at people? I hope your life fulfills your harhar factor.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

What happened? sorry if i offended you in any way.
But if nothing I wrote was useful to you ill just go ahead and try to erase it

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Whirpool

honestly, I don't even remember. I guess it couldn't be that important lol.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by hypervalentiodine

Your mom is probably smart. But why don't people be honest and have the balls to ask for money, not a loan?

She has her moments, albeit few and far between. Perhaps these people really did ask for a loan with the best intentions. Speaking from experience, if you're asking for money from friends or family it's usually a last resort when things are particularly desperate. My luck is normally such that if one thing goes bad, it all goes bad and sometimes I can't pay people back when I said I would. That's not to say that I forget about the debt or won't pay it back in due course, however. Some people are just bad people. They prey on the niceness of others without reciprocation. At least you can be sure that you have done the right thing when the time called for it. The moral high ground is yours for the claiming.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join