It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lesson Learned from Japan : has anyone notice this ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
All,

During the aftermath of the earthquake & tsunami, scenes that we saw in japan was quite different. has anyone notice the following ? i can't verify all but i do notice some of the points which is true. does anyone notice the same ?

1. THE CALM
Not a single visual of chest-beating or wild grief. Sorrow itself has been elevated.

2. THE DIGNITY
Disciplined queues for water and groceries. Not a rough word or a crude gesture.

3. THE ABILITY
The incredible architects, for instance. Buildings swayed but didn’t fall.

4. THE GRACE
People bought only what they needed for the present, so everybody could get something.

5. THE ORDER
No looting in shops. No honking and no overtaking on the roads. Just understanding.

6. THE SACRIFICE
Fifty workers stayed back to pump sea water in the N-reactors. How will they ever be repaid?

7. THE TENDERNESS
Restaurants cut prices. An unguarded ATM is left alone. The strong cared for the weak.

8. THE TRAINING
The old and the children, everyone knew exactly what to do. And they did just that.

9. THE MEDIA
They showed magnificent restraint in the bulletins. No silly reporters. Only calm reportage.

10. THE CONSCIENCE
When the power went off in a store, people put things back on the shelves and left quietly!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
yes, and i would like to say the same would happen in the U.S.

the japanese are a very different people than americans are.

while we are not all bad, there are a few whom i wonder about.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
All of your points are true, but what will be the end result?

2nd line

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

well the end results is still the same, but the impact can be minimized as shown during the aftermath, there is no widespread looting, people are discipline, compassionate and understanding.

another thing that i would like to point out, perhaps it is not politically correct but i will say it anyway. when the tsunami happens, my first thought was the death toll counts, i thought it will breached the number far greater than the indian ocean tsunami but thankfully the death toll is not high as compare to the indian ocean tsunami.

i guess, a well prepared country covers every aspect of readiness in the event disaster as such and the mentality and the discipline of the people helps to minimized the impact to the country as low as possible.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by affeyee

You do realize that the amount preparation they went through does not mean anything, when their entire country is uninhabitable due to the radiation issues? Great so the people didn't break and steal things....but after this is all over no one will ever step foot near the Islands of Japan for another 500-1000 years. Cheers to those who did not break things.....

edit on 24-3-2011 by mileysubet because: ommision

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
How many days did they wade through putrid stinking disease ridden water?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I don't know. Some of those things to me are the signs of an incredibly suppressed populace. The outward appearance of stoicism may well be the burying and internalization of an immense amount of grief. Do you want that inside, or out?

The architecture; well, if a nation has the means (i.e. financial and technical wherewithal) then it is expected that they would prepare for calamities which may strike it. Is it commendable, for instance, that Holland has an intricate network of floodgates and dikes to avert surges of water from the sea? No, because large swathes of the country are prone to flooding. It is merely the reasonable thing to do. In fact, speaking of Holland, I wonder if similar measures should have been taken in Japan considering that basically all its NPPs are situated along the coast and the country itself is prone to tsunamis. I mean, tsunami is a Japanese word for Chrissake.

Regarding the media. Well, there is concern now that what they are pumping out is highly rinsed, and filtered so as to avoid scaring the general public. This in itself is a noble reason. But there is a fine line between preventing mass panic and hysteria, and withholding crucial information that the public needs to know.

You know what it reminds me of? It reminds me of those Pavlovian condition experiments, and learned helplessness. Pavlov rung a bell to make his dog salivate; Japan rings the bell of nuclear fallout to make its population accept their fate like docile sheep. Hmm.
edit on 24-3-2011 by Noscible because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Individualist culture (US- as in the United States) VS. Collectivist culture (Japan).
'...that is all.'

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Noscible

i think they do, but the irrigation / walls are just not designed for such a huge surge of water rushing in. check out this footage, there is a wall between the houses road and the shore. notice the car was wash over the wall into the housing area ?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Earthquakes are common .. And a fact of life. Everyone in japan learns from young what to do during and after an earthquake. Most keep a small emergency kit at home and in vehicles. Buildings are designed and built to withstand quakes. Most of the damage was from the tsunami from what have seen this week .. The people are optimistic with many already planning to rebuild.. Also still finding survivors rescue teams working around the clock yet..
Japan will rebuild as it always has..
Only in for short time tonight off to get some sleep as much to do here yet..

new topics

top topics

join