It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Facts You (Probably) Never Knew About the Moon

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

The Japanese equipped a craft with High Definition video cameras and flew it low and slow over the moon about 2 years ago. ATS was all abuzz over this, but after the craft arrived, none of the vids or photos were ever made public. Is my memory about this correct?

You can access all the Kayuga data here:
JAXA

They even have their own YouTube channel, so you know it must be true.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by csgt428

Let's discuss this a million years from now.

I was speaking hypothetically of course....How many satellites have a perfectly spherical mass distribution? Probably none to very few....The distance from the more massive body and mass distribution of an orbiting satellite determine the time befor tidal locking occurs.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Well this should put to rest two of the complaints by the moon landing hoaxers. First the Japanese terrain mapping is gathering data at just 100 km above the moon surface, but only has a resolution of 10 m per pixel, so you wont make out the Apollo hardware eft at that resolution, JUST 100 km away! What this allows is much like Google Earth, lets you see a simulation at surface level, and it matches exactly from Apollo 15 surface photos.

Good find sir!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DontProbeMeBro

if you believe in the tiamat theory then what you've said would make sense

The roles of, and references to TIAMAT and Earth... appear to be
interchangeable. Earth is TIAMAT….. reincarnated…. The Moon is
called Earth’s protector, (that is exactly what TIAMAT called KINGU…..
her chief satellite….

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
very very interesting thread here. i've been seeing the title for a few days and just now decided to take a look at it. Could the moon ACTUALLY be an extra-terrestrial spacecraft?! very interesting indeed.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kaiode1

Do you realize how big the moon is? If you decided to walk around the moon to get to where you started from, it would take you nearly 218,000 minutes, which would be about 10 years to finish non-stop. (rough calculation). That's a big ship, and that's just one line around, spherically multiply that by...nevermind.

OH, I walk fast, 3 mph on average, faster going to work.
edit on 6-4-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Well no crap, i know how big the moon is. That's what makes all the facts posted in this thread interesting. "How in the hell could it be possible?" i don't know, but I'm definately not going to close my mind to the possibility.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by kaiode1

OK fair enough, but realize that closing a mind to proven science, that runs your toaster, car, and microwave, is more proven than gigantic starships larger than the BORG, that only runs your imagination. (and that's not real)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

i based my opinion on the matter from the "sciences" in the OP. and the "sciences" expressed in Christopher Knights book on the subject. Any opinion formed from those is just as valid as any opinion you have. unless you're an astronomer/historian of some kind with the proper degrees from an accredited university. then i concede that your opinion has a little more clout than mine. otherwise anything that my "imagination" can come up with simply comes from the information that i've been given. (which is real)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kaiode1

I've been employed in communications by a company that has NASA contracts since I was hired shortly after the Shuttle Disaster in 1986 because our company started a program for NASA at that time. It doesn't mean I know more than you but there are thousands of contractors for NASA that could blow the whistle on what we do if found frivolous or faulty, or disingenuous. So I do have to communicate facts, and that is all I am interested in, proven repeatable field experimentationally demonstrated facts.

(I reserve the liberty of making up words my editors would rewrite, but I think compound words are more efficient, like German, so to speak) I'm not a writer so I don't care. Where I went to school, our Dean made up words and he was Italian, and an extraordinary teacher whose 'compound' words were clearly understood. I was fortunate enough to have been seated in his last year of actual class instruction. He employed his 'board'; selected assignments turned in he put up for class discussion, I made his board more than once.

So I got that at least.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Hey thanks cool stuff

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
edit on Sat Apr 9 2011 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

well then this is a pointless subject for us to be discussing then, isn't it? We have both used the information that we've been given in order to come up with answers that are conceivable in our minds. hell, maybe if i was in your shoes i would come to the same conclusions, but im not so all i have is the information i'm given and logic to come up with possibilties. So don't just dismiss the answers that i can concieve as nonsensical, just because you've come to different conclusions on the matter. let's just agree to disagree.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
reply to post by kaiode1

OK fair enough, but realize that closing a mind to proven science, that runs your toaster, car, and microwave, is more proven than gigantic starships larger than the BORG, that only runs your imagination. (and that's not real)

Isn't it also true that the more we know, the more we realize we don't know ??
Science knows precious little facts about our universe and most of those are more theory than fact..

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
i think the moon is getting farther away not closer. it has to do with the earths rotation vs the moons orbit direction when these things contra each other they orbiting body will get farther away we see this with mars and its two moons phebos is orbiting with mars and getting closer to it whal demonos is orbiting agenst mars and getting farther away this whole idea makes that entire list suspect i doubt most of those are facts at all

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DontProbeMeBro

The Moon being older than the Earth is very interesting because the current scientific belief states that the moon was formed, when a massive asteroid the size of Mars smashed Earth, and split a massive chunk which became the moon.

The current belief doesn't explain how and why is the moon older than the Earth.

I read a book about this, all those who are interested: "alien agenda".

Reading never hurts, whether it is mainstream books, or "outside the box" books.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Fact : The Russians have successfully placed laser reflectors on the surface of the moon, yet they have never claimed to have put a man on the moon. The reflectors were dropped there by unmanned probes. It should also be noted that the moon's surface will naturally reflect signals; communications were carried out as early as the 1950s by bouncing signals off of the moon.
edit on 7-4-2011 by Anunakki because:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by cavemanthinking

yup i simple gps system would tell you that the moon is moving away from us rather than getting closer

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by P3ACE0WAR
The Moon being older than the Earth is very interesting because the current scientific belief states that the moon was formed, when a massive asteroid the size of Mars smashed Earth, and split a massive chunk which became the moon.

The current belief doesn't explain how and why is the moon older than the Earth.
Whoa almost none of what's in the OP is factual, and you assumed it is?

Age of the Moon

How old is the Moon? Almost the entire Solar System formed 4.6 billion years ago, when the solar nebula collapsed. But astronomers think that the Moon formed later than that, when a Mars-sized protoplanet smashed into the Earth. The debris from the collision splashed into orbit around the Earth and then reformed into the Moon, which still orbits us today.

So when did this happen?

Astronomers think this collision happened about 4.53 billion years ago, about 30-50 million years after the rest of the Solar System formed. This was relatively soon after the formation of the Solar System, and well before the time when life formed on Earth. Our planet was probably still mostly a molten ball of rock, and the impact of the Moon did little to change that. This is the dominant theory of how the Moon formed...

Evidence for this collision was found by the astronauts of the Apollo Moon landing missions. They turned up lunar rocks that have oxygen isotope compositions which are nearly the same as the Earth. This means that portions of the Moon were once part of the Earth.
The Earth is constantly churning rocks in tectonic activities so it's harder to find the older rocks on Earth compared to the moon, but that's more a consequence of tectonic activity on Earth, than age. The moon is cold, that's why it doesn't have tectonic activity.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Thanks for the post, I found it very interesting =]

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

edit on Sat Apr 9 2011 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavemanthinking
i think the moon is getting farther away not closer. it has to do with the earths rotation vs the moons orbit direction when these things contra each other they orbiting body will get farther away we see this with mars and its two moons phebos is orbiting with mars and getting closer to it whal demonos is orbiting agenst mars and getting farther away this whole idea makes that entire list suspect i doubt most of those are facts at all

Actually the moons orbit is becoming more eccentric. It is coming both closer to and receeding further from the Earth in its orbit. IE the orbit is becoming more elliptical (oval) and less round, but only by something like 3 or 4 millimeters per year if memory serves. I can add the link later if requested.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join