It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Infections and death caused by medical wipes???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

The federal Food and Drug Administration is asking a Wisconsin firm tied to infections and death blamed on contaminated medical wipes to voluntarily stop making and distributing its drug products, msnbc.com has learned.

The cease-and-desist request follows a series of msnbc.com news reports about inspections at the Triad Group plant and massive recalls of alcohol prep wipes, povidone iodine prep wipes and lubricating jelly all suspected of bacterial contamination.

The alcohol wipes, which were recalled for potential contamination with the bacteria Bacillus cereus, have been blamed for several serious infections and the death of a 2-year-old boy in Houston.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Are you kidding me??? How in the world do medical wipes become tainted with these dangerous bacteria? I see the FDA says it is an issue of sterilization, but how do these bacteria even make it into the plant? I'm not one to believe there is a conspiracy behind everything, but this just seems suspicious to me. I'm glad the FDA is asking them to stop production, but at this point I think it should be mandatory, not voluntary.

I would be livid if my kid was killed by these wipes.

There solution is to have the president of the company step down only to have his brother replace him. What does that solve? These brothers should be thrown in jail for what they have done and their lack of urgency to fix the issues. There never should have been an issue of sterilization at this plant in the first place. However, once you realize there is a problem, it is your civic duty to fix it ASAP.

So a company that makes products which are suppose to help prevent infections, is actually causing them.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
If there medical wipes and there supposed to kill bacteria how did the bacteria get on it in the first place.. ?
and you would think it would be pretty hard for bacteria to enter the facility.
I remember how there was HIV tainted vaccines shippedof to africa, maybe same scenario here.
It does sound really suspicious

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Very interesting, thanks for bringing this onboard. Yes, how did bacteria get in there? Did it grow naturally? Because if it didn't, then I am suspicious! Who would have ever thought that a wipe would get you sick! This is the 21st century, right ?"

ETA: So these guys were told to address quality control issues by the FDA back in 09, and now this:

In the midst of questions about product safety, both men have put their Wisconsin homes up for sale. David Haertle is asking $2.6 million for a 5-bedroom, 6-bathroom lakeside home in Oconomowoc Lake, Wis. Eric Haertle is seeking $789,900 for a 4-bedroom, 4-bathroom “executive home” in Delafield, Wis., according to the listing.

And this is the bacteria?!

The iodine prep pads were recalled March 16 after they were found to be contaminated with the bacteria Elizabethkingia meningoseptica, which has been linked to meningitis in newborns and flesh-eating bacteria disease.

peace,
spec
edit on 28-3-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingfanpaul

lol to be honest with you i think alot of this is bs just because someone posted it on the internet dose not make it true i mean have you heard anything else on this?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mrcancerman

Its a well known news website, so its very unlikely for it to be false.
Also, news outlets arent allowed to just make up stories so theres going to be some truth to it

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by littlecloud
reply to post by mrcancerman

Its a well known news website, so its very unlikely for it to be false.
Also, news outlets arent allowed to just make up stories so theres going to be some truth to it

While I believe this story to be true, I find it laughable to believe that news outlets have never made up a story. I thought it was common knowledge here that TPTB control the media and tell us whatever they like. In addition, I also find it hilarious to have the belief that since it is a well known news website, its unlikely to be false.

We must view the news and make our own estimate to the authenticity of a report. I find something like this news story to be most likely accurate. But some stories published, even on popular news sites, just seem fabricated.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Oh yeah definately i completely agree with you, when my stepmums boyfriend died the story on the news was completely sensationalised and was completely different to what actually happened.
In saying that though, i dont see why this would be made up. Whats the motive? and if so, why isnt it well known?
Thats what makes me think its more of a cover up than an exaggerated news story

Its still pretty bad that with the technology we have, things like this still happen. How slack!

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Do you have any more information on this? Where are these wipes distributed and under what trade name?

Iodine is more potenent bacteriocidal solution than alcohol, but they both are effective in killing most bacteria.Forget it if it's a bacteria that has spores, and since I haven't looked up the ones mentioned yet, I don't know if that is part of the problem. I am also wondering if the solutions were dilute or the bacteria are on the packaging, or maybe it's a combination of both. Either way, I've not heard of this story until this thread, and honestly, this is scary to me because I've sterilize my nursing equipment with both of these products and now I'm worried they are not getting disinfected.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I guess MSNBC can't be accused of rumor mongering on this one.

www.fda.gov...

One thought I have... must be a fairly ineffective product. Aren't these designed to kill bacteria?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by littlecloud
If there medical wipes and there supposed to kill bacteria how did the bacteria get on it in the first place.. ?

You know I was thinking about this more today.....How in the world can those bacteria survive on a alcohol wipe?? It just does not sound right. I might be able to understand some bacteria making it into say a food factory and contaminating food, but it just seems hard to imagine bacteria contaminating alcohol wipes in the factory without some insidious reason behind it. Which also makes me feel like we shouldn't only be concerned with shutting this company down, there should be an investigation into how this is happening.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Yeah something must really be going wrong, because to the best of my knowledge the alcohol should kill the bacteria.
So theres two options:

Either the medical wipes simply arent medical grade and are falsely deemed to be for extra profit or whatever. If so though, wouldnt there be standards in place to stop this false labelling? Is there a set of guidelines that need to be met?

Or there is some sort of super bacteria that dosent die when being exposed to alcohol. That sounds to me that it could possibly be bio enginerred and was placed on the wipes with maliculous intent.

Im hoping that its the first one hahaha, i agree with you though either way this place needs to be shut down and put under investigation. Not that that will happen though.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
iodine prep wipes to be taken off shelves

hmmm ...need I say more
edit on 31-3-2011 by xsheep because: fix the smiles

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by xsheep

Wasnt just iodine, it was alcohol and some sort of jelly too.
Sorry for the probably obvious question.. but why is the iodine so suprising?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by littlecloud

Bacteria don't need any help with being malicious. They have been adapting to antibiotics and disinfectants for years, are becoming increasingly resistant, and are evolving faster than antibiotics are being developed to stop them. I remember reading an interview about a year ago with a retired Dr. from Australia that stated in 100 years, bacteria will have defeated humans and will be all that is left on the planet. I will neve forget while I was in microbiology lab last summer the charts and posters on the walls of all the different bacteria that are EVERYWHERE, I didn't eat anything but Cherrios for a month. It's really a good thing they are so small we can't see them, otherwise our world view of life would be completely different!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by xsheep
iodine prep wipes to be taken off shelves

hmmm ...need I say more
edit on 31-3-2011 by xsheep because: fix the smiles

Well, since the recall is from January 3rd, I think you probably do need to say more.

This is a frightening story. I take a medication that has to be injected, and found that every wipe I had, even those under different brand names, were all made by this same company and thus all subject to the recall (which doesn't even have a lot number to go by that I can see).

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Upon being made aware of the date of the withdrawal of the wipes
I now need to thank you for correcting me as I can see that it was an assumption on my part.
brought on by my own observation of the scarcity of iodine.

I thought that the wipes where no longer working because maybe one of the normal ingredient
had been taken out …so it could be made into a higher profit
that ingredient being the Iodine .

I now stand corrected in my ignorance .

top topics

join