It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. helping Americans leave Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
United states is now bringing in chartered planes at the state department's expense to get American's out of Japan.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Does anyone else feel like things going on there with the radiation may be a LOT worse than they're letting on? I just can't believe everything thats going on out there and first they were recommending that American's leave Japan, and now they're sending planes to get them out.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ML8715

I think there are things they aren't letting us know but I also think that family members of the American's in Japan are raising a fit (rightfully so) to get them out ASAP. I know if my family was there and couldn't get a plane out I'd be contacting everyone I could to get them back home where I could feel they're safe. Sometimes enough nagging, yelling, and talking to the right people can sometimes get you what you want.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
US Starts Evacuating Some Americans Out Of Japan

Japan Expected To Ask US Military For More Help In Quake, Tsunami Aftermath

POSTED: Wednesday, March 16, 2011

UPDATED: 1:05 am EDT March 17, 2011

WASHINGTON -- The United States on Wednesday authorized the first evacuations of Americans out of Japan, taking a tougher stand on the deepening nuclear crisis and warning U.S. citizens to defer all non-essential travel to any part of the country as unpredictable weather and wind conditions risked spreading radioactive contamination.
President Barack Obama placed a telephone call to Prime Minister Naoto Kan to discuss Japan's efforts to recover from last week's devastating earthquake and tsunami, and the nuclear crisis at the Fukushima Dai-chi plant. Obama promised Kan that the U.S. would offer constant support for its close friend and ally, and "expressed his extraordinary admiration for the character and resolve of the Japanese people," the White House said.

www.clickondetroit.com...

Well it begins, I hope they get all Americans out of Japan as soon as possible, this is really getting scary....I pray for the Jaanese and Americans..

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by kittendaydreamer

I absolutely agree. If I had family over there I'd be doing the same thing. I by all means think it's a good thing that they're getting Americans out, but where are all the Japanese citizens going to go if the radiation gets really bad, which is a very big possibility that it will.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

I also find it interesting that the US Ambassador was telling Americans in Japan to evacuate if they are within 50 miles from the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant, and Japanese government was only evacuating within 20 miles. Thats quite a big difference for a radius of evacuation, I think.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
There's no excuse for evacuating this late. There should have been mass evacuations a lot sooner.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ML8715

I also find it interesting that the US Ambassador was telling Americans in Japan to evacuate if they are within 50 miles from the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant, and Japanese government was only evacuating within 20 miles. Thats quite a big difference for a radius of evacuation, I think.

US EPA guidelines are 50 miles. Japan's call for 20km. The USA has to advise their people based on their guidelines.

In any case, the "evacuation" is for families of base personnel, and it's entirely voluntary. If it was serious, it wouldn't be voluntary.

Like the warning the other day to "secure all external ventilation where convenient", this is the lowest level of response they can take without doing nothing.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Just heard from a friend in Tokyo, he says that people with money and means have been leaving since Monday. Hes currently at the airport with thousands of other people waiting for the next flight out.

He also told me that for the most part everybody's been calm and helpful but recent news of radiation levels near the plant are starting to worry a lot of people and a sense of urgency is developing. I myself don't know what the current rad levels are, but he said local news is reporting critical levels (whatever that means) within 50 kilometers of the plant.

I don't think we've even begun to see how bad this thing can ultimately get. I'm furious at the fact Obama is on ESPN talking about college brackets for March Madness while we have multiple world crisis going on right now. What a shame.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Well with headlines like this Japanese Gov't Blacks Out Radiation Readings Closest to Smouldering Plants... it kind of makes you wonder what is really going on.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ML8715

I know, this whole situation is heartbreaking and I hope as many people no matter what country they're from can get out of the danger zone as soon as possible.

new topics

top topics

join