It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado in Santa Rosa CA & Funnel Cloud @ Ocean Beach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Small Tornado Hits Santa Rosa As Wild Storm Strikes Bay Area

SANTA ROSA (CBS SF) – A small tornado destroyed a wood and corrugated metal shed at a business in Santa Rosa Friday morning, just hours before the powerful storm prompted a Tornado Warning for San Mateo County and knocked out power to many local PG&E customers.

The National Weather service said Friday that an Enhanced Fujita 1 tornado hit the area shortly before 10 a.m. An EF1 is characterized by a three-second burst of wind between 86 and 110 mph., which is roughly what witnesses describe hitting the Sequoia Landscaping Materials facility.

Another funnel cloud was spotted above Ocean Beach as the same system passed over San Francisco.

sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com...

It is not raining at the moment here in Berkeley but it did rain buckets earlier. The clouds are really dark over my house.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
question is this normal? and could you please post this as well in my thread that i made ages ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

great thread sweetie..
edit on 18/3/11 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Hope everyone is alright - I think I am right in saying this is a very
unusual location for a tornado. Its almost the season for them
here in Indiana and as I went thru a bad one at age 12 I suffer
from a lot of anxiety when I see them on the weather screen.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
www.ktvu.com...

Tornado Tears Roof Off Building In Santa Rosa

Click link for Raw video and more to the story.

SAN FRANCISCO -- An Enhanced Fujita 1 tornado hammered a Santa Rosa neighborhood early Friday, damaging a landscape company while a rare tornado warning was issued for San Mateo County as a winter storm ravaged the Bay Area.

ETA
Here's the raw video of the water spout off Ocean Beach
www.ktvu.com...

edit on 18-3-2011 by berkeleygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Just so everyone knows, tornadoes can strike everywhere and anywhere. All 50 states can be hit. If the conditions are just right, a tornado can form. Tornadoes have been observed on mountains, on Hawaii's island of Lanai'i to name a few. Even Brooklyn and Chicago. I wouldnt go and freak out and say this is a sign of something bad going on. That is just mother nature showing us how little we truely understand her power.

I'm thinking this tornado may have been a QLCS Tornado (quasi linear convective system), which doesnt come from the classic Supercell storm, but from a squall line. Apparently these are more common than was once believed, and account for 20% of tornadoes. They form very rapidly, hit fast, and dissipate rapidly, sometimes they dont even show up on radar. They can spin up without warning, hit and dissappear before radar has a chance to sweep the area.

here is some information in pdf formating, some interesting info on these tornadoes!

www.wdtb.noaa.gov...

www.dupagesevereweather.com...

Also, waterspouts can cause some damage, or sometimes, a tornado can form over the water as a waterspout, then come on land as a tornado.

edit on 3/18/2011 by GenRadek because: more info

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
When i read this it made me think of this thread from this morning. Are they related?

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 18-3-2011 by lcbjr1979 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Every winter or so theres something small reported and a few shingles fly off but that looked pretty legit.

We had a lot of wind this morning and some rain as well.

Id totally stand in the path of it. Id probably regret it but Id still do it

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

I would qualify it as a "funnel cloud." And the area gets one every decade or so. Unusual, but not that big of a deal.

top topics

join