It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Orion Moon Craft Unveiled at New Spaceflight Facility!! (Cool)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Is this the future of manned missions into deep space?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b0f1d2a88bf0.jpg[/atsimg]

Lockheed Martin on Tuesday unveiled the first Orion spacecraft, a part of what NASA had planned as the sprawlingly ambitious Constellation project that would offer a replacement for the space shuttle -- and a means to ferry humans into outer space and back to the moon.

Orion and the companion Ares heavy-lift rocket were part of Constellation, a program cancelled under President Barack Obama's 2011 budget proposal. Instead Obama urged NASA to work toward sending humans to an asteroid and then on to Mars. Reports indicated NASA intended Orion to be merely a crew-escape vehicle.But NASA and Lockheed Martin had other plans for the project, and pushed ahead on the Orion space capsule despite their ambiguous status. Tuesday Lockheed Martin showed off the fruits of its labor -- and it's far more ambitious than a crew-rescue ship.

“Our nation’s next bold step in exploration could begin by 2016,” said John Karas, vice president and general manager for Lockheed Martin’s Human Space Flight programs. “Orion was designed from inception to fly multiple, deep-space missions. The spacecraft is an incredibly robust, technically advanced vehicle capable of safely transporting humans to asteroids, Lagrange Points and other deep space destinations that will put us on an affordable and sustainable path to Mars.”

Orion includes a module for crew and cargo, a service module for propulsion, electrical power and other requirements, and a launch-abort system to carry the capsule to safety if the booster rocket fails. NASA successfully tested the launch-abort system two weeks ago at White Sands Missile Range, N.M.

Source: www.foxnews.com...#
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/76d9ffbd8257.jpg[/atsimg]
Artist's impression of NASA's new Orion capsule. Image: NASA.

How cool is this/that? !!! Well lets get this puppy working-FAST.

Maybe a little hope is yet alive in the NASA program for something bigger than we all know and understand-currently.

Lets chat!
edit on 3/22/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/22/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
How will we get it into space since our funding was cut for that, can Russia take that thing up?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by dc2009

They were a little vague on that topic of interest. Good point picking that up.

At this point, I would have to say it would be a global effort, so yet, Russia-for BIG $$$$

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

The angles sure make it look like a large Apollo capsule, I know that it is just a cosmetic similarity.

Now for my question. What do they use to land on the moon?

Don't tell me they are just going up to orbit. We did that in 1968, didn't we?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
So basically they are saying all these UFOs millions of people have been seeing and filming are actually aliens visiting Earth?
I was assuming they are 98% military and/or privately funded advanced technology craft being used and/or tested out. So by showing us all this nonsense Flintstones archaeology technology, they are admitting that they have NO KNOWLEDGE of any of these bright craft in our skies around the world. Sooo, that must mean that all of them are aliens in these craft, yes?

I'm so sick of the lies and the BS peddled out to us, but it happens to work on the gullible and simple minded masses so they will continue leading us on thinking this is as far as we are with technology, so they can hoard the stuff that'll free us all from fossil fuels and slavery to the elite.
Enjoy the kool-aid.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

well said.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

im not sure how it would land the only thing i can assume is the international space station.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
i don't get it. they ALREADY 'sent' people to the moon. those space ships worked, 'didnt they?'

so why not just use the 'working' designs? ha.

but seriously, i LOVE space ships, and even tho its green, this thing is way cool! i do not think we should be spending money on crap like this during a depression, but its cool!

thanks for the link!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
So basically they are saying all these UFOs millions of people have been seeing and filming are actually aliens visiting Earth?
I was assuming they are 98% military and/or privately funded advanced technology craft being used and/or tested out. So by showing us all this nonsense Flintstones archaeology technology, they are admitting that they have NO KNOWLEDGE of any of these bright craft in our skies around the world. Sooo, that must mean that all of them are aliens in these craft, yes?

I'm so sick of the lies and the BS peddled out to us, but it happens to work on the gullible and simple minded masses so they will continue leading us on thinking this is as far as we are with technology, so they can hoard the stuff that'll free us all from fossil fuels and slavery to the elite.
Enjoy the kool-aid.
There have been credible ufo cases for 60 years. You're the one that needs to get off the kool-aid and come back to reality. We couldn't do it 60 years ago and we can't do it today. So there're only a couple conclusions. The UFOs are either enemies practicing advanced technology or they're aliens from another world. It's hard to come to any other conclusion since there're literally tens of thousands of reports from pilots and police officers and professionals from around the world. The reason blue book and other programs labeled cases UNKNOWN is because they could come to no conclusion even after considering everything that's popular and conventional like balloons and ball lighting and inversions and aircraft and blimps and stars and whatever else. There're thousand of UNKNOWN cases across the world and many hundreds or thousands at least in the US alone. The witnesses are credible and the craft they saw cannot be explaiend away in simplistic conventional terms. These cases still sit in our archives and in the minds of the witnesses and we have no explanation. So you give me one better than the one I give you.

I find it very hard to justify that we have had this technology for at least 50 years or more yet sit on it while people die and misery spreads. We're directly responsible for whatever suffering that happens as a result, if this technology you say is locked away, remains so. Since I do not believe we would do that I can only think it's an enemy, perhaps one that's not even publicly known (russia/etc), or alien. The cases are too explicit and detailed to say that the craft is anything other than at least intelligently controlled. The physics of the cases, like the raw speed and stopping on a dime maneuvers, are so obscenely outside explanation that what else can it be other than advanced technology? It's absurd to think the witness made these cases up when you consider there're thousands of them spanning the world for 60 years. We're burying our heads in the sand to ignore these cases and what witnesses have told us!

I am proud that we have achieved what we have. I am happy for NASA. I admire the professionals. But I just cannot give them as much credit as you do. I believe that we couldn't do the things we have observed UFOs doing FOR THE PAST 60 YEARS. Maybe I'm a little bent up today, but you need to stop buying the BS that they're ours and we just sit on it.

You want to know a secret? Humans are capable of so much more, but we don't spend the money where we should. Look at the Orion program in the 50's that hoped to build a pulsed-nuclear proplusion spacecraft. They were saying trips to saturn by the 1970's in only months. They were talking about going to mars in weeks. We could go to the stars in decades. All of this could ahve been done had we invested in it, but the money has, alas, gone elsewhere. Fears of nuclear things plays a role, but the fact that we have tendency to spend elsewhere tells me that space travel is not our top priority. Eventually we will go to space in large numbers, but it will require more time than most believe. Humanity is very accomplished, just not in one thing.
edit on 22-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
So... 50 years since the Apollo Missions.. and this is the best they can come up with? All the technology we have developed in that time frame and we are still stuck with a capsule like the Apollo missions. I believe this is a giant "FAIL" and waste of money.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigshow
So... 50 years since the Apollo Missions.. and this is the best they can come up with? All the technology we have developed in that time frame and we are still stuck with a capsule like the Apollo missions. I believe this is a giant "FAIL" and waste of money.
And your broad thankless dismissal shames humanity.

Traveling in space is not childs play. You really don't know much about it. And a lot of the improvements are underneath. I can't even start to guess, but I'm sure it's a huge improvement.

What's so incredible about the moon landings is it was the worlds biggest PR job in history. It was a battle between the US and the Soviet Union to see who was the big shot. We won after having spent boatloads of money (one could argue the soviets spent more wisely) and then we bailed because we never intended on real science anyway. Real science is hard work and slow and not sensational. So humanity moved on. Meanwhile, we have many tremendous improvements in the sciences and in our knowledge base. Much of it's hard to notice, though. Just makes you wonder why we still use the internal combustion engine after having used it for so long? It's a similar issue to why not much has changed in space. These are huge hurdles and many of the improvements are hard to see without an appropriate level of education.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I was assuming they are 98% military and/or privately funded advanced technology craft being used and/or tested out.

98% are mis-identified and have very mundane explanations. People these days are so ignorant of astronomy that they don't even realize the moon should be seen to "rotate" over the course of the night from rising to setting due to normal field rotation. Knowledge of obstructed or folded optical systems isn't much better, which leads to further mis-identifications of seemingly bizzare "objects" such as the infamous bokehs from the space shuttle tether experiment. There's too little information and evidence on the remainder of sightings to draw any meaningful conclusions.

When I was younger I was very much into the belief that we were being visited and I accepted nearly every major sighting story at face value. As I got into astronomy and space on a deeper level in high school and beyond the problems with the claims and the lack of evidence started becoming more and more evident to me. In fact, it was the various STS-related UFO videos that really showed me I shouldn't accept the claims of the UFO camp without serious critical analysis based on in-depth knowledge. I knew enough to know it was a bunch of hooey, and I realized if the so-called experts on UFOs were wrong about that, what else were they wrong about that I had never bothered to question, either because my knowledge in a different aspect of ufology was insufficient to understand it was hooey, or because I simply wasn't being given the full story? I do think that some tiny percentage of reports *might* be something truly abnormal, but unfortunately the evidence that accompanies that tiny percentage is few and far between with plenty of hoaxes mixed into it. Some members of my family witnessed a silver disc with windows basically buzz their car, and I can't explain that, but it's also not proof of anything. It's just another unsupported anecdote. I believe it because it comes from people I've known my whole life and trust with that life, but I don't expect anyone else to believe it.

Sadly even that belief has been eroded by the sheer number of false identifications and hoaxes I've seen over the years. There's just so much nonsense out there that it wouldn't surprise me at all that NASA and the vast majority of professional astronomers everywhere else truly and honestly do not believe we're being visited by alien life forms, though nearly all of them also believe that life exists in some form on other, perhaps even many, planets. It's perfectly reasonable to come to that conclusion. The Fermi paradox precludes the possibility that we're currently being visited because that's what most astronomers honestly believe, that we're not being visited. It doesn't help convince them otherwise when they see hundreds of youtube videos showing shaky cameras looking at out of focus planets and stars, or ice crystals being blown about by RCS thrusters from the space shuttle.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

So... 50 years since the Apollo Missions.. and this is the best they can come up with? All the technology we have developed in that time frame and we are still stuck with a capsule like the Apollo missions.

Capsules work exceedingly well for trans-lunar re-entries at speeds much higher than what the shuttle could survive. You also save enormous amounts of payload mass by not needing to bring wings and deployable landing gear, which are unused payload for most of the mission. A capsule design is simply more efficient.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

I was assuming they are 98% military and/or privately funded advanced technology craft being used and/or tested out.

98% are mis-identified and have very mundane explanations. People these days are so ignorant of astronomy that they don't even realize the moon should be seen to "rotate" over the course of the night from rising to setting due to normal field rotation. Knowledge of obstructed or folded optical systems isn't much better, which leads to further mis-identifications of seemingly bizzare "objects" such as the infamous bokehs from the space shuttle tether experiment. There's too little information and evidence on the remainder of sightings to draw any meaningful conclusions.

When I was younger I was very much into the belief that we were being visited and I accepted nearly every major sighting story at face value. As I got into astronomy and space on a deeper level in high school and beyond the problems with the claims and the lack of evidence started becoming more and more evident to me. In fact, it was the various STS-related UFO videos that really showed me I shouldn't accept the claims of the UFO camp without serious critical analysis based on in-depth knowledge. I knew enough to know it was a bunch of hooey, and I realized if the so-called experts on UFOs were wrong about that, what else were they wrong about that I had never bothered to question, either because my knowledge in a different aspect of ufology was insufficient to understand it was hooey, or because I simply wasn't being given the full story? I do think that some tiny percentage of reports *might* be something truly abnormal, but unfortunately the evidence that accompanies that tiny percentage is few and far between with plenty of hoaxes mixed into it. Some members of my family witnessed a silver disc with windows basically buzz their car, and I can't explain that, but it's also not proof of anything. It's just another unsupported anecdote. I believe it because it comes from people I've known my whole life and trust with that life, but I don't expect anyone else to believe it.

Sadly even that belief has been eroded by the sheer number of false identifications and hoaxes I've seen over the years. There's just so much nonsense out there that it wouldn't surprise me at all that NASA and the vast majority of professional astronomers everywhere else truly and honestly do not believe we're being visited by alien life forms, though nearly all of them also believe that life exists in some form on other, perhaps even many, planets. It's perfectly reasonable to come to that conclusion. The Fermi paradox precludes the possibility that we're currently being visited because that's what most astronomers honestly believe, that we're not being visited. It doesn't help convince them otherwise when they see hundreds of youtube videos showing shaky cameras looking at out of focus planets and stars, or ice crystals being blown about by RCS thrusters from the space shuttle.
The fact that 80 to 98% of cases are misidentifications of mundane activities has been known for at least 50 years. Before even Blue Book did its investigations. The first thing they would do is hammer out conventional explanations. They never started from the outset assuming that the UFOs were alien, it was just the opposite. Yet, still, even with a drive to explain away everything, we have collected hundreds maybe thousands of UNKNOWNS in the US all by itself. And when you look at these cases what you see is not just little specks of light. No. You have radar hits. You have multiple witnesses. What you find are witnesses describing CRAFT that move in such a way that defies conventional explanation. IN fact, they could not be conventional aircraft. And since the witnesses in these cases tend to be professionals and many of them are trained to identify conventional and military aircraft, it lends credence to the notion that whatever we're seeing defies mundane explanation. I cannot brush away these facts as you so comfortably do. Perhaps you're right and wise about it, but if I have a thousand UNKNOWNS on my desk that could very well be ET craft from another world the last thing I will do is sweep them under the rug and tell everyone everything is polished like a babies butt and just move along.

If you're truly honest and want to challenge yourself start research the blue book case files. Start reading the witness reports and tell me how an educated qualified individual can correctly describe a craft that they can clearly (enough) see in the sky (day/night) and describe its shape and affect on the surrounding environment and yet this thing hovers SILENTLY and zooms away at mind numbing speeds that defy everything you were taught in school. THIS IS THE REAL REASON WE HAVE NO EXPLANATION. It's the reason so many people sit on it.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

So... 50 years since the Apollo Missions.. and this is the best they can come up with? All the technology we have developed in that time frame and we are still stuck with a capsule like the Apollo missions.

Capsules work exceedingly well for trans-lunar re-entries at speeds much higher than what the shuttle could survive. You also save enormous amounts of payload mass by not needing to bring wings and deployable landing gear, which are unused payload for most of the mission. A capsule design is simply more efficient.
Logical.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
The fact that 80 to 98% of cases are misidentifications of mundane activities has been known for at least 50 years. Before even Blue Book did its investigations. The first thing they would do is hammer out conventional explanations. They never started from the outset assuming that the UFOs were alien, it was just the opposite. Yet, still, even with a drive to explain away everything, we have collected hundreds maybe thousands of UNKNOWNS in the US all by itself.

Unknown does not mean alien. My family's sighting would qualify as an unknown, but there is literally nothing you can conclude from it. It could be anything, or it could be nothing at all. It's just anecdotal testimony, that's it. Even if you could go back and get an unidentified radar hit, that's still all you have. Unidentified, may not even be related to what they saw. Period.

Perhaps you're right and wise about it, but if I have a thousand UNKNOWNS on my desk that could very well be ET craft from another world the last thing I will do is sweep them under the rug and tell everyone everything is polished like a babies butt and just move along.

I don't appreciate your attitude towards me and I really don't think it's called for. If you have a thousand unknowns that constitute only say 5% of your original sample size then right away that should be a red flag that you should be very critical of the remaining 5%. Statistically unlikely events are still normal events, and if you increase your sample size enough you will get many statistically unlikely events within those samples. If you pool just the unlikely events together and ignore the rest then naturally it will look like there's something abnormal going on. Each event must be looked at extremely skeptically and evidence must be demanded. It's not enough to say that something is unknown.

Start reading the witness reports

I already have a witness report I trust as described. That's not proof of a claim of this incredible nature. Furthermore I do not automatically trust someone just because they're educated. Educated people also think the STS videos show alien spaceships instead of bokehs. Furthermore there are so many hoaxes and outright lies mixed into the field that you can't just trust someone on their word, even if there's no apparent motive for them to lie.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I love seeing stuff like this, seeing the vehicles that mankind will use to venture into space and propel us further as a species, wait immense anticipation to see it on its voyages.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Paging Captain Kirk... your starship is nearing completion. Oh, and about those 2-billion Earth-like planets in the Milky Way galaxy, well... forget about it. You get to patrol 2-billion lousy rocks in the asteroid belt.

Rockets and capsuls...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Cool Anon72.

Does anyone know if they ever got that minor parachute anomaly sorted out?

I certainly hope so...............

edit on 22-3-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Holy crap on a stick with salt and pepper, this whole thread has been hijacked by fluoride heads and paid dis-info agents! The world you think you know is an illusion, mmmkay? You will know this when you know it, not when someone warns you 1000s of times, not when you hear of others' tragedies, not when you even see it on the TV box god around your thrown of worship entertainment setups... you'll learn it when it comes knocking at your doors.

Until then, enjoy your dreams, especially the American dream, the one you have to be asleep to believe in.
There are private sources of funding for technology that is NOT shared with governments, in fact there are more people in this world who can buy and sell whole countries than there are countries in existence. If you believe otherwise, have fun with that. No skin off my chestnuts.

NASA is not your friend, JPL is not your friend, all governments are not your friends, and ALL of them do not do things the way you would do them. You can wake up now, or later, or never, I don't care.... not in the slightest. All I do is give away free maps, if you want to find what you're looking for without a decent map, again... have fun with that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join