It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead Squirrles all over Denver. Wondering if anyone else in other cities are noticing the same thing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I'm a newbie and can only post in the Introductions forum. Please feel free to move this post to wherever appropriate.
Anyway, this morning during my usual Sunday church going and then shopping, I noticed an excess of road kill. Mostly squirrels I believe. I wouldn't have thought anything of it until I logged into facebook and have a handfull of other friends and family members complaining about the same thing. There isn't anything in the news about it. Probably too soon. We've had mild weather for a good 2 weeks now. Nothing out of the ordinary. I'm just wondering what it could be??? And also if anyone else in other cities are noticing it.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ampar84

i did notice Colorado had higher then normal radiation.. over the last few days..

www.blackcatsystems.com...

just a thought

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Maybe squirrels were getting into people attics and making lots of noise, so a farmer or some other pissed off neighbor took matters into their own hands and put out a batch of poison, which ended up killing more than he expected.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ampar84
I'm a newbie and can only post in the Introductions forum. Please feel free to move this post to wherever appropriate.
Anyway, this morning during my usual Sunday church going and then shopping, I noticed an excess of road kill. Mostly squirrels I believe. I wouldn't have thought anything of it until I logged into facebook and have a handfull of other friends and family members complaining about the same thing. There isn't anything in the news about it. Probably too soon. We've had mild weather for a good 2 weeks now. Nothing out of the ordinary. I'm just wondering what it could be??? And also if anyone else in other cities are noticing it.

Hello Ampar84,

An increase of dead squirrels is most likely related to recent sales of pellet guns in your neighborhood. I suggest you examine some of the carcasses for signs of small caliber penetrating wounds.

edit on 20-3-2011 by whatwasthat because: spelling

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Alot of dead skunks in the road where I live, nothing unusual for this time of year as they risk their neck to cross the road to find a mate

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
Wonder if it's another Bubonic Plague outbreak?

Bubonic Plague Found In Denver Squirrel
Five New Animals Test Positive For Plague
Another Squirrel Found With Bubonic Plague

That was my first thought, bubonic plague. It's still around and it has frequent outbreaks amongst rodents in the west. Beware of dead squirrels (most notably the fleas on them, escaping the now cold body).

P.S. Also it is starting to be breeding season where they choose their mates. They get all 'twitterpated' and crazy and are much more likely to be hit by cars.
edit on 3/20/2011 by czygyny because: remembered an important fact

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I wouldn't be too alarmed if they are by the sides of the road. If however you notice alot dead else where then it might be a concern. It is spring and mating season so they are more active now.

Remeber when West Nile was the Virus d'jour? Authorites were asking people to look out for dead birds but specifically stated not the ones by the sides of roads.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Or it could be spring and the young squirrels are leaving to find new homes while all of them have to travel farther to find food and mates.
No conspiracy in all likelihood.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Well I live in South Eastern Kentucky, I live miles and miles and miles from anything that could be considered civilization...

Let me tell you... Squirrels are frickin idiots... just yesterday I saw a fat gray squirrel in the road... I slowed down and as I got closer it started... as it looked to me... dancing... it was kinda funny to watch... it didnt know which way to go... towards my tires or off the road to safety... i slowed down even more and rolled down my window and screamed at it... cos I'm a crazy Hillbilly that talks to animals... it decided it didnt want to commit suicide and ran off the road... that happens a lot...

...didnt feel right to run it over... might have to can it later on down the road if The SHTF... if it's heart still beats... no need in preserving it

...also let me retract that frickin idiot commit... if i was a squirrel I would have probably already been ran over... I can only imagine what they think a car is.... Kinda like ancient man and aliens.... describing space ships to chariots...

Let us always keep a watchful eye out for our animal friends... never know when you might HAVE to eat them to survive... no use in killing them all just yet

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Let's the scientist explain away this event. I've never heard of a mass of dead squirrels. Scientist say it is normal for birds and fish. I wish someone would try to explain away a mass die off of squirrels! New madrid fault is a skip and a jump away from erupting...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvolEric
Well I live in South Eastern Kentucky, I live miles and miles and miles from anything that could be considered civilization...

Let me tell you... Squirrels are frickin idiots... just yesterday I saw a fat gray squirrel in the road... I slowed down and as I got closer it started... as it looked to me... dancing... it was kinda funny to watch... it didnt know which way to go... towards my tires or off the road to safety... i slowed down even more and rolled down my window and screamed at it... cos I'm a crazy Hillbilly that talks to animals... it decided it didnt want to commit suicide and ran off the road... that happens a lot...

...didnt feel right to run it over... might have to can it later on down the road if The SHTF... if it's heart still beats... no need in preserving it

...also let me retract that frickin idiot commit... if i was a squirrel I would have probably already been ran over... I can only imagine what they think a car is.... Kinda like ancient man and aliens.... describing space ships to chariots...

Let us always keep a watchful eye out for our animal friends... never know when you might HAVE to eat them to survive... no use in killing them all just yet

Hilarious!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Ive heard the more urban squirrels are often gangsters and frequently have turf wars. it is possible thats what the op is seeing in denver. Anyways just stay out of the city even the squirrels are nuts.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Nope you are all wrong it was fireworks.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
No dead squirrels around where I live, in fact they seem to be huge I am talking about grey fox squirrels the size of house cats. Buggers keep destroying the bird feeders and hoarding their nuts in places they shouldn't. That being said, there have been an awful amount of dead skunks on the roadside as of late, it must have been a booming breeding season this year.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

edit on 21-3-2011 by whatwasthat because: cx

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
no dead squirrels but I have noticed over the past few weeks a massive amount of dead skunks,I counted at least 30 in a 12 mile stretch from Seminole Oklahoma to Wewoka Oklahoma and that is just the tip of it,I drive all over the state and this is the same everywhere,skunks dead and not from cars hitting them

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Nothing unusual regarding squirrel or bird mortality in FL that I've noticed. My cat keeps hoping to increase their rate of mortality - but she always ends up falling asleep in the sun under the bird feeder.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ampar84

OMG! I told my fiancée I would google it as I have never seen so many dead squirrels in my area. I personally hit one and I believe all of the dead ones I have seen have been hit as well, by cars not guns. It is so freaking weird. When did squirrels get so slow? I am glad we are not the only ones who thought there were so many. now I want to know, why????

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
same here in massachusetts

top topics

join