It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Qatar has designed a "Remote-Controlled Cloud" to provide shade for fans and players at the 2022 W

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Qatar has designed a "Remote-Controlled Cloud" to provide shade for fans and players at the 2022 World Cup

www.thepostgame.com

Based on the design shown in local Qatari news outlets, the cloud isn't white and fluffy. It is flat and rectangular, resembling a giant cell phone, and will be built using light carbonic materials. Perhaps something was lost in translation from Arabic because the invention is more spaceship than cloud, but ultimately players and fans will benefit from the shade.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Wow.. That's all I can say. I put this into your hands ATS to do with it what you do best. It's amazing the technology we can produce these days (or maybe...reverse-engineer?). Has anyone else seen this type of tech anywhere else in the news? If Qatar has it, I'm sure the US Military has something simular.

www.thepostgame.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I'm not surprised .. just see the stadiums

edit on 23-3-2011 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
i wish i had one of those
2nd
edit on 23-3-2011 by icecold7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Those stadiums are amazing!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Wow Those stadiums are epic. Just Epic.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I wouldn't have thought this technology would be mind blowing, it will probably turn out to be a new spin on an old tech.. Could be similar to a blimp that they can control to cover the sun.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Hovering sunshade seems a more appropriate description than "cloud" considering the actual definition of a cloud. After reading the title I imagined a hovering fan equipped with some sort of water vapor particle producer/gatherer.

Pretty cool though. Not a bad way to spend $500K.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GLantern101

Of course the U.S. Government has something similar. It doesn't block the sun but the U.S. has some futuristic uav programs. This big "cloud" is just a big solar powered uav.

The head of mechanical and industrial engineering at Qatar University said the cloud would be positioned by remote control and run on solar power.

If you look up Boeings SolarEagle project you will see that solar powered uavs that can fly for long periods of time being are being developed for our military to use. The government is spending millions of dollars on this idea for future spy auvs that can stay up in the air for years at a time. Here is a link to a post about the SolarEagle Project www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Wow,a big ol' flying "slab" to block out the hot sun for the games!

Cool idea,like the solar panels-wouldn't it be cool if it had some form of mister incorporated so it could give the folks a nice rain shower from time to time?

Or lets make one 1000 times bigger and put a load of houses on top!
I'm sure they could scale that puppy up,and ram enough solar panels on their to lift a mini city.

Nice innovation by those dudes...Shame it takes so much money or I would have built my own undersea,tidal powered community by now...Oh well.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
They are truly awe inspiring. It's a shame they're being ripped down straight after the games. It's going to a good cause though so ah well.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It is no wonder there is so much protest in that region. The governments show such huge displays of wealth yet the people live like peasants. I hope those stadiums never see the light of day.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
It is no wonder there is so much protest in that region. The governments show such huge displays of wealth yet the people live like peasants. I hope those stadiums never see the light of day.

Live like peasants ? hahahahhaha ....
Majority of Americans will die for living like people from Qatar ...while you are watching CNN,FOX,MSNBC american dream is becoming nightmare

Qatar

GDP per capita $101,000
Unemployment 0.6%

And some social services

The Department of Social Affairs As part of the Ministry of Civil Service Affairs and Housing, the Department of Social Affairs is responsible for providing social care services for citizens and applying Social Security Law. The Social Security law stipulates paying monthly allowances to widows, divorcees, orphans and the special needs who have no providers. The Qatari Institution For Elderly Persons' Care The Qatari Institution for Elderly Persons' Care is a private institution with a recognized independent identity and it enjoys full autonomy and its headquarters is in Doha city. Details>> Housing Services The Ministry of Civil Service Affairs and Housing provides affordable housing for citizens with limited income and the aged and grants furnishing allowance for beneficiaries. The Women's Affairs Department The Women's Affairs Department is composed of Maternity and Childhood Section, Women's Programs and Activities Section and Women's Development Section, in addition to Women's Training and Rehabilitation Center, which organizes training courses to upgrade women's skills in their fields of interest.

www.qatarembassy.net...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Erm. HAARP???

Thanks to anon72 for this thread: European Parliament issues warnings on HAARP.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000

Originally posted by Cuervo

Live like peasants ? hahahahhaha ....
Majority of Americans will die for living like people from Qatar ...while you are watching CNN,FOX,MSNBC american dream is becoming nightmare

Qatar

GDP per capita $101,000
Unemployment 0.6%

And some social services

The Department of Social Affairs As part of the Ministry of Civil Service Affairs and Housing, the Department of Social Affairs is responsible for providing social care services for citizens and applying Social Security Law. The Social Security law stipulates paying monthly allowances to widows, divorcees, orphans and the special needs who have no providers. The Qatari Institution For Elderly Persons' Care The Qatari Institution for Elderly Persons' Care is a private institution with a recognized independent identity and it enjoys full autonomy and its headquarters is in Doha city. Details>> Housing Services The Ministry of Civil Service Affairs and Housing provides affordable housing for citizens with limited income and the aged and grants furnishing allowance for beneficiaries. The Women's Affairs Department The Women's Affairs Department is composed of Maternity and Childhood Section, Women's Programs and Activities Section and Women's Development Section, in addition to Women's Training and Rehabilitation Center, which organizes training courses to upgrade women's skills in their fields of interest.

www.qatarembassy.net...

Yeah, you are right. To throw all of the region's nations into one pile is unfair of me. Having model nations in the midst of so much chaos only serves to cause more frustration for their unhappy neighbors. Thanks for the perspective check.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Shhh!! don't tell the spongers!
Darn its too late.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Seems dangerous to have hovering over a stadium. I wonder what possible failsafe could be built into that? And could it survive a stiff breeze without blowing horribly off-kilter?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
dude all they need to do is get some of those "planes" to fly by
theyll make lots of shade

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Very cool. And what a deal for only $500,000. We all know at the end costs will blossom to $2,000,000.

Scary thing what I can imagine what police and military can do with this platform.

top topics

join