It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will happen WHEN all 6 melt down?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
What will happen from all 6 "melting down"? Of course I'm hoping they don't, however it took 2 hours for three-mile islands exposed rods to melt halfway, cover-up or not, in my opinion this will end in worst case scenario. What is your input on what will happen, either the plant (blow up?), the country of Japan, the United States, or Earth? Humanity, or Mother Nature.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
All I would feel comfortable saying about all of them going would proove almost impossible to predict even by experts as it would set a new precident if it happened, with too many variables to fully know... I believe the implications would be a Global problem on different lvls effecting numerous sectors...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
north korea takes it as a threat and starts a war?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SixX1874
What will happen from all 6 "melting down"? Of course I'm hoping they don't, however it took 2 hours for three-mile islands exposed rods to melt halfway, cover-up or not, in my opinion this will end in worst case scenario. What is your input on what will happen, either the plant (blow up?), the country of Japan, the United States, or Earth? Humanity, or Mother Nature.

If all 6 totally melt down? Japan is a small country. I would expect a large part of Japan would become heavily contaminated with radiation for years. The winds would decide that during the meltdowns. Perhaps large parts of the country would become inhabitable. As far as Russia, Asia, and north America, I have no idea.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX1874

Since reactor 4 is about to explode I would say your thread is with high probability now.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

What is your input on what will happen, either the plant
Well, they seem to be holding out at this stage, there is hope...but my gut feeling tells me there's more going on than what they're telling us, and that something bad is going to happen soon, especially if they can't get those workers back in, but I think they have gotten some workers back in there now.

edit on 16-3-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by pleasetryagain

Haha, sometimes laughter helps. I think it's snowing there now on Anderson Cooper. Nuclear Winter??

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Well In worst case Scenario, I don't think is physically possible for any of the fuel rods, melted or not to reach critical mass. Only when Critical mass is reached will it detonate. In worst case scenario There will be catastrophic Fallout locally. The weather will only tell just how far the fallout will go. Many of the shorter lived Isotopes only have a half life of hours. Still Catastrophic for local Japan, many of the other Isotopes ie. Sr 90 (Strontium) Cesium 137 half life of 30 years or so. Cs 129, 131, 132 and 136 are around week or less Cs 134 about 2 years.Cesium 135 has a half life of 2 Million years +. Iodine 131 will have a Half life just over a week. Depends on how high into the atmosphere it should get would reflect on how far out it would get. The new data on the Cooling pools for spent fuel rods have catastrophic results, should they destabilize. Is the US in danger? Only time will tell. Long term effects, I'm sure there be some sort of fallout around the world. How much is unknown.

edit on 16-3-2011 by Pegasus2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I think if all 6 end up going, the nuclear power will somehow rip a hole in space and time, and they can all go back before any of this ever happens and prepare for this tragic event. I mean, if it's unknown, anything is possible right?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

The rods will eventually melt down and the puddles will converge, bringing the total weight to critical mass.
There will then be a huge explosion and a huge crater the size of 2 Japans.
Next year the history texts will tell us of how GWBush and Obama met and defeated the dinosaur there with only Winchester repeating rifles.
No seriously lives will be lost and land will be lost, just like chernobyl.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SixX1874

Originally posted by pleasetryagain

Haha, sometimes laughter helps. I think it's snowing there now on Anderson Cooper. Nuclear Winter??

Actually he's right, with all of our ships over there right now, NK could very well get nervous and rattle a saber or two....

Also, from wht I understand, 4,5 & 6 are not in operation right? I could be inaccurate with the number of them, but I could have sworn ai heard someone say earlier on cNn that was the case.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

Ok that takes the cake right there

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Pegasus2000

Well In worst case Scenario, I don't think is physically possible for any of the fuel rods, melted or not to reach critical mass. Only when Critical mass is reached will it detonate.
No one is worried about a freakin nuclear explosion, well not one caused critical mass. The real threat is fallout.

edit on 16-3-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Reactor 4 & 6 is now in trouble........

expect a chain reaction now!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
actually yeah # 4,5,6 are not producing reactors at this time, but that's where the trouble of the Cooling pools are, there's hundreds of spent fuel assembly's in cooling pools inside them reactors, #4 of which they are suspecting its cooling pool on fire. and pool temps in excess of 80C near twice the normal Temp.
edit on 16-3-2011 by Pegasus2000 because: Spelling as Usual. (looking for his spell checker)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

Can anyone confirm time travel will soon become possible?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I hope the radiation doesn't reach the grain belt in the USA or we are all in for a global problem.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

The people of Japan may need to abandon the country

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
It really depends on how much if any damage there is to the containment vessels. In theory, the containment vessels are designed to contain a full-on runaway reactor in meltdown. The reactors at Fukushima had their control rods inserted when the earth quake happened and are supposedly now only generating residual heat. So, the containment vessels should be able to withstand any meltdown that takes place, unless they were damaged by the hydrogen explosions.....

The bigger worry may be the spent fuel rods at the #4 reactor which are not in any sort of containment vessel. If they are unable to keep the spent fuel cooled, the result could be another fire which would release additional radioactive material into the atmosphere.
edit on 16-3-2011 by joebob because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Well we might find out. I although would not rely on the source too much. Me. I am not what you would say "qualified" to answer such questions.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join