It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another sign that California is about to get the "big one"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I live in the bay area, and know highway 1 well. It's a beautiful drive, but extremely narrow in some areas, and built right into the side of some pretty steep landscape. Yes we're due for a big one, and there have been warnings. But I really don't believe this is connected. Highway 1 gets shut down regularly because it's so dangerous, and large mudslides are very common.

This doesn't add to my worry of a quake.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ..5..

You don't think that the heaviest rainstorm in 50 years, the fact it is packed beach sand, the fact that it is a 70 degree slope, undermined by cutting the highway too close had anything to do with the slide?

I go with the erosion.

You might be right, it can possibly be erosion or it could possibly be both where the siesmic activity trigered the area causing it to become unstable and erode. I don't know. As for now, we don't have any significant explanation or expert providing a conclusive report yet. We are all speculating on what the cause of this occurence unless someone(an expert) had already drafted a report and release it to the public. If so, I would like to post it here for a final update. For now, I would like to draw some awarenes on other posibilities.

Thank you for your enlightened information and point of view.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
I live in the bay area, and know highway 1 well. It's a beautiful drive, but extremely narrow in some areas, and built right into the side of some pretty steep landscape. Yes we're due for a big one, and there have been warnings. But I really don't believe this is connected. Highway 1 gets shut down regularly because it's so dangerous, and large mudslides are very common.

This doesn't add to my worry of a quake.

Thank you for providing your experience and input. The more information we have the better I can dispute this theory. Be safe my friend.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Japan has moved 8-13 feet closer to the US west coast according to various reports. This is placing stress on the San Andreas fault. Especially since certain areas of Japan are now reported to have lowered by about 2 feet.

This stress has to also be released at some point, and when it is, it would also add more pressure on the San Andreas system.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Red Cloak
Japan has moved 8-13 feet closer to the US west coast according to various reports. This is placing stress on the San Andreas fault. Especially since certain areas of Japan are now reported to have lowered by about 2 feet.
Japan is a long way from the San Andreas fault. Please cite any credible source backing up your claim. I doubt seriously you have a source, it sounds like made up BS from someone with a less than stellar understanding of plate tectonics.

This stress has to also be released at some point, and when it is, it would also add more pressure on the San Andreas system.

www.pbd.in...:next-big-quake-in-california-likely-to-devastate-state&catid=9:edit&Itemid=13

Forecasters in 2008 saw a 99 percent chance of a 6.7 magnitude quake within three decades, and 46 percent chance of a 7.5 or greater, with Southern California the likely center.
My guess is, that forecast has probably changed little if at all since the Japan quake. CA still has a 99% chance of a large quake within the next three decades, just like it did in 2008. OK maybe now it's 99.1% within the next 27 years, but it's just an estimate to begin with so that's not significantly different.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Red Cloak

I called you out on another thread already, but here we go again.

"This is placing stress on the San Andreas fault"

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Is this something new to the SF area? Has this occurence happen here before?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by awakenone

I currently live In the San Francisco Bay Area and yes this has happened before. there was actually 2 ef1 tornadoes yesterday 1 in santa rosa and 1 off the ocean beach which is the water spout you posted.. we have them every so often.. maybe 10 years ago a small tornadoe touch down and it only hit a Church which was unoccupied so there wasnt any injuries..and as far as Highway 1 collapse is concerned that happens every single year somewhere along that highway..which is why they probably stopped building them so close to ocean cliffs. highway 9 highway 17 and highway 1 are all known landslide areas that wash away with heavy rains and it's been storming here.supposedly its gonna keep pouring all next week so I expect more erosion problems will be seen soon around here. As far as the general mood for Earthquake preparedness everybody knows/expects a big 1 here soon and i for 1 am hoping itll be here an not on the Cascadius Subduction Zone because then we have major major problems. I'm predicting it will happen when the sunspot storms that are currently on the far side of the sun rotates towards us and stresses our magnetosphere combined with the super moon forces that will trigger the Quake..but thats just a guess

top topics

<< 1   >>

join