It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Mosin Nagant Conversion Project

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by oldshooter1979

Yeah I have decided to leave the bolt polished as of now. Should the world end, I can cold blue it quickly or spray can everything od green, lol.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

Wow man that looks pretty good. What kind of stock did you use and have you put a scope on it yet?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
My page has changed, so I decided to group all of my Nagant Project posts into this post:

The ATI Monte Carlo Stock

The 1943 Mosin Nagant

The UTG LoPro BiPod I'm Using So Far

Nagant Disassembly

Test Fitting Parts

Mosin Nagant Reassembly

Final Assembly, A Problem With the ATI Stock, and Some Good Tips If You Have Feeding/Chambering Issues

This is what my OP should have looked like from the start. Hope this is helpful!

edit on 6-5-2011 by kadyr80 because: late night spelling errors

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

Looks just like mine, except the bipod. ATI makes a quality product. Have you shot it with the scope mounted yet? I think you're going to be disappointed with the accuracy, and man, that scope looks like overkill. I think you might find that it's set back too far to have your cheek on the stock properly, but i might be wrong. How does it feel? It honestly would have been a better Idea to spend the money on a Remington 770, as they come with a mounted scope for under $350 and out of the box most are under MOA accuracy. I think I'm gonna pull the scope and mount off and use it with Iron sights.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

They are great guns for the price though. Tough as hell.
edit on 7-5-2011 by deesul69 because: Trying to get the stupid picture to load.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I bought one at Sears in 1963. It set me back $13.20 including tax and 50 rounds of military ammo... I called in the order and picked up at the mail order counter at the local store with none of the hassle that you get today and I was 13 years old at the time... Five years later I was being shot at by snipers equipped with the ChiCom carbine version.. It is a very simple weapon that is virtually impossible to jam... It was used by Russian Olympic Marksmen to win the 1000 meter competition at the 1960 Winter Olympics... There is no pressed steel parts on those rugged, dependable combat rifles.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I would also recommend that if you plan on using the safety, you cut a washer or better yet a chain link in half and weld it onto the rear of the bolt to make it easier to manipulate. I haven't done it to mine because I don't use the safety. I might do it later though.

I paid $105 for mine, came with the bayonet, ammo pouch, oil can and belt. Pretty sweet deal for a shootable rifle.

The tins of surplus ammo are an awesome deal, but beware as most are corrosive. And when you're zeroing in the scope, I'd suggest using some new quality lead core ammo, as the majority of the surplus stuff is steel core, and due to the manufacturing quality of it, some of the steel cores are not perfectly centered in the bullet. Good stuff for the price though.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I think it is one of the best buys out there.. I'm into war relics opposed to sporting type firearms because the government has a separate category for them and sees them more as collector pieces... I am considering getting a Henry lever action .44 magnum for use in the wooded area where I live... We have a lot of deer on the place when the wild hogs don't run them off... I'm old and have trouble getting around so I need something lighter and shorter than my Garand... The .44 magnum Henry would be the first new rifle I've ever bought that wasn't a .22. If I lived on the High Plains where you can see for miles a Mosin Nagant like the way yours is set up would be ideal.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by oldshooter1979
reply to post by kadyr80

What you have done looks great, I enjoy shooting my 1913 new england westinghouse mosin nagant. I would not blue the bolt, it may cause problems down the road..

Westinghouse... Very cool.

I had a Remmington many moons ago.

The cases of Russian ammo we had were ancient and said the round was effective
for antiaircraft fire out to 2300 meters.

edit on 10-5-2011 by Version100 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Version100

The NRA was given the American made Mosin Nagants not shipped to the Czar to auction off I believe in the 1930s for $3.00 a piece for members... Owning one of those would be like owning a Canadian made Browning High Power made for the Chinese by John D. Englis during WW2... It's a cool pistol with a shoulder stock/ holster and rifle sights but is made on the inch scale instead of metric so the parts from the Belgium made High Powers won't interchange.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

i just got one and am trying to find an orignal stock(yeah good luck) for my 1919 Remington mosin that has no serial numbers the mark of the czar and if im not mistaken what looks like polar bear on the receiver i got it for a 100 but from what ive seen its worth a bit more but am abit outa my legue here

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG

i just got one and am trying to find an orignal stock(yeah good luck) for my 1919 Remington mosin that has no serial numbers the mark of the czar and if im not mistaken what looks like polar bear on the receiver i got it for a 100 but from what ive seen its worth a bit more but am abit outa my legue here

You're sure to find it.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by zirazira

yeah im hoping so its atualy 1917 no serial numbers just the No part and every thing but the stock has the remmington brand on it in a circle and then teh roman numeral 2 once i find my camera ill try to upload some photos but its pretty accurate barrel looks clean not much pitting just some donky drilled holes through one of the russian crests and addes his own sights

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Wow, I wasn't aware there were any American made versions!! You learn something new every day!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join