It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ANOTHER 6+ Earthquake Near Fukushima on the 20th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Given that the Fukushima plant was already compromised, it is most likely that Saturday and Sunday's 6+ quakes inflicted even more damage.

6.1M Earthquake Reported Near Coast Of Honshu, Japan

The quake struck at 7:48 a.m. CST at a depth of 53.1 km.

Relative to other locations, the quake hit 90 km (55 miles) ESE of Morioka, Honshu, Japan, 139 km (86 miles) SSE of Hachinohe, Honshu, Japan, 162 km (100 miles) NE of Sendai, Honshu, Japan, and 458 km (284 miles) NNE of TOKYO, Japan.

Strong earthquake rocks northeastern Japan

The United States Geological Survey (USGS) measured the strength of the earthquake at 6.1 on the Richter scale, considerably stronger than Japan's estimate. The USGS estimated that some 604,000 people may have felt moderate to strong shaking.

So what the real story? How much damage has been done?

Even before the 6.1 quake at Fukushima on Saturday and the 2nd 6.1 on Sunday, many nuclear experts thought Japan's nuclear alert should be a 6.5 (not a level 5).

Offic ials Are "Underestimating the Seriousness of the Problem" with Japan's Nuclear Reactors

Japan raised the nuclear alert level from a four to a five, on par with Three Mile Island. This decision has shocked many nuclear experts who thought it should be higher.

Our experts think that it’s a level 6.5 already, and it’s on the way to a seven, which was Chernobyl. We were very shocked that they only called it a five.

Can we trust the official reports?

Fukushima Nuclear Reactor Truth: Locally Chernobyl

…2007, after an earthquake at another plant belonging to the same TEPCO power company, radioactivity was leaked. The leak was kept secret, the public only informed days after, too late for any simple precautions like staying indoors.

The Fukushima plant is 40 years old and was supposed to be dismantled, but is kept alive just like many frail reactors all over the world. …

This history is important, because it clearly shows that the nuclear science is not the problem. One cannot honestly discuss the so called “irrational panic” of the public without discussing the fact that safety records have been falsified and problems downplayed routinely. The public’s distrust and fears are mostly rational and justified.

Also see: New Quake Strikes Almost Atop Fukushima I Nuclear Plant

edit on 20/3/11 by soficrow because: format

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The quake today was 5.8, it even says so in the link you provided. Think you should edit your post.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiffany34
reply to post by soficrow

These earthquakes are so scary. Anyone living near a fault line should seriously consider picking up some supplies for when an earthquake hits us bad. There are lots of places like www.buyearthquakekit.com that sell simple supplies like water, survival kits, back up power, etc. A few simple things might save some lives.

You know what is scary to me? People exploiting the disaster in Japan for profits. You are a piece of crap.
edit on 3/20/2011 by goochball because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by goochball

???

The thread title is the same as the title of the main source:

6.1M Earthquake Reported Near Coast Of Honshu, Japan

The quake struck at 7:48 a.m. CST at a depth of 53.1 km.

Relative to other locations, the quake hit 90 km (55 miles) ESE of Morioka, Honshu, Japan, 139 km (86 miles) SSE of Hachinohe, Honshu, Japan, 162 km (100 miles) NE of Sendai, Honshu, Japan, and 458 km (284 miles) NNE of TOKYO, Japan.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
In your second link they state that the Japan Meteorological Agency reported it as a 5.8 and The United States Geological Survey is reporting it 6.1, I didn't see the USGS part. So I guess thats what started the confusion.

The 5.8-magnitude earthquake at 9.03 p.m. local time (1203 GMT) was centered about 90 kilometers (55 miles) east-southeast of Morioka, the capital city of Iwate prefecture. It struck about 50 kilometers (31 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA)

The map I used reports it as 5.8 as well. quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

So I guess neither of us is wrong, apparently it was a 5.8-6.1 earthquake

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by goochball

It's okay. ...One of my sources says that Japan is underestimating the strength of the earthquakes reported.

FYI - You might be interested in this thread, and I'd sure like some feedback...

Strong Earthquakes Increasing. Disrupting Planet's Magnetic Field?

new topics

top topics

join