It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Mosin Nagant Conversion Project

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Hey guys,

I've been working on my Nagant recently, amongst other things, and I pieced it together the other night to see how it will look in all its new sniper style updates. I noticed a few other posts about Nagants and whether or not to get one, so I thought I'd share mine. I had wanted a remington 700 but it just wasn't in my wallet to get one, so I decided I would build a nagant into as close a replacement as possible. Either way, ill have less than 300 bucks in building mine, which is way better than 1000 plus for a 308 rem. I'm on my mobile so I can't link straight to the new vid, but I can link my yt channel, which will autoplay my new nagant vid. Also, if you check my uploads there are several vids on the previous stages of the nagant and various other gun vids and stuff. Let me know what you guys think, and hopefully it might help some of you decide for or against a nagant!

Link:
www.youtube.com/user/kadyr80

I think its turning out pretty nice, and let me know if you think I should blue the bolt or not too!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
your looks good, but I have one too, and its nothing but junk! All different types of loads swell inside the bore, and take forever to eject.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Hm, that sucks, mine has been good and sweet, and hopefully sweeter once its all back together. Maybe yours is faulty or too used, or maybe your firing pin is out of adjustment?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
That is nice man. A tried and true battle rifle. With a good bore and ammo they can make 1k hits. Let us know how it shoots when you get that scope zeroed.

Deebo

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
your looks good, but I have one too, and its nothing but junk! All different types of loads swell inside the bore, and take forever to eject.

Hmm yours might have been used in more than one world war.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded

You just got a bad one.. The Mosin's are like the ak-47 of bolt actions.. Very tough and reliable weapons.

Deebo

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
i dont know to be honest??? I have tried different manufactured rounds, different makers etc...each time, you fire a round, the casing swells, and you have to wait a bit for it to cool just to eject it. May be right, may be way to used.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

It kind of sounds like your firing pin is protruding too far and piercing the primer. This is very dangerous as the nagant has no gas port which makes the explosion come rearward, which can actually cause receivers to explode and possibly kill the user. Definitely check your firing pin protrusion,you can find how tos on youtube. Also check that your barrel is true. Nagants really are good old guns when kept up properly.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

Nah, i have better weapons to play with. it sits now in the corner of a storage facility.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I've got some Mosin Nagant love!

I've got a pretty old one, I got it from my grandfather about 10 years ago, who had it probably another 30 years at least I would guess. I've been trying to figure out what specific model it is, but it's been remanned so all it's bits are cobbled together, which makes things a bit harder.

I can't even count how many rounds I've put through it. I know I've gone through 3 cans of bulk ammo and countless packs of Wolf. Barely had any problems. I've had some dud rounds, which obviously isn't the fault of the Mosin, After a lot of firing it gets REALLY hard to slide the bolt into battery, but nothing a good cleaning doesn't solve. Never had one problem with extraction or ejection though.

For being as old as it is, I'm definitely very impressed with it. I've been wanting to get a new stock to modernize it a bit, but being handed down from a family member I kind of have an emotional attachment to the way it is right now.

Your Mosin looks very nice, considering how cheap they are I should just pick up another one and put an ATI on it. You notice (depending on where you're shooting) once you pop off a round everyone else seems to stop firing and look over at you?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Quick question? Is rebuilding the nagant, a costly ordeal? now that I think about it, it might be fun to take it down and rebuild it. But not if its gonna cost me more than that ol beater worth.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Not too costly at all. I have more money in my custom ruger 10/22.

The ati stock can be for between 45 and 60 dollars, and the bolt handle and scope rail kit are between 35 and 45 dollars depending on where you buy them. Google shopping results are your best friend here. The rest is just labor. I don't like the bolt and rail kit all that much, and I'm modifying the directions a bit because I want this thing to last. But all in all, with the barska long range scope and everything, I will have less than 300 bucks in it.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

Even if you hot blue the bolt, eventually the bluing will wear from use. I'd say leave it in the white and keep it clean.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
reply to post by kadyr80

Even if you hot blue the bolt, eventually the bluing will wear from use. I'd say leave it in the white and keep it clean.

Yup, just leave it in white might be great.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rising

You guys are probably right. Ill probably leave it polished steel.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kadyr80
reply to post by rising

You guys are probably right. Ill probably leave it polished steel.

So you currently have just a regular steel bolt handle?

If so, you could get a stainless bolt handle, much easier to keep clean and shiny! Pretty cheap too.

Stainless Bolt Handle
edit on 25-3-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

It looks like the SS bolt handle would require a drill press and a vise to fit it, at least. Does it provide more scope clearance than the original?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

I should update my project soon. Firstly, I suppose my bolt handle may be polished stainless, but it doesn't feel like stainless. Feels more like chromed steel.
Second, the bolt handle did require a drillpress and vise, as does the scope rail.
I epoxy bedded both with j b weld and added loctite to the screw threads.
Third, the handle provides plenty of clearance to the rail and scope, and I have yet to bump my hand on anything.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

What you have done looks great, I enjoy shooting my 1913 new england westinghouse mosin nagant. I would not blue the bolt, it may cause problems down the road..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join