It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tax the Super Rich now or face a revolution

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthChrisious
Not every wealthy individual in America is corrupt. There are good ones who work hard, and honestly, for what they have. Fighting an injustice with more injustice is hardly justice.

We need to go after those who are corrupt, regardless of their wealth.

Don't preach that around here. You're surrounded by wannabe revolutionaries that salivate at the idea of destroying the country and killing rich people for no other reason than to fund a welfare state. Some of these people never learned that two wrongs don't make a right.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Ohh they would love nothing more than if we revolted.
Then they would instantly know who the trouble makers were.
Then you go bye bye.

You would not be a revolutionist
you would be the other "ist"
Do you know which one?

Here's a hint
It starts with a "T"

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Eradicating the wealthy is utter nonsense as there are centuries of accumulated wealth protected by social institutions, nation states, etc. How would there be any wealth to be redistributed? Most real wealth is spread around the globe in large pieces of immovable Earth - natural resources like land, water, minerals (gold/diamonds), OIL (to mention a few) are at the base of wealth production.

ganjoa

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by byteshertz

Well with those kind of stats I would say they are completly Un-American and be kicked out of this country because if any one of us could pay that debt so that America could thrive and live abundantly wouldn't we do so? I know I would.............we all deserve better. They should be charged with HIGH TREASON!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by surrealist

Yes, tax the Super Rich. Tax them now. Before the other 99% rise up, trigger a new American Revolution, a meltdown and the Great Depression 2.

www.marketwatch.com...

I've seen a little speculation I think on Fox about possible violent protests erupting across the United States, though one commentator stated that generally US protesters are not as violent as their counterparts in the UK.

Anyway I think some major protesting in the US is foreseeable. To what extent remains seen. You can't keep on punishing and taxing the life out of the working masses without repercussions on a grand scale sooner or later. I don't buy the idea that Americans will gladly sacrifice their lifestyles for the common good, and this is already evident in some states.

There is a eminate protest in the brewing here in the usa, Im just not sure to what point will we all decide enough is enough and stop the tyrany, the greedy...We are slow to react and for this reason I believe when it does happen it will have been brewing so long enough we may go extreme. Especially thinking we have images of how the other countries react in their protest, it almost brigns a expectation. I hope im wrong and we do the revolt in a peaceful manner. Ghandi`s revolt was long however he won in the end...peace to america and the peoples of all nations

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

Why would anyone pay a debt that the government racked up on it's own independently of what you and I do or ask for?

Just because someone has extra zeros to the right in their income doesn't mean they have some responsibility to pay the nations debt. That's ridiculous. Government doesn't have a right to anyone's money.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

Originally posted by DarthChrisious
Not every wealthy individual in America is corrupt. There are good ones who work hard, and honestly, for what they have. Fighting an injustice with more injustice is hardly justice.

We need to go after those who are corrupt, regardless of their wealth.

Don't preach that around here. You're surrounded by wannabe revolutionaries that salivate at the idea of destroying the country and killing rich people for no other reason than to fund a welfare state. Some of these people never learned that two wrongs don't make a right.

, we take care of ourselvge american are not looking for a free handout, welfare needs adjusting yes, but more americans work our arsses to the bone then dont. We do haev a rising population that is believing our government owes them, but in my opinion they are the younger generations beign programed by the leaders to be lazy and needy...There is a agenda in this lazy generation, it is to rid the middle calss working family into poverty. Yes we will revolt, america is a ticking clock getting ever closer to the final hour we say enough is enough...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
It takes 3% to start a Revolution. At least that is what it took in 1776!

Give me liberty or give me death!

The sooner we the people realize we VASTLY outnumber the crooks in power, the sooner we can get this crap started! REVOLT! It is our Civic duty bestowed upon us by the Constitution!!!

I think the fuel is there.
I think the spark is there.
I think the drive is there.

Then what you may ask is missing? A LEADER.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I respectfully disagree. Our forefathers gave us Rights and said (to paraphrase) STAND UP AGAINST TYRANNY.
They are no longer listening.

Did we talk the British out of our Country?

Did we talk the Germans down?

Japanese?

ETC, etc...
edit on 29-3-2011 by NeverApologize because: spelling (could still be wrong!)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

What makes you assume that it is people looking for welfare that are the revolutionaries? I think it is the working masses who are looking for a fair wage for a fair days work relative to inflation, who are at their limits or beyond in some ways with combination taxes, levies, price hikes on essential commodoties and so on.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

Well, you need to stand someplace else. The majority of "rich" folks for the purposes of US tax policy are small business owners who categorize business income as personal tax. These folks are not rich in terms of lifestyle. They need to take that income that is taxed and invest it in their business to keep it alive. If they are not directly investing it, they need to maintain a reserve in the event that they have an equipment failure or in some cases get sued by a bogus claim.

The vast majority of folks with a couple of million in net worth are hardworking, honest folks who don't game the tax system. High end sales people, if they are good can make 7 figures/year. Successful real estate folks the same, doctors with highly sought after specialities, top lawyers on every side of the law. Tons of folks.

The challenge with this entire chain of logic is that everyone equates the "rich" with Paris Hilton or a Rockefeller. Those folks are a tiny, tiny portion of the folks who are considered rich in this society. It is far more likely to be a gent who has built up a small business over a few decades, working 80 hours a week, living through lean times, taking risks. When you jump on the tax the rich business, you are taking about those folks.

Those folks who are super rich won't pay taxes anyway. They have enough money and either hold the money in trust, like the Kennedys or hold off-shore investments. If you were making $10M/year and they raised the marginal tax rate to 70% would you stay in the country? I would'nt. If you are making that much dough you don't need to work again and you'll simply stop. You can invest in tax free securities, you can live off investments and only pay capital gains, currently at 15%. You can not overly confiscate the wealth of people. Every time the government has attempted to do that the revenue to the government goes down because the wealthy simply sit on the sidelines until you get a politician in office that does not have his head up his kiester and is interested in pragmatic economic policy rather than class warfare.

You're concerned about the level of taxes paid by the rich? Take a look at who actually pays taxes in this country. @50% of the people in this country don't pay income taxes at all. That is a far greater problem than any other with respect to tax policy. Time to lose the income tax all together and move to a flat tax, which is by definition a fair, progressive tax.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Great topic OP. S+F
If they want to keep increasing taxes, laws, ignoring the peaceful protests while stripping everyone of their civil liberties that are meant to protect us from them being power hungry, we the people need to follow the example that our leaders have shown us. A preemptive strike.... Everyone from the police, military stop everything, no work, no school, no nothing until changes are made to correct things. No production means they can't collect as much tax(because no way would everyone be on board), so if they have less money to work with across the board they will not be able to maintain the funding of the government's continuous expansion or the illegal occupations. No money is the only way to stop this mess. Our leaders may have brought us all to war, but if the soldiers will not pull the triggers and follow orders there would be no battle at all. Could you see Obama and Gaddafi on the battle field with there lives on the line? Bush was given a "pass" because of the tragedy of 9/11, who gave Obama a pass to attack Libya? Didn't he say he was going to end both occupations? Im not sure how many people here on ATS have played a war type video game but if you have, when you win/conquer another country do you not usually get some wealth, more land, money, food, etc.? We have been at war for almost 10 years....gas prices,food,insurance has gone up, wheres the reward? Where's does all that money go?
Im 30 years old, has everyone forgot about Vietnam already? Didn't they say it will never happen again?

If the stop of production is not effective enough to get there attention, then as many people that actually care need to go to Washington, and demand changes peacefully and not plan on leaving until they do. The more people that go and refuse to leave the more attention will be brought into the MSM hopefully, and i stress hopefully. If they then decide to try "enforce" there will on the people, or make them disburse then all I can say about that is the founding fathers put the 2nd Amendment into the Constitution for a reason.
I have seen the peaceful protests go on now since 9/11 for a variety of reasons, mostly unknown because of the MSM's jaded coverage when they do happen. In my opinion, the opponent of people has already taken their gloves off, dipped there hands in glass and inflicted some serious damage, when are the people going to send that counter punch?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
With the media as we have it today we can make heroes and villains with ease, if all of our home countries stood together and portrayed these mega rich a$$es that control a great many of our countries as the villains and financial terrorists that they truly are and have been for countless years. We as a world could just seize their assets for a massive number of offenses throughout history as they are gained through criminal means.

But where are the balls ??

It would set us on an entirely new path.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

That's ridiculous. Government doesn't have a right to anyone's money.

Oh yeah? Tell them that! Lets talk about Libya shall we and who's right? NEXT! What do you think this whole country is founded on? Yeah thats right........taking other peoples money including YOURS my tax paying friend!

WAKE UP!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
So.....

What happens after you have taken from the rich? World peace?

Doubtful.

A new class will gain power and become the new rich, and the cycle will start again.

At least be honest and admit that you want the rich to suffer not because it will fix the problem, but because you want what they have.

There will never be an end to the cycle because we are all greeedy.

You buy a new item before your old one wore out? Just to be trendy? You are from the same clothe as that rich guy, maybe not as smart or as lucky, but the same cloth none the less.

It took all of the west, from the richest to the poorest, to create this system...burning the rich won't fix it.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

I really do not understand the mind set of people who want to be like the rich and famous yes id love to drive a ferrari but im not jealous i've met very few rich people who i would spend an hour talking to let alone becoming one of them.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
if you read the link, it's not about money, but about power and control. they may control the system you live in, but they don't control you.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
this is kinda stupid; even if the government received all the tax money in the world and no one complained: the subjects to the government would be in a state of discontent due to the way their government has treated them not because of the governments purse; which is also relative to their perception of self but is not inversely proportionate and not relative to the government being immune to protests due to certain individuals having more or less to tax from.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
What a logical revolution.

Sure, tax the rich. Great job creator that is. Gee....anybody ever bother to check how many people are employed by those very rich people? And how whatever additional taxes they pay comes out of their businesses, not their personal wealth? How many of you work for a company owned by someone that makes less, and has less money, than you??

Sure, tax the rich. Especially since for every additional dollar the US government has ever acquired in taxes they spend, on average, $1.17. So that when the rich get fed-up and move even more of their businesses overseas, and then really get fed-up and move themselves overseas, or at least their money -- then what? You think the rest of us can pick up the tab on that?? On money that the government got from the rich, and have already spent, but now that they're gone and we're left?

The only answer is not allow the government any additional tax revenue from anyone. They will spend more than they get and the only way to curb this ridiculous spending is to take away their limitless credit cards!! aka The American Taxpayer

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join