It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drilling permits given, even though cut-off preventors dont work

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I`ve searched for this and cant find anything on it.

Is this crazy or what but the US government are allowing more permits to drill in the Gulf coast even though a new report says that the cut-off preventors will not work if the same thing happens.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Hope i got the links right.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I think it's crazy that the government allows cars to be built because although the vast majority of them are never involved in a fatal accident, sometimes someone is killed in one.
I think it's crazy that the government lets us have electricity in our homes because although the vast majority of homes don't burn down due to electrical fires sometimes someone is killed in an electrical fire in their home.
I think it's crazy that the government lets drug companies sell medicines that save millions of lives because although the vast majority of them are safe if used properly, sometimes one ends up killing people and has to removed from the market.
I think it's crazy that the government lets people fly in aircraft because although the vast majority of flights don't crash, sometimes a plane will crash, killing people on board.

And chances are if we drilled everywhere we could, Alaska, off the coastlines, etc., we would have a lot less reason for messing around in the middle east like we are now.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The reporter was wrong the people on the rig would have still died.

No blowout preventer could have stopped the surge of the gas. blowout preventers are not and never were built for that as the operators did not use the prevention properly.

It was operator error that allowed the bump to form and rig problems that did not vent the bump over the side of the rig instead of to the drill floor.
The rig fire would have still happened and the rig would have still burned.
All this was controlled by controlling the mud in the well.

All the cutoff shear is there for is to cutoff the drill pipe after all other means have failed.

The shear rams of the blowout preventer only comes into play after the complete loss of control by the operators.

They never had time to engage the blowout preventer. only automatic controls tried to after the loss of the rig and the damage had already been done by then.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

edit on 26-3-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

So do you agree that they should be given the permits to do more drilling even after the report ?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

top topics

join