It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geraldine Ferraro dies at 75 She was the trailblazing 1984 vice presidential nominee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Geraldine Ferraro, the trailblazing 1984 vice presidential nominee, died Saturday at Massachusetts General Hospital surrounded by her family, NBC News confirmed. She was 75.

Ferraro died of complications from multiple myeloma, a blood cancer that she had battled for 12 years, according to a statement from her family. This is all I got so far. I think it's just breaking. My thoughts go out.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
How sad may she rest in peace. Geraldine was a true trailblazer for females in our country.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by pigwithoutawig

I always liked Ferraro. She was the kind of no nonsense, pragmatic, moderate politican who was more about getting things done than tossing bombs at the other side. I was dissapointed that she kind of took a step back from politics after she lost the race - certainly did not help her to have been associated with the weakest presidential candidate in the last century.

I think she could have continued to be a force in politics were it not for her husband, who had a bit of a shady background and seemed to a bit mobbed-up.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

That's the same way I was thinking. I mean it's going back to when I was a kid but I seem to remember liking her. Also I think I respected her, but back in the day Politicians got a lot more respect than they get now. Of course back them probably only half of them we're crooked. RIP Mrs Ferraro.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
www.answers.com...

scroll down past the brief intro for just a terse, well written summary.

while i have sympathy for those who are suffering her loss, i'm not going to feign personal sadness. she is 1 of billions i've never met. any day a lawyer slash D.A. slash politician ceases to function is a good day in my book.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

I think it's sad when any human dies except for a few murderers, politicians, and a few people I personally don't care for. Apparently you like to lump all politicians together. So be it, everyone has their opinion. I wonder if you might be Republican because that seems like a stand they might take.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by pigwithoutawig
reply to post by LargeFries

I think it's sad when any human dies except for a few murderers, politicians, and a few people I personally don't care for. Apparently you like to lump all politicians together. So be it, everyone has their opinion. I wonder if you might be Republican because that seems like a stand they might take.

Bless your heart for still believing there are politicians with morals and virtue or whatever you may value. It does not take sharp powers of observation to note that if a politician is drawing breath and their lips are moving, they are lying. I wonder why people allow the illusion of opposing parties in our government to exist, as R and D is a charade.

While this lady may have headed to college and passed the exam with good intent, it seems like lawyers lend to more negative than positive in their careers. Lawyer hate is not uncommon; I've heard quite a few good jokes over the years. Being a DA takes a special kind of person; I find lording over others to be a miserable position to seek. Maybe I've seen too much Law & Order and the McCoy pompous arrogance has eaten away at my good nature. Any way, Ferraro's quest for power continued with politics, where she failed to make a mark and was used as a showpiece tool by the good old boys club. Her career also was tainted by those she surrounded herself with. There was a lot of news ink used on her name back in the day.

But that was covered in my original post link. You are right, I lump all politicians together. This is the product of many years of TV news broadcasts, newspaper articles, magazine columns, radio shows and online media. Politicians delivering election promises that are not kept - how many times am I supposed to be okay with this? New/higher/more taxes for you & me while the ultra-wealthy and the cash churning mega corporations use lawyers, loopholes and friendly politicians to pay no taxes. Bribes, scandals, corruption, greed, drug use, misappropriation of funds, abuse of office, abuse of power. Each of these charges and many more, every year, across our country, year after year. Morals and scruples are something politicians pretend to have while they pose throughout the day.

Politicians are miserable wretches by their very definition: those that seek to manipulate, in politics.

I've lost all faith and trust in all politicians. I do not trust those that desire to reign over others, be it from the political stage, law enforcement or religion. These people have their own motivation & agenda. History is full of people who have suffered and died at their hands. Masked aggression, greed and the burning desire to lord over others are the traits of the people who have the world in the state it is in at this moment.

Thank you for your reply.

top topics

join