It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US, Russia & China agree on Libya. IS this a good thing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
If they joint strike Libyan targets, or if Libya strikes back against Chinese targets and US steps in and "saves the day" or rescues downed POW; wouldn't that strength ties?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Not sure what you mean ? China , Russia , Brazil , Germany and India , abstained from the vote . In fact the libyan government thanked those countries for abstaining , so not sure why Russia and China will be seen as on the side of the US ?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Not exactly sure what you mean. Could you clarify?

Both China and Russia abstained from voting for a no fly zone.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Abstaining from a vote is silent consent.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Why would Libya strike Chinese targets?

The no-fly zone resolution passed 10-0 with five abstentions, including Russia and China, which have veto power, and Germany, India and Brazil.

source

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by BnletB

Sorta...I'm fairly certain that both Russia and China are thinking the same thing i.e. If the western powers are intent on bankrupting themselves with constant wars and playing world police then by all means go ahead.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

I would like to ask you , how do you feel about Canada agreeing to send 6 f18's over there to in force the no fly zone ?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I think it will be funny if France and UK, who seem hellbent to rush in there, have all of their planes shot down. I have heard Libya seems to have some of the best air defenses money can buy. Then they will come crying to US to do something about that meanie in Libya.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The chances of China being involved in any of this are about 0%.....and how would Libya strike China anyway....they have zero "power projection"

Just....no

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Well we are the peace keepers of the world. We pretty much invented that term. So long as we don't engage in combat operations, this is what Canada would normally do in such a situation.

I'd rather that then a situation such as Afghanistan.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Not sure what the roll peace keeper means as far as Canada sending 6 f18 to libya to enforce the no fly zone ?
Pretty sure they will be shooting at something , no ?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BnletB

Actually it's more akin to knowing you will be damned if you veto it because you understand that your mostly seen as a 'bad country' and that only 'good' countries, like the US, can veto dozens of bills ( dozens intented to protect middle eastern people against Israel) meant to protect the people of the world against aggression by the imperial powers or it's allied states. So if Russia and China chooses to abstain it's probably because they understand that they actually have no right to intervene in the sovereign affairs of libya and certainly no moral standing that can be employed to do so under the cover of supposed human rights concerns. It's really ironic when countries with bad records of internal human rights absuses still have the occasional decency to stay out of the human rights abuses going on in other countries while countries such as the US have the temerity to pretend that their foreign policy is intended to protect the human rights of anything but a tiny minority of fantastically wealthy in each country.

If they wanted to consent they could have just voted for it and thus have gained some 'points' with westerners who can't see the imperial actions of their governments as such.

Stellar

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Yes, Russia and China have expressed their position on the subject of Libya. Instead of using their veto power, they abstained from voting.

I don't see Russia and China sided with the Americans here...More like getting their own out of harms way.
edit on 20-3-2011 by BiGGz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Max_TO

Well we are the peace keepers of the world

No, America is the peace keeper of the world.

Damn Canadians

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
B.R.I.C is not stupid , some may silently agree ... if they dont get involved they don't have to pay for it ....

Atm world economy is in the toilet and war is a rich mans game when switiching to attack.

new topics

top topics

join