It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army switching to new standard for headgear...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
www.army.mil...

Personally, I think it's pretty stylish, though I'm not sure why they'd change it....

edit on 1-4-2011 by Gazrok because: April Fools!!!

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
That's some F'n BS!

Ok, this is coming off my chest, because I am a 19Delta, Cavalry Scout. the only MOS in the Army that is Cavalry.
We wear those unofficially, and have always gotten a loadof# for it, but now they are giving them to everyone?!

So lets take the tradition of the Cavalry and apply it to every one in the Army?

Hell may as well give the combat spur to everyone too, like a combat patch they designated the combat veterans. But obviously tradition and real Army core values are meaningless in this new army of can't hack it jack offs.

Some POG officer needed to look like a combat soldier soo bad and changed the regs, now we have posers in the Army, great another snafu day in the service...

For todays sake (being april 1st), I really hope this article is a april fools joke, but if it isnt then the above stands.
edit on 1-4-2011 by ADVISOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Its just like when they issued berets to all the army. I'm sorry, I know its not the beret that makes a man, but I worked damn hard to earn the right to wear mine. This is total BS...................

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I was thinking that it was an April fools thing when I read it this morning. If not, I think I will favor your POG Officer theory.
edit on 1-4-2011 by Tnewguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

April Fool. Those tassle end things on the hat band look a bit overly done at about half a pound each. And should they hang over the edge that way?

My only question is are these two mods part of the fun or were they sucked in...?

(If they were sucked in, fire 'em, pronto!)

Anyway, these would not be real Stetsons, regardless, cowboy hats would look a hell of a lot better than those stupid berets Give those back to the French cabaret dancers.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
TODAY IS APRIL 1ST RIGHT????

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

The acorns, are not allowed to completely hang over the edge no, and the color of the cord is an identifier for the branches. So if they do adopt the Stetson, I am guessing Branch colors will be the main identifier, and they should have to salute yellow regardless of rank, in my opinion. At least they could pay homage to the real deal, where first wore them.
edit on 1-4-2011 by ADVISOR because: it needed an edit

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Yeah, its all about the custume and not about the traditions and history of the services.
They figure theyll get a big increase in enlistments if they hand out cow hats to the boys?
This is headgear from a bygone era which is not really all that practical.
There are reasons for the gear our soldiers wear.They have been evolved over a century or two by now.
I think theyll be scrapping these anitquated relics before long.
I cant imagine how the damn things will stay put during close order or rifle drills without a chin strap.
They are making the army look like state troopers possibly?
In prep for the coming Martial law scenario????
We will spend how much money on a million cow hats for the boys??
Id bet that the stetson company is in texas and they got the pick because of the threat of succession?
Sorry, i just cant think of a good reason for this stupid costume assessory.
The mony would be better spend in putting improved IED protection in their vehicles, or arming them with some better grade weapon system.
IMHO this will be an epic fail, as well as causing a lot of resentment.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Yeah, its all about the custume and not about the traditions and history of the services.
They figure theyll get a big increase in enlistments if they hand out cow hats to the boys?
This is headgear from a bygone era which is not really all that practical.
There are reasons for the gear our soldiers wear.They have been evolved over a century or two by now.
I think theyll be scrapping these anitquated relics before long.
I cant imagine how the damn things will stay put during close order or rifle drills without a chin strap.
They are making the army look like state troopers possibly?
In prep for the coming Martial law scenario????
We will spend how much money on a million cow hats for the boys??
Id bet that the stetson company is in texas and they got the pick because of the threat of succession?
Sorry, i just cant think of a good reason for this stupid costume assessory.
The mony would be better spend in putting improved IED protection in their vehicles, or arming them with some better grade weapon system.
IMHO this will be an epic fail, as well as causing a lot of resentment.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Your clearly not familiar with the head gear of topic.

It does have a strap of leather, and the Army wont be giving them out. They cost on average $100, and they would come out of the soldiers clothing allowance.
edit on 1-4-2011 by ADVISOR because: it needed an edit

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Always pays to read the fine print...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
It's a joke guys. Read the last line of the link. And remember, "If you ain't Cav, You ain't #"!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
A similar hat looked good on Col. Kilgore (Robert Duvall) in Vietnam, so why not?
:

edit on 4/4/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

join