It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Lists Galore!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Hey Everyone,

I know that these threads have been done to death but I wanted to post a list that I've been working on over the course of the past couple weeks. I've done a lot of researching on the net and listening to survivalist so I decided instead of making a list for a B.O.B. I would make a general list of items that would be good in either scenario if you had access to them. Staying put or bugging out is going to depend solely on the crisis at hand and whether or not you can pack or grab it. Without power, running water, or shelter I feel that these 100 or so items will do numbers to help relieve the pressures as well as help you scavenge around and find food, materials etc. So here it is! Let me know how you all feel and please make suggestions of things you'd omit or include. My apologies for it being a picture I just figured if someone likes the list they can save it. I have it in an Excel format so if anyone wants it contact me and I'll be updating it from the information in this thread.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/04d4a041c7d6.jpg[/atsimg]

Thanks

HSR

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Here is my list www.kwakakev.com... . It makes a big difference if you have a car, on foot or in my case a motorbike. Water is the most important thing to take. You could also try camping out to give everything a test drive, make sure it works and anything else you need.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HellstormRising

Mittens/gloves - whistle (after an earthquake) ?

While you have compiled a pretty comprehensive list, it is really long...

What about making a basic, smaller list for a bug-out-bag, just enough stuff to fit in a regular back pack so you could just grab it and run should the need arise. It would include just the absolute vital items from your bigger list?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Good list, however for me I would add one thing that I dont' think I've EVER seen mentioned on one of these lists.
I have an E-book reader (the Barnes and Noble Nook to be exact), the battery lasts up to 10 days w/out a recharge, doesn't take much energy to recharge, and if you expand the memory w/ an internal SD card like I did, I now have 16GB of memory to store lots and lots of books. Novels, survival books, etc. etc. Compine that with a solar charger as mentioned in your post and you have all the knowldge you need to survive in a package that weighs less than one pound.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by JJRichey

Interesting thought here. Could have those training manuals backed up and rdy. Energy is easy enough at least in the wilderness given an industrial goodbye. I would say as long as your people understand how to work it just incase you pass on. It is a good thought for future generations as well as your own.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by HellstormRising

awshome!... you have put together a very good check off list my firend. i just saved it to ma computer, THANKS!!

but may i sugest a crossbow instead of a bow? the arrows are shorter and harder to break and you get alot more distance and acuracy than a bow, they arent as bulky and dont get in the way when hunting, and if the string on a compound bow breaks you are screwed, but if it breaks on a crossbow, you can replace it with a thin strong string.. sometimes even paracord which you should always have.

cots just get in the way when camping and arent that cumfy.. how bout a 1/2" foam sleefing pad, or an inflatable backpacking pad(rolls up small and very cumfterable unless it has a large hole that cant be fixed with duct tape)

and what is your reason for a four man tent? for a family? room to move around? personally i would want something small and light. perhaps even just a goretex bivy sack.(i have slept in one while camping atleast a dozen times theyr nice) and if its rainy just make a lean-too with camo tarp and paracord or rope because even the waterfropf bivys seem to leak at the seams a little when its poaring down rain..

and why have a zippo? if you have a magnesiun stick you can just light the lighter fluid/gasoline/alcohol/spraypaint/hairspray or any other flamable liquids directly.
coton balls and vaseline should go with fire making tho..imo you should have a cooking catagory instead of putting it as general. and if you have a water purifyer/filter their is no need for water purification tablets, they wont remove the heavy metals or dangerous chemicals in the water, and some people are alergict to iodine,if you are you dont want water purifying tablets at all(i think if you are allergict to shellfish than you are allergict to iodine water purifing tablets and potassium iodide)

thanks for the list!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Hey Everyone, Thanks for the great posts. I like some of the ideas you guys have already posted. I consider myself a novice at this stuff but nevertheless I'm determined to get myself a good supply preparations. I don't know if I quite believe that bugging out is really the best idea in some situations but wanted the list to be inclusive of small stuff in case you had to move around. I realize the list was long but if you're staying put or have transportation, a LOT of those items could become pretty useful for scavenging items and getting resources. Now for your posts.

@kwakakev: Thanks man. that's a pretty good list you have there yourself. It looks like you have much experience on the range in aussie'land. If I'm ever down I'll shoot you an email to join up on one of your trips. Did you ever make it to De Grey River?

@5senses: My area gets cold but typically I don't like gloves which is why I included the leather puncture resistant gloves made for law enforcement. Usually they provide enough warmth to ward off any issues. The whistle that is included under the Communication section is more just to get someones attention that you can see but can't hear you. or to alert someone in your party once you've established that is something to look out for. I had kind of thought about getting a secondary list for on foot travel that included just the essentials but I've been fighting myself because I have a hard time believing that careening off into the woods is the best case scenario compared to rallying the neighborhood and trying to look out for each other.

@JJRichey: GREAT IDEA! I have one of the Color Nooks for textbooks in my MBA courses (too many graphs and pie charts) but I never thought about packing it with survival information to take. I always figured that the solar charger wouldn't have been enough and end up frying the power supply in it.

@Mindfreak21: I should have pointed out that I actually don't like compound bows either. I was actually referring to a recurve bow. I like how they break down and in my opinion are easier to transport than crossbows. You do have a good point as crossbows deliver much more lbs of force throughout but I'd be afraid of the reloading. A bow allows you to reload quickly but takes a bit more muscle and a bit more skill as the lb of pull is consistent all the way through. Good idea with the sleeping pad. I wavered on the cot for the reason you pointed out but ultimately decided that I wanted to try and be as comfy as possible. They make hiking tents for four man and 3 season. if I'm bugging out and need a tent I intend on moving south to better climate so I don't need the last season. Hopefully have a vehicle for that. the 4 man is more for me, my girl and gear. Good point on the tarp and bivy bag though. I will definitely look into it. Thanks for the info on the water filtration etc. I didn't even think about heavy metal removal etc. Forgot that those could be really harmful. The iodide or iodine is included primarily because of what happened in Japan (I'm in connecticut and we have a Nuclear Power plant on our coast which I'm kind of close to) so I figured with all the stuff they had to go through and they can't even get the pills right now it's best to have something on hand to mitigate radiation exposure as it blocks your panc. from absorbing it. this is if you don't have those foods containing enough to add protection. No need Od'ing on iodide. Great points nevertheless.

Thank you everyone for your comments I will be updating my list with some of these ideas. KEEP THEM COMING.

new topics

top topics

join