It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Face of Disaster: "Everybody is leaving town!"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Well all the best to you and may you be protected from harmfull effects.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ckno1

Originally posted by ckno1
I don´t understand anyone who is not leaving Tokyo. The government is lying. Tepco is lying. Do you think it is getting better??

Tokyo is about 200 Miles from Fukushima away - let´s compare it with Chernobyl:

Increased rate of thyroid cancer was found in children from 4 to 15 years years after Chernobyl, in Cities up to 300 miles distant.

This guy answers a few of your points, including Chernobyl having made an area roughly the size of Switzerland uninhabitable for 300 years. (I have to look into that one further.
)

In the meanwhile:

@6:40

"I was walking around Tokyo today, and there are less people on the streets, but generally, generally, people are getting on with life as normal. Now I'm thinking, are these people I'm seeing here= are they just stupid? Or do they have no choice, that there is nothing left, that there is nowhere to go? It's, well, probabaly all of the above.

You know, as people have been saying, even if it does come to some kind of-- you know, the worst of the worst, where are we going to go? And when I say we, I mean people livibg in Tokyo, we make 25% of the country's population. Can you imagine that number of people trying to eveacuate at the same time? It's a scary thought."

Here is the article he mentions @ 3:56:

Nuclear Power Runs Amok: Laurence Kotlikoff and Eugene Stanley

The worst case. These three words have been at the back of everyone’s mind ever since the Fukushima reactors began malfunctioning after being swamped by a tsunami. Remarkably, these reactors have been at the front of few experts’ mouths.

Many experts have shied away from describing worst-case outcomes, which are terrifying to contemplate and risky to mention. The risk isn’t just panicking the public. Crying wolf can threaten one’s expert status.

The bias toward calm, cool expression has been on full display in this crisis.

The Japanese are particularly good at the stiff upper lip. The authorities have serially indicated that exploding reactor housing is not a big problem, that released radioactive steam is not a big problem, that the significant cracks in containment vessels are not a big problem, that burning spent fuel ponds are not a big problem, and that the contamination of food and water is not a big problem. To top off all this, Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s president, Masataka Shimizu, made a formal apology “for causing such a great concern and nuisance.”

Earth to Shimizu: This isn’t just a nuisance.

More...

That one almost deserves it's own thread.

edit on 27-3-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I remember when this quake happened... The first thing I thought was... "This is it, from here on out its every man for himself". Even here in the US.
The helplessness, stress... The pain... is so apparent in the people over there speaking out...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
As mentioned: The Size of Switzerland!

Even I am only now coming to terms with the scale of this disaster-- and I thought I was well read on this crisis.

Good grief, this is bad...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Most people probably can't (yet) comprehend the size of this disaster, no one really knows, it changes as it grows. People can certainly relate to the pain of another person though. The video tugged at the heart. So sad.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Given my post above, is it logical to think that Tokyo is really that safe????

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Originally posted by LadySkadi
People can certainly relate to the pain of another person though. The video tugged at the heart. So sad.

Indeed it did. That is in part why I posted it.

I kept imagining what I would say and do in that circumstance, but honestly, never got that far... It's just too incomprehensible.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sarahko

Yes I have to agree with your statement. Folks often speak from what they perceive as practicality and don't take into consideration it's not always so cut and dry for everybody when they talk about others abandoning their homes for safer areas. Economics as well as where to go can stand in the way of that happening. One just can't leave and resettle in another country without going through that country's process better known as "red tape" and that's not usually a quick process.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It says the video was removed by the user. I guess it couldn't of been that important.

2nd line.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
One of my friends in Tokyo is staying put. He is a Canadian who teaches English and has not spoken one word about the problems or issues of staying.

I think one of the best sources of info on what is happening in Tokyo will come from members who live there. We know the news media will continue to report wildly different stories as they have been all along.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I see the video was posted 5 hrs ago and now removed by user?

Something smells rotten.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I see the video was posted 5 hrs ago and now removed by user?

Something smells rotten.

I'm guessing he was embarrased for going to pieces in public on youtube. He provided no objective information, made wild claims, and spent most of the time sniffling and feeling sorry for himself.

I'd pull it too.
edit on 3/27/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
To all those that are listening to the *Govn't* telling you that radiation levels are returning to normal...

do you believe them?

Also.. is there a way for a regular person to take whatever equip and go test for themselves?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by tracehd1
To all those that are listening to the *Govn't* telling you that radiation levels are returning to normal...

do you believe them?

Also.. is there a way for a regular person to take whatever equip and go test for themselves?

I do not *trust* the governement in general. I *believe* them on certain points. For now, the readings they are giving out seem to dovetail with some independent measurements.

Note the key terms here: "seem" and "for now."

Anyone with a geiger counter can go on ground and take measurements. You can get geigers over the internet or amazon, etc....or at least you could before this crisis. Now they are pretty much impossible to come by in Japan due to crazy-high demand.We have one guy in central Tokyo taking readings who reported very low readings about an hour ago of 0.043µSv/h in the southern portion of the city.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Yeah, I think the levels detected depend on the current winds at the time the readings are taken.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

He's obviously scared, give him some slack. He has good reason to be, given the lack of reliable information the public is receiving.

However, I'd probably pull it too, after I cooled off.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Video was removed

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Wow... thank-you for such great information. Not only did you give me facts that make sense... but also educated me. Greatly appreciated. That's why I love this site... people like you!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
[Sorry mistake]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join