It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Beautiful EcoSystem, Jellyfish Lakes And other Jellies. Whats yours favorite?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I seen a thread earlier about jellyfish washing up. That is very sad for these ancient animals that have been here billions of years. And that made me think about this awesome ecosystem with these kool creatures.

Jellyfish Lake is a marine lake on an island called Eil Malk.
Palau's Jellyfish Lake holds millions of golden jellyfish, Mastigias sp. which inhabit this lake. Of course these beauties are totally harmless. You can literally swim with them.

Wiki Link

Link

in a silent world the color of milky green tea, I am enveloped by an undulating horde of 10 million jellyfish, some the size of cantaloupes, others the size of apples and a few no bigger than blueberries. All dance the two-step jelly ballet: pulse in, pulse out; pulse in, pulse out. Their simple rhythm is as soothing and vital as a heartbeat.

These jellies are found only in this 12-acre pocket of seawater. Known to tourists as Jellyfish Lake and to locals as Ongeim'l Tketau, it is one of about 70 marine, or saltwater, lakes in the Republic of Palau, an island nation 550 miles east of the Philippines. Though the lakes remain connected to the sea through fissures in the islands' porous limestone, they are shielded from wind and wave by high ridges covered in exuberant foliage. Sounds of the sea are muted by the music of the jungle: buzzing insects, chattering fairy terns, the eerie coo of the Micronesian pigeon. The sky is crisscrossed by fruit bats the size of hawks.

Palau's sheltered marine lakes are tiny seas imprisoned in terra firma. Five of the lakes contain unique jellyfish, each varying from its neighbors and their common ancestor in a dramatic example of the origin of species. Charles Darwin, of course, used island residents as models of his revolutionary theory. One species of bird, isolated on bits of land surrounded by water, radiated into a remarkable variety of new forms. The same forces work on marine species isolated in bits of water surrounded by land. If Darwin had stepped ashore in Palau instead of the Galapagos, the icon of evolution might be not Darwin's finches, but Darwin's jellyfishes.

Heres some pictures of these kool ancient animals.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/72d1098fe85b.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ea92e4e910d3.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/031de4e4f735.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/34d4e97f868d.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0b4c60673035.jpg[/atsimg]

Now there are other kool awesome jellies, these are the toxic ones like the Man O War, the large box jelly and the small box jellies found in Australia.

These box jellies are small but pack a bullet lol
And its even said that the smaller, tiny sp. is the most toxic.

Heres some picture of these deadly ancient creature.

The larger Box jelly sp.

The smaller deadly box sp.

And heres the kool exotic looking ancient jelly. The Man O war jelly.

Here is another kool ancient none other Lions Main jelly, which can be found very deep.

Let me know your thoughts and whats your favorite ecosystem or jellyfish.
Thanx. VV6

Adding edit

edit on 22-3-2011 by VenomVile.6 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by VenomVile.6

Man O War,is the coolest looking jellyfish,you should post up the locations..

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by R3MYxISxBRUTAL

Yeah, man o war comes in many shapes/forms and shades of lavender. O'ways been one of my faves

Thanx

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Thanks for the amazing find!! I myself love and have an absolute fascination with transparent animals, fish, and insects. Check out the transparent treefrog, headfish, icefish, and especially Transparent jellyfish!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
The box jellies look beautiful. The first batch that are safe to swim with would be my favorites only because I could swim with them safely. Otherwise, they aren't much to look at though I bet I would appreciate them in person.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

These are the pics from my other thread of the Man' o" War that wash ashore on my beach in TX

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e5e5e6ceddb5.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e3cafe9e218f.jpg[/atsimg]

I think these were baby jellyfish, they were everywhere as well
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3ebc60ae1cf7.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3988c67a9c05.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bc07fa43eb7e.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/113624d6e1a8.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Im going to go with the Nomura's Jellyfish or Nemopilema nomurai

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by syncelebrity

Im an arachno-culturist, I collect rare tarantulas and scorpions

one kool spider is the smiley face spider aka Theridion grallator

And heres a badaz scropion Black tail scorp Androctonus sp. Bicolor they come in a few kool colors.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ced70ee8bfb1.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by spydrbyte25

Wheres the pic's man

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SirKnightE

Yeah, this thread was because of that and all the other reports
Thanx for the add, *** Star ***

Add: those were not babies, thats as big as they get, maybe sub-adults mixed in there. Baby man o wars u wouldnt be able to see.
edit on 22-3-2011 by VenomVile.6 because: (no reason given)

Also to add my prize spider is Encyocratella olivacea‎, no common name. I have 1 of only about 5 breeders in the US.

edit on 22-3-2011 by VenomVile.6 because: adding

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I'm a cowardly arachnophobe who has had the dubious fortune of surviving a nasty brown recluse bite...the (brown recluse is not native to my region but arrived in a shipment of stuff from either EBay or Amazon .com.) but even I appreciate that smiley faced spider. What a beauty! I can't believe I'm starring a post of pictures of Arachnids. The Apocalypse really must be near!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

Okay now I KNOW the world is about to end...I think your prize fuzzy brown spider is adorable. I like the two eyes that look crossed on top of his/her? head. Is it poisonous to humans? What does it eat? Does it have irritating hairs or can you pick it up?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I also like rare herps, aka reptiles. I have a purple albino tiger reticulated python... very rare !
you'll never guess how much I paid for a hatchling snake for..? lol go look em up on price

Oh, I dont have a pic saved of that here but on my facebook I do, but I have my albino atrox in my photo album.

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain

I'm a cowardly arachnophobe who has had the dubious fortune of surviving a nasty brown recluse bite...the (brown recluse is not native to my region but arrived in a shipment of stuff from either EBay or Amazon .com.) but even I appreciate that smiley faced spider. What a beauty! I can't believe I'm starring a post of pictures of Arachnids. The Apocalypse really must be near!

I catch them every now and then, they only have a value of about 5bux. Not much for my tasts lol

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

Okay now I KNOW the world is about to end...I think your prize fuzzy brown spider is adorable. I like the two eyes that look crossed on top of his/her? head. Is it poisonous to humans? What does it eat? Does it have irritating hairs or can you pick it up?

Not venomus, no hairs thats tarantulas. Eats bugs like any arachnid.

Fun fact:
A spemithica is what a taranula stores a males reprodution fluids. Normal T's lose their spemithica's stored suply after a shed.
My Olive tarantula is the only tarantula that can reproduce after each shed, only true spiders can save after a shed.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Heres another T I have a Pocie Metallica

P.S Its not recommended to hold T's. They are not pets, they are for collection only.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
you forgot the eternal medusa man! cool spider

Despite science’s best efforts to understand and prevent aging (and society’s own obsession with youthfulness!), it turns out that a simple jellyfish species, Turritopsis nutricula, has had it figured out.. Appearing as a dime sized parachute, Turritopsis nutricula, or the “immortal jellyfish,” is able to revert back to its immature polyp state after reaching sexual maturity in response to adverse conditions… indefinitely. It is the only known metazoan (multicellular organism) capable of doing this, through a process called cell transdifferentiation.

A mature Turritopsis nutricula medusa agelessly swimming about

buquad.com...

edit on 23-3-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Re- Rustami

Nice * for you.
About the jelly you posted
Can you give me a little on their biology and where theyre native too, for me and other readers?

The medusa spider Is a relitive of the widow species, aka Latrodectus sp. kool full latin Latrodectus regina
Thanx

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

sure

the jellious eternal medusa is relative to the creation and is native to watery livers on planet earth somewhere to be found by link provided or the internet using certain biological key names

sorry I could'nt resist attempting a little humour plus I did'nt get enough sleep last night and I did add link and s'more info through edit (it was missing first round-my bad)
edit on 23-3-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

Oh duh, I missed that. The small jellyfish
Im not really into Ulmaridae's that much

Im more of an arachnid dude, I got spider web tatts all over lol
edit on 23-3-2011 by VenomVile.6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I found a kool lil guy, a jelly found in Australia. A Irukandji jellyfish or aka in latin, Carukia barnesi.

This peanut-sized, translucent Irukandji jellyfish found off far north Queensland was thought to be little more than a painful irritant. The verdict puzzled experts who knew the box jellyfish's venom could trigger the so-called Irukandji syndrome, causing excruciating back pain, sweating, and nausea, but not death. Called Irukandji syndrom.

Wiki Link

Peanut sized death. A box jellyfish:

Irukandji jellyfish--is one of about 15 box jellyfish known in Australia and 24 globally. This genus are amongst the worlds deadliest of the jellies.

....It is just amazing that this creature, that is supposedly evolved from the sea anemone....
It is just sad how we for get about the smallest of animals. We need to be more aware that these awesome creatures that are so sensitive to what we do and force apon our planet. Dont you think?
** and no, Im not a hippie***

Heres a kool vid to watch.

I would still like to hear some thoughts and opinions on to whats your guyses favorite creatures.?
Thanx amuch, VV6

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join