It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got a Phobia? Share it!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

With insects, I would guess that the more I became aware of their presence and habitats (nearly everywhere outdoors) the more I became paranoid and experienced gradual increases in sense alertness. Similar to my fear of the ocean, I suppose you can say that the knowledge I've gained has begun to work against me. Now it's just an everyday battle of finding that "sweet spot" once again which allowed me to tolerate these things.

Oddly enough, some benefits to this, I find, is that my senses and reflexes have been improved immensely. I often find myself thinking "How the hell did I just do that?".

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45This is exactly what im dealing with. I have my whole life. For no reason, at least I cant think of any. Ive never been stung, because i dont stick around lol. I dont care where i am or who im with, I will run from the smallest bee or wasp. Wether they sting or dont sting they terrify me.

This was my line of thinking until the day I was stung in the back of the neck by a wasp in a situation that caught me completely off-guard. If you think you're terrified now, just be prepared for a good ole 'mindf_ck' the day you get stung with your guard down, should it ever happen. I would use this time now to prepare for that event, or it'll just make things worse the day it happens, whereas you may end up with a case similar to mine previously, having agoraphobia, and hardly enough guts to go out and check the mailbox.

I've gotten hit once by a wasp, and a few times by honey bees, and honestly, the stings don't even hurt. Their bark is far less than their bite, so to speak, unless you have an allergy. Honestly, it perplexes me why my mind succumbs to these fears knowing full well the worst case scenario will be no more painful than a little pin-prick. Maybe once I can identify what really scares me, I'll get over this. Until then: battle on.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by BeyondPerception

I dont know why but it seems like whenever im outside at least one flying insect flies into me or by my ear, and that buzzing sound or the flapping of wings drives me insane. Like for example, yesterday i went out on my porch and something flew almost right into my ear and i automatically punched myelf in the ear before i even knew what happened. it still hurts lol. The reflexes are ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Also it always feels like something is crawling all over me everwhere, usually when im sitting still, I can feel it now on my back AHHH lol.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45
reply to post by BeyondPerception

I dont know why but it seems like whenever im outside at least one flying insect flies into me or by my ear, and that buzzing sound or the flapping of wings drives me insane.

Yes. Same for me. I am always on edge outside just knowing at some point I'm going to get some taste of either the buzz or the fly-by. I feel like my fear of insects has made be out to be some kind of insect magnet.

The "flapping wings" is what has stuck with me a while since that wasp sting. When it stung me, I felt the wings flapping on the back of my neck for about 2 seconds. Makes me cringe every time I think about it. The sound of buzzing is no more tolerable. I'll even cringe inside the house if something sounds even remotely like buzzing.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
This is really an interesting thread.

I have 2 phobias that stand out from the rest.

First is heights. I have no clue where this came from, i have no problems flying or going into high buildings and whatnot, the problem comes when im standing on high places, like un-railed building roofs, and anything higher than 6ft generally.

Secondly is arachnophobia, and most creepy crawlies in general. I like many in this thread have had a bad experience with spiders when i was little, basically i was playing outside when i encountered a particularly large spider that decided to chase me, ever since then ive stayed away from them. As for other creepy crawlies im not sure where the fear came from, but i get real uneasy around them.

I also have not so acute claustrophobia. I can do houses and stuff, places of all sizes. My phobia sets in when im in extremely tight spaces, im talking like coffin-like places, and to a lesser extent covering my head with like a blanket and whatnot. I can keep my composure for a bit after that, i start to get panic attacks and start to freak out generally.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Well.........Ok, I'll be honest.
And: Dying young without being able to do half the things you wanted to do. Not to sound like a braggart, but I have so much potential yet so far I haven't been able to utilize even 10% of it.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AverageJoe1

You're a valuable asset to humanity, and it's likely that only you know this. I'm right here with you.

Keep positive.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeyondPerception
reply to post by AverageJoe1

You're a valuable asset to humanity, and it's likely that only you know this. I'm right here with you.

Keep positive.

Thanks for the encouragement.

edit on 27-6-2011 by AverageJoe1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
i have a fear of honey, or basically anything sticky (oils, maple syrup, sauce of any kind, etc.), touching my back. its actually really bad, i feel like crying or being sick even at the thought of it, because of this i am also scared of getting my back massaged. i would really love to know if anyone else has this fear???
another fairly normal one is i am scared of needles, but to more of an extreme extent, even just seeing one i start to shake and want to cry, ive only ever had 3 needles, all bloodtests, ive never had one of the ones where they actually put something in you (Imunisations) wich are the ones i an more scared of. its so bad that if i was about to die if i didnt have a needle i would actually have to think about wether to take the needle or not!
some others are- ghosts, things (mostly animals) coming out of the toilet, something being under my bed, the dark, moths and more.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarah17
i have a fear of honey, or basically anything sticky (oils, maple syrup, sauce of any kind, etc.), touching my back. its actually really bad, i feel like crying or being sick even at the thought of it, because of this i am also scared of getting my back massaged. i would really love to know if anyone else has this fear???
another fairly normal one is i am scared of needles, but to more of an extreme extent, even just seeing one i start to shake and want to cry, ive only ever had 3 needles, all bloodtests, ive never had one of the ones where they actually put something in you (Imunisations) wich are the ones i an more scared of. its so bad that if i was about to die if i didnt have a needle i would actually have to think about wether to take the needle or not!
some others are- ghosts, things (mostly animals) coming out of the toilet, something being under my bed, the dark, moths and more.

Most of those are common but...Honey? There's a new one! Humans have become so much more interesting through this thread.

Gotta star for that.

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Rusty metal.
Not exactly a phobia, more of a fear.
I'm just very uncomfortable when i'm around it... Strange i know but i guess it makes me think of ruined abandoned places (which are creepy as hell)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewRose
reply to post by jude11

Rusty metal.
Not exactly a phobia, more of a fear.
I'm just very uncomfortable when i'm around it... Strange i know but i guess it makes me think of ruined abandoned places (which are creepy as hell)

Yup, strange!

Seeing it or feeling it? Both?

Thanks! (one more post for you)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Seeing it, feeling it and that crackly noise that it makes when you touch it, and thinking about it i know why it scares me.
After a nuclear holocaust everything would be badly maintained and go rusty.
Loneliness is another fear i have and the thought of being the last human alive terrifies me... And rusty metal makes me think about that...

Yeah... Even when i explain it it's still weird

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
The only real Phobia I have is of wasps... I have been stung like 10 times and know that the small amount of pain does not justify the amount I # myself whenever I see/hear one. I run. Fast.

I am also somewhat afraid of growing old alone, but not scared of dying.

I guess these are relatively normal *shrug*

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixneuproele
You wanna see some crazy afflicted dancing? All you have to do is catch me when a bee or wasp is near. I don't care what kind, even the ones that don't sting. I will do the Hustle, Harlem Shake, Two Step, Pop Lock... and Drop, Roger Rabbit, Electric Slide, Pretty Girl Rock, Super Man and any other crazy dance you can think of all.... at one time. I don't understand why I am so afraid of them. But even if I see one that lands on someone else, I freeze up and do whatever I can to not be confronted with it myself. For example, If I see one land on someone while I'm sitting ina car and they are outside of the car, I will just roll up the window and for some reason I can't warn them because my speech is frozen in terror. If one flies in the car, I would probably jump out while it's still rolling or stop in mid traffic to jump out of the car. I need some serious therapy.

edit on 2-4-2011 by sixneuproele because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2011 by sixneuproele because: (no reason given)

This is me to a T! I freak out if even hear a buzz or see something flying out the corner of my eye. I'm gone! Until they are atleast identified as somethiong other than a Bee or a Wasp. I've been stung several times when I was younger. None now that I'm older but that's because I'll run away or do everything I can to kill them. My house is always stocked with several cans of Wasp spray, Lol. It makes it terrible trying to mow around the house during the summer, especially with the privacy fence or around sheds and such. Ugh, I'm always on guard. I've had them fly into my car when I was driving down the high with the windows down. I hardly had the strength to pull over but I manage to hit the shoulder and stop quick enough and then dive out of the passenger door. Haha, it's pretty ridiculous and I get made fun of for it alot. Especially since I know they don't hurt too badly. I have a lot of tattoos and 7 piercings in my face and have even done a suspension, so it seems really silly to me to run from them when I know they don't hurt to bad. I just can't help it, they scare the hell out of me.

The only other thing that I really have a phobia of are airplanes. I've never been in one but the thought of it scares the crap out of me. It sucks considering the fact that I love to travel and want to see the world. Hopefully one day I can get over that fear. I imagine what bothers me most is the feeling of not having control in that situation, and if something happens on the plane where it is going to crash you just have to sit and wait to die.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Felyn

I don't know if you believe in this stuff, but perhaps your fear of the pipe organs has something to do with a traumatic experience from another life. Why would the size of it matter? Is it the sound or the appearance, or both? Since you said the same sort of feeling comes from the LHC, maybe my theory means nothing. I just had the thought and figured I'd share.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I accidentally posted my reply to another thread related to phobias, but I wanted it here, so I'll repost it.

Okay, my bizarre phobia is of stickers and tape. Not clean, new tape that I need to use, like to wrap gifts or hang something up, but old tape. I can't touch it. If I do, I feel like I can't get it off me, like I'm contaminated or something. People think it's funny, but it freaks me out. You know how some people can stick stickers on themselves or put them on other people and it's a funny thing to them? Well when they try to do it to me, they are so shocked and amused when I recoil in disgust and horror. I really don't know why I have the fear. Oh and about using new tape, I freak out if it gets stuck on me and I can't get it off in a hurry. I must use it carefully so I don't have an issue.

Just wanted to add, my brother has tortured me with my fear by sticking stuff on me or taunting me with the threat of it. Sometimes I wonder if he made me fear it and I don't remember it (maybe blocked memory or just too young to remember), or if he just used an existing fear to his advantage.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ellie Sagan
I accidentally posted my reply to another thread related to phobias, but I wanted it here, so I'll repost it.

Okay, my bizarre phobia is of stickers and tape. Not clean, new tape that I need to use, like to wrap gifts or hang something up, but old tape. I can't touch it. If I do, I feel like I can't get it off me, like I'm contaminated or something. People think it's funny, but it freaks me out. You know how some people can stick stickers on themselves or put them on other people and it's a funny thing to them? Well when they try to do it to me, they are so shocked and amused when I recoil in disgust and horror. I really don't know why I have the fear. Oh and about using new tape, I freak out if it gets stuck on me and I can't get it off in a hurry. I must use it carefully so I don't have an issue.

Just wanted to add, my brother has tortured me with my fear by sticking stuff on me or taunting me with the threat of it. Sometimes I wonder if he made me fear it and I don't remember it (maybe blocked memory or just too young to remember), or if he just used an existing fear to his advantage.

This list is getting stranger by the day!

Thank you for sharing. I find the phobias on these pages to be a real window into ourselves as a fascinating species. I sometimes wonder if animals have phobias as well. It seems that phobias can be a learned or inherited trait so I don't see why they couldn't.

I've seen dogs or cats acting strangely over a doll for example. Or while one might run towards a bag being crumpled in anticipation of a snack, some run from the sound. One might play with a mouse or run away from it.

Just things I wonder about.

Thanks again for the tape phobia.

Jude11

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

You know, that is an interesting idea you had about animals. It is true how some love something and another one will freak out in fear. I'm sure a lot of people might say animals wouldn't have the mental complexity to have phobias but I do wonder also.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join