It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami Debris

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
My apologies if this has already been discussed, but I have not seen this posted on here yet.

Another aspect to this whole fiasco in Japan is the debris from the Tsumani. Apparently it could take 1-3 years before the bulk of it washes up on the shores of the Pacific.

Aside from the garbage itself and the problem that is going to have on the beaches of the Pacific, it is unclear whether any of the materials have been exposed and are carrying radioactive materials. Most like some of it has. (That will be just great when some family is walking down the beach in 3 years time and some kid unwittingly picks up a piece of something 'cool'.)

As to whether any of the debris might be radioactive from the devastation at Japanese nuclear power plants, James Hevezi, chair of the American College of Radiology Commission on Medical Physics, said there could be.

Source
edit on 1-4-2011 by CCKP72 because: Correction

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by CCKP72

From looking at the photos, even without being radioactive, the problem of this waste is hugh. Inlets on the coast is a heck of a place to buy or hide trash.

Maybe the people of Japan will figure out how to raise the coast. They are skilled and living at ocean level is not an option if you are rebuilding.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by zipcode80013

That's just it. The burden of collecting this stuff and disposing of it will be up to each nation where it arrives to, and it is going to be one heck of a job. A perfect excuse for another tax increase, but I digress.

I am not suggesting that blame be put on Japan for this nor would I propose they be accountable for it. This was an act of nature and the whole world is affected by it. The actual, geographic location of the disaster does not absolve anyone.

What is most frightful is the fact that this stuff is potentially radioactive. I guess by the time it reaches our shores, that could be the least of our problems if the nuclear situation worsens, which I believe it will.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CCKP72

I would think that radioactive particles will reach us via the wind way before the items that were swept into the sea by ocean water becomes contaminated.

But just trash is a hell of a thing. Ever been in a flood. The best you can do is bury it.

Most of this stuff is not radioactive, but the water flowing out of the reactors right now are like super, dupper, way to hot to even think about.

I think I will give up fish.

new topics

top topics

join