It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Person Shooters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I wasn't sure where to put this thread but ended up in the Video Game forum instead of Rant even though it's a rant about video games

I really enjoy a good FPS but it seems that the trend in the last few years is to give you a quick single player campaign and really focus most of the games design on the multiplayer aspect. The issue for me is that I hate multiplayer FPS.

With that being said i'm not suggesting doing anything different with multiplayer because I know it's very popular but give the people who love the single player campaign modes more for the $60 we are paying for a game.

Disclaimer: I play MMO's for multiplayer but mostly solo in those anyway so maybe i'm just a hermit at heart

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Try America's Army - while its got it's multiplayer aspect it also has a lot of 'training' and single player gameplay, and it's completely free!!

I think it's up to America's Army 3 currently.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

I have been playing army of 2 with my buddy and its a very cool game.
I also hate the games that only offer single player so I specifically asked for the best one that I can play with my buddy.
Even in solo mode the game is very fun and hasn't dissapointed me yet.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Multiplayer games can be tricky as most of the multiplayer lovers are kinda addicted to the game they are playing, thus creating a small elite group that 'dominates' the game, making it impossible for newbies to enjoy playing it for they either keep dying (CS, TF2 etc.) or are just put down by those who are "better" (MMO's like WoW for example). So multiplayer is a system that generates elitist and addicted players that will usually make no effort in improving the community environment they are part of, instead, they will attempt to depredate any newbies that try to join the community in a peaceful manner. Also, a downgrading factor for FPS games nowaydays in my opinion is that they are based almost entirely in aiming skills solely or, if not, they are just too much team-dependant, so you end up either being stuck with a sucky team or with a super pro team that will eventually kicking you off for being a "noob", or if the poblem isn't the team, then it is the aim that is usually not accurate at all. So, bottom line: if you have a good aim, then you will have endless fun times playing the game, if you don't then you better just switch off to any other game that can be solo playable or to any casual-gaming MMO such as LOTRO...
edit on 23-3-2011 by kromaion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I loved Bioshock because it had a great single player campaign and the storyline was unique. It is also quite large. I'm not a fan of multi-player either.

IRM

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Dead Space 2.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Grab Deus Ex off an online store or Steam.

First Person FPS/RPG, actually one of the first hybrids. It's pretty dated being from 2000/2001, but it has a wonderful plot with a huge conspiracy slant featuring the MJ-12, Transhumanist musings, forced disasters, and so forth....

I'm actually replaying it, and the less stellar second one before the third game, Human Revolution, comes out this summer.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

I haven't played Dead Space 2. Is the single player campaign good and worth the money?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SweetRevenge

I was looking into Crysis 2 that just came out this week and really liked the 1st one but upon reading reviews a lot were saying things like "Short single player campaign but great multiplayer" and that turned me off right there. I picked up Homefront last week and it's okay but nothing great so far.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kromaion

I partly disagree with you logic. Once you learn one FPS on a particular platform (xbox, ps, pc), you have learned them all. E.g. if I become really good at COD4 on xbox, i can easily pick up a game like halo. I will just take a few weeks to learn the maps and tricks. Thats where the majority of the fun comes in anyway... the challenge. Just make sure your controller configuration is laid out according to what you are accustom. If you suck, you suck... period.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SweetRevenge
Grab Deus Ex off an online store or Steam.

Deus Ex was the bomb at the time. A classic to be sure!

IRM

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
One area that I think FPS's have declined over the years is level design. Sure the graphics are pretty but...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

Dead Space 2 campaign is really good, but to me doesnt compare to the BulletStorm campaign!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Need to play ARMA 2 series, IMO best game ever.you can play solo or multi or even make your on missions and download other player mission.

edit on 23-3-2011 by Oklastatefan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Oklastatefan

wow, that looks very good. I'm surprised I hadn't heard about it before today.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Far cry 2 is one of the best FPS i've ever played.

stunning graphics, great physics engine, smart AI, 100 square kilometer free roam map, and over 40 hours of game play...well worth it (you can play however you want too). Probably pretty cheap now too

dead space 2 is worth it as well, so was part 1, so go with that first
edit on 23-3-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
man i went back and got my older brothers old Pc out and played doom, quake, rise of the triad, duke nukem, wolfenstein, etc so i could see what all the fuss was about, those old games had a lot of fun and action, even if the graphics were a little bit slow, i thought they were all as good as any of the new ones, the campaigns were way better. but all the real action is in multiplayer arenas (haven't yet tried to "death match" in doom, need more players her on this campus into older games!)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I'm going out on a limb here..

I've played many many many FPS games.. As far as overall "played" time and the amount of fun I had playing the game I would have to vote for none other than:

PERFECT DARK for the Nintendo 64... That's right I said it.

Perfect Dark Wikipedia
edit on 8-4-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I ended up getting Crysis2 for my PS3 and i'm really enjoying it so far. I like running around in NYC.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

My favorite game of all time right now is Battlefield Bad Company 2. The single player is ok, but the multiplayer is where it is at. The maps are insanely huge and its 12 vs 12. It's just amazing.

top topics

join