It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More plastic than plankton in Pacific Ocean!!??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This is just exactly why things need to change, were are everyones priorities do we just not care about our earth the one that gives life and experience, we need to fix this and soon.

Amass of plastic in the Pacific, increasing tenfold each decade since 1945, is now the size of Texas and killing everything in its wake.

www.canada.com... d=9b6ec29f-764f-45d4-a36b-1c5f285d11d8

A great documentary that goes into immense detail of the dangerous of plastic and how it effects us all is called Addicted to Plastic. The link to the trailer is underneath.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by gmac10001

I just recently posted a thread: Florida kayaker has close encounter with enormous shark (rare shark sighting)

The interesting thing is this shark is a plankton feeder and is not normally seen in Florida waters. Not sure if the Pacific qualifies as "temperate" waters as the article suggests. None the less, your OP could perhaps explain why it was spotted, more plankton than plastic over here? Just a notion.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by gmac10001

I always brings this up when people say that the condition of the Earth is; "not our mess-. It is the ELITES, they did it!". I bring it up because the plastic mainly is caused by junk that tourists throws overboard because they are too darn stupid to use a trashcan.
Indeed, it IS the Everyday Persons mess. It is everyones mess. Some just wants to blame their own stupidity on some big scapegoat rather than taking responsibility of their own actions.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
See that greenish Cloud, thats all plastic trash, floating in the ocean. This things are huge, thanks us.

Near view:

Mhhhh. Think about a huge NUCLEAR RADIATED Trash Patch...

Human Garbage, Garbage Human. Time to distinct.

edit on 27-3-2011 by cushycrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

That very possible and plausible, there are 6 times the amount or plastic to plankton and its know as the "national flower" since the ban of 2003 the bag were just tossed to the streets blocking sewers and destroying their country and now they have corporate businesses like Walmart coming to India the disposable plastic is goinf to rise to dangerous levels.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Nightchild

putting them into trashcans doesnt mean its not goin to harm us, its petroleum based which means as long as plastic is used there is a demand for crude oil, we need to have an alternative this whole tourist throwing bottles to the side of the road is not the main cause of this the recycling companies dont dispose of it properly and the DEHP is a plasticise while leaks into the water the bottles we drink, and the compounds are effecting our genetics it is all of our problem no we are being attacked by the elites so how do we combat it.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Ah yes the great pacific garbage patch as i know it heard about this years ago very sad indeed supposedly there 5 or so others around the world where the ocean currents come together but i never seen any pictures of them. The plastics bake in the sun on the surface and become brittle and break down to very small pieces fish and other animals end up eating this and it has been known to cause birth problems in some people who have a heavy diet of fish such as Eskimos so iv heard.I have also heard our government spotted this back in 1955 then they say it was only 5 miles across but later said they wont fit the bill to clean it because no one can prove who it was from. I watched some documentary is where i heard all this. Just like the beaches in Hawaii covered in plastic its a shame.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by gmac10001
reply to post by Nightchild

putting them into trashcans doesnt mean its not goin to harm us

Ofcourse not, but atleast it will not desolve into fine particles in the way it is doing now, because people throw whole junk in the Sea. If people would be throwing their junk in trashcans, then the aftermath would atleast consist of "only" poisonous chemicals, but now it is billions and billions of actual plastic particles, that suffocates the creatures of the Sea and turns the Sea into one big... Well, mess.

we need to have an alternative this whole tourist throwing bottles to the side of the road is not the main cause of this the recycling companies dont dispose of it properly and the DEHP is a plasticise while leaks into the water

Actually, that IS one of the BIG reasons. Companies do not throw soda bottles, plastic bags, Cigarettes and napkins in the Oceans and on the Streets and in the Parks- The everyday Joes and Janes do. Blaming it on someone else is just silly and totally contraproductive.

the bottles we drink, and the compounds are effecting our genetics it is all of our problem no we are being attacked by the elites so how do we combat it.

People are being attacked by each others stupidity and inability to take personal response. The moment "We" stop blaming exactly everything bad that the Everyday People themselves do on some Elite, the sooner people will also grow up. THAT is what needs to be done, and THAT is how We are combating it- by taking responsibility for the Environment and not blaming it on some silly scapegoat crying "THEY dit it- THEY dit it!".
edit on 27-3-2011 by Nightchild because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
We humans are a filthy disgusting lot. I see people carelessly dumping their garbage from cars and boats everyday. I enjoy hiking and mt. biking in remote areas and still see garbage strewn about the trails. I pack out as much as I can carry but the @#$% always returns just in time for my next visit.

SAD SAD

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Folks, go see my two rants under the Earth Hour thread here in Fragile Earth. Then go out and take a walk in your neighborhood or your parks and come back and tell me you don't see the same thing I see. For many frustrating YEARS now I've been the eccentric neighbor lady going out picking up this crap. I've got an extra recycle bin taking up much needed room in my garage because everyone else seems to think it's someone else's job to pick this $# up. One time I was laid up for a month with the flu in a previous neighborhood and when I finally recovered enough to get back on the walking trail with my dog, I was devastated to see how bad it got because I missed my rounds that month. Joggers couldn't be bothered to throw their fancy bottled water bottles in the trash cans or carry it home again. These are people who can afford to live well so why do they want to blight their landscape?

I don't live in a poor neighborhood anymore. I have lived in solid middle to upper middle class neighborhoods since the mid 1990's. When I did live in a poor neighborhood, people picked their stuff up or the moms would have whipped some butts. Nobody thought they were too good to bend and pick up their own trash or heck, send their kids out to do it and do something useful with their time.

What do I see now? Kids with strong limbs and able bodies instead using their energy to wreck nature, knock
bird nests out of trees, terrorize squirrels...and walk on by a plastic bottle. I understand people are afraid of touching dirty things these days. Afraid of getting AIDS from finding a dirty needle or something. That's what thick work gloves are for. And sharp sticks. Oh well, maybe I am an eccentric loser.

I have to give props to the town of Takoma Park MD. I lived there for only a brief time but I was impressed and wish I could have stayed longer. They have a reputation as a crazy hippy kind of town but it was the only place in this county I ever saw that had a community clean up day where just about everyone turned up to clean up. They didn't sit there whining that the county wasn't doing enough to pick up their litter.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Well maybe we can finally get technology like what this man created and turn plastics back into usable fuel.

This is what I call recycling.
edit on 27-3-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Isn't that why god made man? He wants plastic?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

I live in a college town at the moment and i am the maintenance man for a management Co.

I cannot tell you how many plastic water bottles i pick up every day..

just tossed to the curb or on the ground somewhere...

pathetic really...makes me wonder about our youth these days...

maybe we need to bring back the old "give a hoot, don't pollute" ads..

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
What irritates me the most about this is that when plastic was invented why did people not actually look into the amount of damage it could possibly cause? Its not like it wasn't obvious.
My little brother, who is 13, thinks its quite obvious that when we microwave food in a plastic container the foods going to get contaminated by chemicals, Its also quite obvious to him that its going to take ages to break down since its not a natural substance.

Wouldnt the creators know this? Wouldnt they know that their product was not soluable at all?
This is human greed on one of its highest levels, we change the environment around us to adapt unlike other animals, but we are now making it less habitable for them and more habital to us.

Is anything even being done to stop this massive plastic thing? Or is this just going to become one of those less well known scientific facts.
Also, this is pretty unrelated, but in revelations it says something about near the end 1/3 of the animals in the ocean will die..

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Wow. I am stunned. I had never heard of this.

The machine that turns plastic into oil is just amazing. If that thing is for real, he's gonna be a bazzilionaire. I wonder if they are commerically available? Google? Oh, OK, I'll go do that...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Recycling plastic isn't the only answer. And neither is to stop using it completly,or banning it.

A part of my work includes new product development worldwide,some products using plastics.

New technology makes a lot of new and existing resins and plastics Certified Biodegradable in a landfill.
www.ensobottles.com...

Not that cornstarch based rubbish that softens your forks and spoons when you put it in a cup- of- soup out of a microwave. The bans in California to outlaw plastic bags in some cities was driven by the lobbiests for cornstarch based plastics .
www.google.com... SPTYP7HIOssAPqssmMCQ&usg=AFQjCNFNLTsxBqJ2B1aJjwHaUdZ2GE3sZw

Degregation of material(plastic) in a landfill was forced down to 120 days or it can't be called biodegradable.
That's Bull**** (lobbiests almost pulled it off into law for WHOLE State of Cali..Arnie BALKED..You know how many jobs were at stake?)
Plastics were not made out be biodegradable. They never thought it through....That's deplorable. "Hey! I can make this.. cheap..AND you can store water,food and lots of stuff for a long time...but we just don't know HOW long after you throw it away. OHHHH REALLY long!)
Not all cornstarch applications for using that material are bad.
To ban plastics because of the lobbiests in Cal..... IS.

Gotta clean up the oceans and landfills and fix the plastics problems and admit how bad it is..

Next phase....

Make sure we're working on correcting the problem for future generations.

It's funny...you think your doing the right thing promoting no plastic baggies..when the ban was bought and payed for by an inferior products representative to increase their sales..

Had nothing to do with the Earth at all.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonTattooz
Wow. I am stunned. I had never heard of this.

The machine that turns plastic into oil is just amazing. If that thing is for real, he's gonna be a bazzilionaire. I wonder if they are commerically available? Google? Oh, OK, I'll go do that...

Low possibility he will end up rich, most likely will be assasinated by the major fuel and electriciy company's or his Idea will be stolen, he re-developed to be made cheaper but not as eco-friendly....

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Breaks my heart and reminds me why I believe that we don't deserve our planet.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
We need to act on this... thanks for sharing.
I have shared on my facebook and i suggest everybody else do so!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
We're going to need a really big skimmer net...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join