It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Engineering of the Ancients and Modern Parallels. Please Answer.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I have been watching a television show via YouTube hosted by the History channel called “Ancient Aliens”. In the series it talks about the possibility that mankind was visited in earths remote past and basically guided by extra terrestrial people, hence the title of the show.

The argument if you can call it that is based on the idea that many of the megalithic constructs of the past are and were too incredibly advanced to have been created by humans of the time period.
After researching a few of these I admit there are some wonderful examples of engineering and mechanical extremism. Though I do think this show speculates A LOT and is definitely slanted to the idea they are postulating, I do agree with some of what they talk about. Personally I am of the mind that Humans are capable enough on their own given enough time and resources to accomplish whatever they want. That being said, I would like some opinions on the following question.

Assuming mankind did indeed build such things as the pyramids and many other similar structures which I believe they did; what would the engineering parallel be for modern civilization?
What would it be tantamount to? It is so blatantly stated that the level of engineering required to do these things are on an order of magnitude greater than what we currently have that if we attempted to do them today we would have some serious technical issues……To some of that I agree; however to the ancients who built the underground city of Derinkuyu in Turkey for example, or the Ancient Egyptians what would the full scope of the project have meant to society?

So, again the question I have is what would be its modern day equal?
Would the methods of overcoming technical issues be like us building a two mile high skyscraper capable of housing hundreds of thousands of people; where the resources needed would bring a substantial slowdown to other industries that require steel and glass?
OR
Would it be more akin to us attempting to build a functioning and practical orbital tower some 12,000 miles high, or perhaps changing the way civilization functions as a whole; where the combined effort of every nation would be required to make a sacrifice for the cause of building the structure?
I hope I’m making sense, I can’t tell from reading what I’m writing because I know what I am saying. I am not able to find such comparisons on the web, and I may be looking in the wrong places, so I would appreciate any thoughts on the subject which I find interesting.

Here are a few links if anyone is interested, it’s nothing special but here ya go.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.youtube.com...

Thanks ATS

edit on 27-3-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-3-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Modern Day Equal= ISS International Space Station...

Even this boggles my mind how they assembled this all in space!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The only thing I can think of is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)

The LHC lies in a tunnel 27 kilometres (17 mi) in circumference, as much as 175 metres (574 ft) beneath the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva, Switzerland....It was built in collaboration with over 10,000 scientists and engineers from over 100 countries, as well as hundreds of universities and laboratories .

Wikipedia

And it took about 25 yrs from beginning of construction to the first particle collisions.

Oh, the Hoover Dam is pretty impressive also.
edit on 27-3-2011 by watchitburn because: spelling

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by grindhouzer

While the science behind this seems rather advanced, It seems too small scale to be compared successfully to ancient engineering. I don't know I could be wrong, I don't know what went into it's creation.
It just seems that the resources needed,,,"Physical resources" hat is are so small as to not be noticeable to people on a large scale.
Also, It has been suggested that during ancient times such constructs would have been of interest to people around the world. The ISS seems to have just appeared without much thought by the apathetic public. Though that could just be due to our modern culture.
The Moon landing is in my mind far more impressive a feat.
Thanks for your point though.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

This seems very reasonable, the LHC I didn't even think about that. Not to mention what it is used for. lol
If someone finds that in 10 thousand years only conspiracy theorists will believe that it was not a temple.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Ancient Aliens is my favorite show and I can't wait for the new season...

Giorgio or hair and tan guy is my hero

Here is a link to RisingAgainsts reasearch thread on the AA theory. You will probably enjoy the links and information if you like the show.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Here is a link to RisingAgainsts reasearch thread on the AA theory. You will probably enjoy the links and information if you like the show.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks for linking to that mblah!.

And If anyone is interested in Ancient Aliens, check out the second post from that link as well. Reason being, I've added a link to every Ancient Aliens episode and all are in full.

edit on 27-3-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

LOL

I guess everyone thinks the same thing when they see that guy, crazy hair bad tan.

Thanks for the links.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Some of you are missing the point. No one doubts that humans could have created the huge stone cities if they had had the necessary tools to carve out and shape the great blocks of stone. But that's the very issue! According to what archeology knows (rather than claims), the technology that was available thousands of years ago not just not up to the job. The flimsy chisels and saws that the people might have had (or were known to have) could never have bored perfectly smooth holes through six feet of solid granite or cut blocks so that they fitted together like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle - even with comparable accuracy! Archeologists gloss over such problems because they cannot provide plausible explanations, nor actual artifacts that could have done the job - they DON'T EXIST! So they pretend there is no problem or even chide doubters for not believing that ancient peoples had the perseverance or technological prowess to create such wonderful and large architecture. They play a disingenuous game with the general public, many of whom have seen through their dishonest attempts to hide their inability to explain some of these wonders. No surprise therefore than some resort to the alien hypothesis. At least it can provide an answer to these mysteries - unlike accounts by mainstream archeologists.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

Couldn't agree more. The size of the stones used to build some of the temples and monuments would be beyond modern capabilities to move and hoist. There are stones lying around that are MASSIVE, and they were brought from miles away. They are cut to laser precision and fitted so well that they haven't moved in a thousand years. But, they would have us believe they were moved with logs or floated on rafts.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
A modern equivalent to underground cities or tunnel systems would be the tunnels dug by the Vietnamese during wartime.

When the War took place in Vinh Moc from 1966 to 1972, the United States Army released on this land over 9,000 ton of bombs. On the average, each person who lived in Vinh Moc must bear 7 ton of US bombs. But the local people didn't want to leave or lose their motherland. So, they began to dig tunnels in 1965 and finished in 1967 with simple tools and 18,000 labor days. The total length of the tunnels is nearly 2,000 m long with 6 entrances to the top of hills and 7 entrances to the China sea.

So, they began to dig tunnels in 1965 and finished in 1967 with simple tools and 18,000 labor days.

This is modern evidence of an archaic building practice. And the fact that it was done in just a couple years shows that with a lifespan truly great things can be built by hand.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

By your stats, those tunnels could have been created by 100 workers, working 40 hour weeks in those two years. Doesn't seem all that impressive. Unless i interpreted that wrong.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The possibility that people in very ancient times may have developed a technologically advanced civilisation is far more appealing to me than the ancient astronaut theory. The reason for that is that whilst it is very easy to look at some ancient marvel of engineering and say "Aliens did it", I cannot help but feel What if aliens didn't? Don't we then run the risk of belittling our ancestors' acheivements, and aren't we also running the risk of belittling the human spirit of endeavor itself?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dfens
reply to post by boncho

By your stats, those tunnels could have been created by 100 workers, working 40 hour weeks in those two years. Doesn't seem all that impressive. Unless i interpreted that wrong.

That's exactly my point. Go look at those tunnels and tell me they aren't impressive. And two years is nothing, another 20 and they could have been 10x the size. Meaning, in ancient times in one generation a tunnel system 10x the size of the Vietnamese system could be built.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Mmm. for the next hundred years, I think our "Piramid" could be the construction of the first starship.
Even if it has a primitive propulsion system (ie: nuclear) it'd be a collosal achievement that would mark humanity as a whole.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I think I'd nominate the Hoover Dam. Although the actual construction took 6 years (remember, they had machines that the ancients didn't have), the full stage from planning to finish took more than a decade (land acquisition, etc.) In order to build it, they had to solve a number of engineering problems that had never been attempted before.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.usbr.gov...

As to the "ancient stones so tightly fitted" legend... they are well made, true -- but they're not THAT perfectly cut or aligned. Look at some closeup pictures of them and you'll see what I mean. We can construct surfaces that appear to be one huge slab of material because the joins are so close as to be invisible. You can see the joints on every single block there.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Reply to post by Byrd

It's also been thousands of years since their construction. Erosion is inevitable.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

join