It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona enacts ban on abortions based on gender, race

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
So,
Now it's ok to murder babies....as long as it's not a hate crime?
Sick twisted world.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I've posted on ATS before on my stance with regards to abortion. IMO, the woman does have a choice, she chooses to have sex. One possible consequence of that action is pregnancy (among other things) & no protection/birth control is 100%. I do however agree that in cases of rape or incest, abortion should be an option because the woman did not consent. So I guess that means I am one who feels people should be responsible for their own actions. I also think it should be an option when a woman's life is danger because she has the right to decide if she wants to risk her own life for the baby.

With all that said, yes, a woman can have a child that is a different race. It could be that the father is of a different race or they themselves have a different race within their own heritage.

As for woman actually aborting based solely on race or gender, I'm sure is a rarity, but with the vanity that exists in many people, I'm betting it does happen.

Do I agree with this law? Yes and No. I agree that the number of abortions performed should be much lower than the 1 mil plus that are performed each year. I don't however think this law will have much of an affect on the number & it is more about AZ stating they are "not an abortion friendly state."

Once again, just my opinion & I'm sure others will disagree with me, but I'm entitled to it just as others are entitled to their own.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Now tell me this............

As you said earlier, if the mother planned to have the baby, and had made an emotional attachment, picked out a name, etc., and then the baby was killed accidentally by a drunk driver, it should be called murder.

I didn't say it should be called murder.
I explained the disparity in the law. And in fact, I stated that just because the law says something doesn't make it right. I disagree with that law for the very reasons you stated. If a pregnant woman is killed, there should be one charge of murder, IMO.

Thank you so much for the great discussion today. I really enjoyed it!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

This is no easy subject.

I personally bristle at the thought of abortion. My distaste converts to outright disgust when it appears to be a form of birth control in the place of more responsible behavior. But as many have already mentioned, the devil is always in the details.

If we are talking about abortions made in the first trimester, I think this is the zone of time where a women should be entitled to nearly unfettered choice on the matter. In that regard, I would disagree with this law's approach. But when we start moving later into the pregnancy, I think that choice appropriately requires more sober consideration and even potential restrictions based upon certain circumstances-- particularly when a fetus approaches a reasonable chance of survivability outside of the womb.

I believe these things not because I think government should have the right to govern the bodies of women, but rather because government has a responsibility to protect PEOPLE from the burdens imposed unjustly by others-- and I would suggest, losing one's life is a pretty substantial burden.

But please understand my position is not based upon a religious point of view (that's not my gig), but rather a secular one.

A fetus that can reasonably be expected to have a chance to survive outside of the womb is my view deserving of the full protections of person-hood. No mother should be entitled to unfettered power to terminate the life of her child at that stage.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join