It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will happen WHEN all 6 melt down?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Tel Aviv - An Israeli nuclear expert has accused Japan of downplaying the danger of a nuclear calamity in the region of its quake-stricken Fukushima Daiichi plant.

'If there is fallout of plutonium oxide, a most toxic substance that they use in the reactor that exploded, no one will be able to set foot on the site for thousands of years,' said Uzi Even, one of Israel's most prominent nuclear scientists, who worked at the country's Dimona reactor in the southern Negev desert. [own emphasis added]

Source

Uzi Even

The dangers for Japan are far from over unfortunately and, if this scientist is correct they will remain an issue for a long time yet.
Last night on the BBC News Network, they had a (they mentioned the name, but I forget) guy from Scotland, an apparent expert, who mentioned the fact they had around 1,800 tons of fuel in total there.
More disturbing than the fact this person was obviously distressed, was that he estimated were all six to go, it would would be the equivalent of having to deal with 18 conventional stations, all in a similar state of meltdown.

However, the rest of the world need not panic so readily as there are many, many books on the subject out there which clearly show that there has already been vast amounts of plutonium oxide pollution released throughout the decades in the US for one, via nuclear testing and, as is apparent, we are still here albeit with increased mortality rates overall.

edit on 16-3-2011 by OptimisticPessimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
the dude thay have on cnn with anderson cooper sounds just like press bush you wonder if he knows what he is talking about. ware is my faviret ufoolagest staten freidman? isant he a nuckular fisasist? im really sorry i know my spelling really sucks im sorry! i try and follow stanton and would love to here what he has to say about all this he does not seem to bs!!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Yeah there's just too many variables right now to know. Specially with 6 different potential situations. Yeah if it wouldn't have been for the reactors scramming, The outcome would have been far different. Within hours of us knowing about cooling system failures.Think of it as an engine blowing up At Idle Vs. Full throttle. If my mind serves me right was also a contributing problem with Chernobyl, They had a thermal runaway situation. They scrammed the reactor and the fuel rods had already started to have catastrophic failures, not allowing control rods to full drop cycle. Thus Contributing to the mass explosion among many other contributing factors. That was a totally different design reactor.

Oh and as far as Nuclear Detonation goes, It is impossible with the fuels in these core's in their present state, they would have to be refined in order to acheave Critical Mass. Even #3 Reactor that has MOX fuel. Too many Oxides.

Yeah i know what you mean there Slayerfan, Ive been monitoring some of them channels, and noticed a few mistakes on their part. Ive heard people state Plutonium Fueled a Number of times now. Anyone who knows anything about Nuclear Physics knows, you cant or don't want to use Plutonium in its pure form as a fuel in a reactor, much too unpredictable. Now Plutonium Oxides and small amounts of Plutonium mixed down with Uranium and Depleted Uranium is different.
edit on 16-3-2011 by Pegasus2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Start learning Yoga people, cause we might have to kiss our mutated arse's goodbye.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by meathed
Start learning Yoga people, cause we might have to kiss our mutated arse's goodbye.

Only if you're in Japan.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX1874

I agree that this is a great concern for many people for many different reasons. Since most of us are just ordinary citizens with no real knowlege about "What could happen next". It would be nice if the experts would post here about what will happen when all 6 melt down.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

How do we know.
If all 6 go, well, it hasnt happened before.
So your guessing, just like me.
Only time will tell.

edit on 16-3-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Maybe not a nuclear explosion, but just the reactor exploding from the pressure, spewing all the radiation from inside out. And as for #3, looks wide open to me, maybe not right to the inside, but if it's still completely sealed, then wow. As for the ones on the roof, just another roof explosion to throw spent rods and water into the air.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Has there been any confirmation that the containment vessels have NOT been damaged? The reports I have been reading having been confusing and I may have missed it.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by drock905

It sounds like no-one knows for sure. The man in charge of three-mile island said there is no way they can know, only by detecting radiation, it took them years to finally open up TMIs reactor that halfway melted down, and they were shocked to see it melted down partially.

<< 1   >>

join