Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Got a Phobia? Share it!

page: 5
48
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


I, absolutely, hate the edge.
If I must look over the edge, I belly crawl until I can poke my Line Of Sight for a quick cursory glance, and then I bound back to the center. Or to the next few flights of stairs down.
Thinking about this stuff is making me dizzy, sweaty, and is giving my stomach a slight turn.
I can't handle much more until later.




posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnimusInvictus
reply to post by jude11
 


I, absolutely, hate the edge.
If I must look over the edge, I belly crawl until I can poke my Line Of Sight for a quick cursory glance, and then I bound back to the center. Or to the next few flights of stairs down.
Thinking about this stuff is making me dizzy, sweaty, and is giving my stomach a slight turn.
I can't handle much more until later.


Yup, it's that edge!

Maybe it's a feeling of no control? I feel that if a breeze comes up I might lose my balance and fall. A wire fence that I can look thru makes it easier. Not ok, just easier.



posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
heights , spiders , the open ocean , not really scared of the dark unless i was in a haunted house . I pretty much have the same phobias as everybody else ..



posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
My number one phobia is clausterphobia. I have intense fear of being enclosed in small spaces. For this reason I have requested that when I die I be cremated NOT buried 6 feet under. Shudders.

I also absolutely hate public bathrooms, and I have a phobia of cleaning or using other peoples dishes for fear of their germs.



posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker11
My number one phobia is clausterphobia. I have intense fear of being enclosed in small spaces. For this reason I have requested that when I die I be cremated NOT buried 6 feet under. Shudders.

I also absolutely hate public bathrooms, and I have a phobia of cleaning or using other peoples dishes for fear of their germs.


I've actually heard that a lot of Women have that feeling of public washrooms.

As for the burial thing, look through the thread and you'll see that you're not alone in this one.

There are some very cool, weird, funny and fascinating phobias on this thread.
I am so glad that so many people are sharing these and that the thread hasn't died.



posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
My phobia? Heights.

I don't know how or where I got this phobia, but I get skittish just climbing a ladder to clean my gutters a mere ten feet off the ground.

In the infinite wisdom of my youth, I decided to confront and conquer this fear head-on. When I enlisted in the army, I selected to go Airborne.

Yes, I jumped out of perfectly good airplanes on many occassions. Later in life I even went to the extent of making a bungy jump.

I never really conquered my phobia, but I did discover that the adrenaline rush from facing one's fears head-on can be a all-day rush that no drug, legal or otherwise, could ever duplicate.



posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by billybobh3
My phobia? Heights.

I don't know how or where I got this phobia, but I get skittish just climbing a ladder to clean my gutters a mere ten feet off the ground.

In the infinite wisdom of my youth, I decided to confront and conquer this fear head-on. When I enlisted in the army, I selected to go Airborne.

Yes, I jumped out of perfectly good airplanes on many occassions. Later in life I even went to the extent of making a bungy jump.

I never really conquered my phobia, but I did discover that the adrenaline rush from facing one's fears head-on can be a all-day rush that no drug, legal or otherwise, could ever duplicate.


You're among a lot of people here on the thread that have the fear of heights. Me included but some of us, you included have it a little differently.

If I am on a tall building with no railing, I buckle with absolute fear.

Bungee Jumping, Rappelling no problem as I have done both.

Weird people we are!


Thanx



posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


OMG thousands of little spiders crawling up your little leg
Holy S*it!!!

Yes I am still sort of scared of spiders but have a big one (at least as big as a quarter) living in my garden (survived the winter) and I told he/she to stay over at the far end and he/she has so we're okay. I just avoid that section.

I'm also scared of driving but do because at 16 I was in a bad car accident. My girlfriend that was driving was the responsible one of our group, always very mature. Long story short, the steering column gave out while we were going down a hill and around a curve. If we had not met a car head on we would have gone off the cliff.

I was unconscious and in the hospital for a couple days, concussion, minor head wound (they have to shave a big patch of your hair to stitch it up) and my pelvis bone was cracked and it hurt to walk for two months.

Very painful.

That was over 42 years ago.

Also do not like snakes, bugs or scorpions. Never seen a scorpion but don't want to either.

Would never bungee jump or sky dive that's inviting death...............not afraid of heights if there is a steady rail. if no rail I stand far back. Don't rock climb.

I am also afraid of being near trains on the outside, once inside I'm okay. Took care of a woman that had been in a car hit by a train and she was never the same. Very painful to get hit by a train and survive. When waiting for a train, I stand really far back and before crossing always look both ways and listen for the signals.

When you get older you begin to realize that the grim reaper is edging closer and you don't want to tempt fate.

edit on 15-6-2011 by ofhumandescent because: grammar & added image



posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker11
 


Totally agree, with all the stuff going around now, I feel queezy about public bathrooms.



I'm lucky even at almost 60 I have a good bladder.

My dentist though has a real beautiful, nice clean bathroom - gorgeous so I don't mind using hers.

Also don't like motel rooms, sleeping where other people have slept...........but I can, without it being a phobia, just bring my lysol and scrubbing bubbles (for the shower/tub).

Prefer my own home, my own germs.



posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I just want to pause here and say thanks to all for sharing on this thread. It has been going for awhile now and keeps growing with all of our weird, funny, wonderful and terrifying phobias.

It's been great to see the human side of ourselves.

Thanks for sharing!



posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I have two, I have arachnophobia and I am terrified of snakes. I can't remember what that's called. Something long and I think starts with an "R." And one dealin' with the dark, not a fear of it, just certain situations, and I know the cause of it.



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I love spiders - so many people afraid of spiders!
Spiders are awesome cause they eat all the other bugs


The only thing that scares me is cockroaches. I don't know why.
I've learned all any human needs to know about them, thinking it would help. It did not.

If I see one I run in the opposite direction. Its an auto-flight response I can't control.
Everytime an orkin commercial comes on the TV I put my hand up so I can't see it

I can't look at it - I can't even kill it
I will recruit you (or anyone else who will answer their phone at 3 in the morning) to kill it
I will insist you crush it twice then remove the thing from my house
It has multiple nerve centers! it takes 7 to 10 days to starve to death without a head!!!
DO NOT even think about flushing it or leaving it in my trash can. HELL TO PAY

Any, and every species of cockroach, strikes a level of fear into me that is indescribable.

Someday I'm going to see the Chuck Norris cockroach equivalent and my heart will just stop.
I'm convinced thats how I'm going to die.

Every single encounter I ever had with one is burned into my brain forever.
I could go on for DAYS on the subject.....



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Ya Phobophobia, thats a fear of getting a phobia man that would suck. Im scared of being scared lol



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I'm deathly afraid of sharks. Just seeing a photograph of one will make my heart race. Been that way since the age of five when I was forced to watch Jaws.

For fun:




posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
I'm deathly afraid of sharks. Just seeing a photograph of one will make my heart race. Been that way since the age of five when I was forced to watch Jaws.

For fun:



I remember that skit! lol

Fits perfectly in this thread. Thank you.

Phobias make us truly human and hilarious to boot!



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I am terrified of long bridges. I never realized it until I went on vacation to Destin Florida and drove across a long bridge and hyperventilated and almost passed out. Then I moved to Tacoma Washington and had to cross the Tacoma narrows everyday. I would literally have to psych myself into stepping on the gas pedal. To this day I cannot tolerate bridges, especially long ones over extensive spans of water.



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968
 


I'm right with you there. TERRIFIED of high, long bridges especially over water.

I went on vacation earlier this month. Had to take an arched bridge over the water to get to the island. Had to keep my eyes locked on the bumper on the car in front of me to get over it.

I, too, will hyperventilate and get light headed to the point I fear passing out.



posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixneuproele
You wanna see some crazy afflicted dancing? All you have to do is catch me when a bee or wasp is near. I don't care what kind, even the ones that don't sting. I will do the Hustle, Harlem Shake, Two Step, Pop Lock... and Drop, Roger Rabbit, Electric Slide, Pretty Girl Rock, Super Man and any other crazy dance you can think of all.... at one time. I don't understand why I am so afraid of them. But even if I see one that lands on someone else, I freeze up and do whatever I can to not be confronted with it myself. For example, If I see one land on someone while I'm sitting ina car and they are outside of the car, I will just roll up the window and for some reason I can't warn them because my speech is frozen in terror. If one flies in the car, I would probably jump out while it's still rolling or stop in mid traffic to jump out of the car. I need some serious therapy.
edit on 2-4-2011 by sixneuproele because: (no reason given)
edit on 2-4-2011 by sixneuproele because: (no reason given)

This is exactly what im dealing with. I have my whole life. For no reason, at least I cant think of any. Ive never been stung, because i dont stick around lol. I dont care where i am or who im with, I will run from the smallest bee or wasp. Wether they sting or dont sting they terrify me.



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Being alone in the dark.
I haven't put myself in complete darkness or near-darkness in many years. If so, it's for a few seconds only. I just can't tolerate any more than that or my imagination will run wild and try to create an image of something that isn't there. The last 2 times in which I fell asleep in complete darkness (not purposely, but while the sun was out, and it had gone down during my sleep) I had nightmares and woke up with sleep paralysis - one of these times I was not alone, so that event was far more frightening.

Large bodies of water.
When I was younger I used to love the water. On any given day, I'd surf or bodyboard for during any free-time I had. Often times, I'd even night-surf until close to midnight, all by myself. On one of those evenings, I had a close encounter with a shark - off-shore, nobody knew where I was - and since, a fear of both being far out in the water, as well as darkness, grew more and more each day until I couldn't tolerate either.

Flying insects.
If I identify one that it isn't a 'stinging' type it won't bother me much, but if unidentified (I call these UFI's or 'Unidentified Flying Insects') or a stinging type, I find my way out of the area or into an enclosure of some sort. Should it get stuck inside the house, I'll usually find some way to exterminate it, or let it out, whichever is easier. This rule applies to non-flying insects as well.

Mirrors (in my bedroom)
I can't stand mirrors, especially when I have to sleep next to one of them whereas I can see my reflection directly or in my peripheral vision. Similar to my fear of darkness, my mind often creates images or shapes which do not exist, usually when I least expect it.

On top of this, I have panic-disorder, complex PTSD, S1 Hypertension, and insomnia. I take meds, but they only do so much to help. Why I continue to live on with this crap, I don't know, but the clock keeps ticking.



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeyondPerception
Being alone in the dark.
I haven't put myself in complete darkness or near-darkness in many years. If so, it's for a few seconds only. I just can't tolerate any more than that or my imagination will run wild and try to create an image of something that isn't there. The last 2 times in which I fell asleep in complete darkness (not purposely, but while the sun was out, and it had gone down during my sleep) I had nightmares and woke up with sleep paralysis - one of these times I was not alone, so that event was far more frightening.

Large bodies of water.
When I was younger I used to love the water. On any given day, I'd surf or bodyboard for during any free-time I had. Often times, I'd even night-surf until close to midnight, all by myself. On one of those evenings, I had a close encounter with a shark - off-shore, nobody knew where I was - and since, a fear of both being far out in the water, as well as darkness, grew more and more each day until I couldn't tolerate either.

Flying insects.
If I identify one that it isn't a 'stinging' type it won't bother me much, but if unidentified (I call these UFI's or 'Unidentified Flying Insects') or a stinging type, I find my way out of the area or into an enclosure of some sort. Should it get stuck inside the house, I'll usually find some way to exterminate it, or let it out, whichever is easier. This rule applies to non-flying insects as well.

Mirrors (in my bedroom)
I can't stand mirrors, especially when I have to sleep next to one of them whereas I can see my reflection directly or in my peripheral vision. Similar to my fear of darkness, my mind often creates images or shapes which do not exist, usually when I least expect it.

On top of this, I have panic-disorder, complex PTSD, S1 Hypertension, and insomnia. I take meds, but they only do so much to help. Why I continue to live on with this crap, I don't know, but the clock keeps ticking.


UFI`s thats great. Imk going to use that from now on. Do you have any idea of why you might fear insects?





new topics

top topics



 
48
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join