It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation spike at Japan nuclear plant was an 'error'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+64 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Radiation spike at Japan nuclear plant was an 'error'

www.ctv.ca

Workers at a tsunami-damaged nuclear plant were forced to evacuate after radiation levels 10 million times above the normal rate were reported in a reactor unit Sunday, but the reading was an error, officials say.

Officials quickly adjusted the threat warnings on Sunday, saying the reported measurements were a mistake and that water did not test 10 million times than usual.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+66 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I wonder when they are going to admit how serious this really is and stop covering things up. The radiation must be pretty high because of the radiation burns the workers suffered. The sea water around the plan is radioactive, produce is contaminated, drinking water is not safe in Tokyo...etc. It certainly does not help that the media keeps changing their stories as well. In my opinion someone needs to step up and be accountable for this. They need to figure out something quick, and at least start telling us the whole truth.

www.ctv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
When has any major problem such as this ever forced those in the know to reveal the truth or provide transparency. I'm not sure what people expect but if they want the truth they are only fooling themselves, it won't happen. The obfuscation is needed to protect those who can't protect themselves, they need government and bureaucratic types to dictate their lives. Besides, if the problem is as big as some suspect, what do you do with millions of people in such a small area, yet alone an island?

brill

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I think they need to stop all exports of food and stop all fishing due to contamination, and maybe have independent countries come in and assess the damage because Japan is covering up the extensiveness of the contamination.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by brill

I get your point on how you say we shouldn't expect the authorities in power to tell us the truth or to help us. But it is a nice thought none the less. I always pictured Japan as a world leader in ethics and making the right decisions when it came to it's people. But it is clearly obvious that who ever is calling the shots over there does not have the people's best interests as a priority. You are correct, there are many people there and it would be difficult to evacuate that many people.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

I certainly agree, we need to make sure that anything from that region does not make it into the food system. We also need to make sure we can secure a steady supply of non contaminated food and water for the Japanese people. The seriousness of this crisis will most likely continue to get worse as we find out more information.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Then again, I think we are not being told the whole truth either. Last weekend, radation monitoring stations in Colorado were reading 240-274, alert level being 100, normal being around 40-60. Then the monitoring "went down" for repairs for a few days. The news said we had "miniscule" radiation hitting Colorado, and we get 100,000 times that every day from the sun, rocks and bricks. NO I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT at all. So what was our radiation readings when the monitoring sites were "down" for repairs those few days? Do they really think people go outside and play with rocks and bricks all day?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I read about the Colorado monitoring station as well, I believe it was on a different thread on ATS. I used to live on the west coast and was glad I am back east when I heard of the news, but if it made it across the Pacific so quickly, it was no surprise that it has reached Europe. We can only hope that the radiation is as low as they say it is. Regrettably I can't trust what they tell me, I am to used to getting lied to by the people who are supposed to protect us.
edit on 27-3-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: grammar

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by brill

I get your point on how you say we shouldn't expect the authorities in power to tell us the truth or to help us. But it is a nice thought none the less. I always pictured Japan as a world leader in ethics and making the right decisions when it came to it's people. But it is clearly obvious that who ever is calling the shots over there does not have the people's best interests as a priority. You are correct, there are many people there and it would be difficult to evacuate that many people.

What I personally find remarkable is the amount of civility maintained, its jaw dropping considering how much these people have been exposed to. By comparison many other major disasters are usually a breeding ground for contempt. At some point here, assuming the nuke situation deteriorates, the calm and rational Japanese are going to break, everyone has a tipping point. They appear to be putting a lot of trust into standard government verbal diarrhea and it is shocking that TEPCO seems to have so much authority.

brill
edit on 27-3-2011 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Well worth reading:

The nuclear industry is a snake-oil culture of habitual misrepresentation, pervasive wishful thinking, deep denial, and occasional outright deception.

When nuclear reactors blow, the first thing that melts down is the truth.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by brill

I also noticed that Tepco seemed to exercise unmatched authority, they seem to operate at their own discretion, almost like a government entity. I wonder to what extent they will be held accountable for the complications at the reactors due to their construction and maintenance practices.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Don't believe this was an error. 6 melting down reactor with the official admission of over 11 000 spent fuel rods, but if they're "lying"
the potential for over 600 000. I think that would be a minimum reading. It should be more.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Thanks for providing that article

It was a good read and is very relevant to what is happening in Japan. The Nuclear energy industry always had it's skeptics, but I do not think it will ever be looked at as the "clean energy of the future" that many used to believe it to be.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
On another thread, water in reactor 2 10 million time normal level. Wate to be removed and replaced with fresh water. Just where do you suppose they will put this contaminated water that is being removed?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Oh I'm sorry. I mistaked 10 million times the normal radiation with just slightly higher than normal radiation. Okay, riiiiiight.
I bet that operator "commits suicide" or has a sudden "natural death".

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
On another thread, water in reactor 2 10 million time normal level. Wate to be removed and replaced with fresh water. Just where do you suppose they will put this contaminated water that is being removed?

It goes into the ocean, where else...? They have no choice but a bad choice. That is the problem. There are no good choices when this stuff goes haywire.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Lets not rampage around the countryside, and screaming at the top our lungs that world is ending. I am concerned by what is going at the reactor site as much as anyone else. Multiple reactors have been in free-fall mode since the quake and tsunami. This is a crisis of unprecedented proportions, and I think the experts are dumbfounded at this as much as we are.

All we can do is continue playing this one by the numbers and digesting the facts as they arrive. No doubt some of the information is probably downgraded as to not cause mass panic. Is it wrong that the facts are being fudged and distorted? Yes, to a certain degree it is, however; this country is enduring a natural disaster of epic proportions. A populace that goes stir crazy will only hinder recovery efforts. The Japanese government ought to be looked upon by other governments when it comes to crisis management, because I am amazed that the resolve of the country has not unraveled at the seams with all of this bad news coming out from the faulty power plant. Everyone should just remain calm, and play this one by the numbers.
edit on 27-3-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The media should just do what it does best and stop reporting this important event altogether.
I mean if they can't get the facts right what the Hell is the point?

They need to stop pretending they are in the business of journalism and adjust their scope of practice to what they really do, which is spread as much BS as thickly as possible without abatement..
As far as the Japanese government is concerned, what are you gonna do? I mean really. The weasel ass government of the US is whitewashing everything that comes out of Japan, and Japan itself is whitewashing the event as well so the best thing you can do is just ignore it until it blows up in their faces....literally.

Thumbs down to genetically inferior idiots that run countries.
Thumbs down to idiots in general.
Screw it, thumbs down to everything...period.

edit on 27-3-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

My thoughts exactly.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Was waiting for this.
Last night on ABC,they reported that it was 10mill times the safe limit in the headline,then when they went to the story,they mentioned nothing, the story was already what we knew.
I said to my wife did you notice how they didnt report on the radiation,it was very obviously swept under the rug at the last minute.Very strange for the abc, anyone else notice?
Japan will be the worlds largest wasteland in a few years.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join