It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Excellent Nova Production Video on Japan Quake-Tsunami

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
So here is a real good Nova production all about this disastrous event, including tsunami mechanisms, footage of the quake, interviews with geologists including one that was there when it happened, and all kinds of intriguing information about the event.

www.pbs.org...

Highly recommended!

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Watching it. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
for some reason it is not available in my area?
i looked for another like with no avail.
can anyone find a link thats available in canada?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
This NOVA thing... better check into their mind washing techniques. This whole video is just the same as a corrupt politician. Telling us things we would like to hear, without giving all the facts!

No offense OP, but the media... yes NOVA included, cannot be trusted to give it to us straight. Good video production though

I'm extremely proud to say, that there are a hand full of us who see past the BS of the MSM.... this includes the what the doc shows, as we see presented here.

It's fear mongering on a whole different scale. I for one, live out of Seattle.... 60ft above sea level but inland about 25 miles. The river here could absorb the flush, raising it up as we saw in the video and there fore I would be best getting to higher ground. Since I'm in the foothills of the cascades I already know my way up when something retarded hits. I have a bug-out pack... and Im ready to teach my kids how to really survive when the rest of the common folk scramble too ;-)

Let's keep in mind that Seattle is not on the Pacific. It is on the Puget Sound which is an inlet guarded by the Olympic range.

Basically.... I'm not too worried about the outcome here, except for the flooding of our rivers inland. In which case, we have a clear out.

edit on 4/2/2011 by forall2see because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by forall2see
This NOVA thing... better check into their mind washing techniques. This whole video is just the same as a corrupt politician. Telling us things we would like to hear, without giving all the facts!

No offense OP, but the media... yes NOVA included, cannot be trusted to give it to us straight. Good video production though

I'm extremely proud to say, that there are a hand full of us who see past the BS of the MSM.... this includes the what the doc shows, as we see presented here.

care to tell me what in the video is a lie? I watched the whole thing, there's no sugar coating. they made it clear that it's pretty damn bad.
edit on 2-4-2011 by PoorFool because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool

care to tell me what in the video is a lie? I watched the whole thing, there's no sugar coating. they made it clear that it's pretty damn bad.

Yes it's bad. The Pacific plate thing is what did it for me. I know that once pressure is relieve from any area, it is relieved throughout the whole of the mass.

Here we sit on the other side of the plate.... Japan having gave way means that their side of the plate has relieved the pressure from ours. I may be speculative here and wrong...,. just thoery from my gut ;-) Also, read my edit to my post above and you may understand why. If not, I'd be happy to discuss.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool

Point is.... they did in fact show the magnitude of what actually happened in JAPAN quite well.... sort of leaving out the nuclear fall out part but whatev. In the final two minutes it seemed they just J
HAD to bring up the DEMISE a quake of this magnitude could have on the American west coast....no detail.... just a seed to plant in our precious heads in order to generate fear.

No bueno I say! Why not show factual proof, just as we here at ATS ask our OP's to show when they present a topic???

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Yes it's bad. The Pacific plate thing is what did it for me. I know that once pressure is relieve from any area, it is relieved throughout the whole of the mass.

If you would have watched the whole video, that exact issue is addressed in it. When a fault line goes, it relieves built up stresses at the hypocenter, but it LOADS other parts of the fault with MORE stress. That's a known fact, and has been a known fact for a very long time.

In general, I don't understand all your criticisms. There are many, many other documentaries that have been done covering the risk the US west coast faces at the Cascadia subduction zone. Heck, there are several threads here about it. When it happens, the US will get what it deserves. The video makes the point that Japan is arguably the best prepared in the world for large quakes, and the US is nowhere even close. A mag 9 on the west coast would be disastrous. They've been saying it over and over, and yet we spend how many trillions on illegal wars? :shk:

Imo, we need another 10 million videos like this, and maybe then they will actually do more to be prepared. It IS coming. No one knows when, and the video again makes the point that all we can do is prepare for it. And that's just it. Very little preparation has been done, and certainly nowhere near to the degree Japan has. That is a critical point. Do you not see it? Or would you rather just write this off as a fearmongering attempt?

BS. This is a very good production which makes some very intriguing points.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I have always liked NATGEO and NOVA documentaries. It certainly would be interesting to see exactly when the next big one will strike the West Coast.

I do believe NOVA and their comments as they are not iterating anything new but something that other documentaries have done it before in their past analysis. I have seen tonnes of documentaries.

Lets hope West Coast is prepared for it.

new topics

top topics

join