It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buying a 99¢ taco with 1 ounce gold coin

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The quote by Oscar Wilde, "these days man knows the price of everything and the value of nothing", comes to mind when I watch this video.

A man tries to purchase a 99 cent taco with a one ounce gold coin (legal american tender). Although the result is pretty much what I expected, it is fascinating to see how people have forgotten exactly what money is and where it came from.

We value paper over precious metals(and most other things), or so we have been trained to.

I can't even blame the cashier, if you've never seen one of those coins how are you going to know.

If that where me working there however, I woulda have thanked him kindly, closed the window, pulled a buck out of my pocket and put it into the till

edit on 15-3-2011 by Ghandi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
"Would you rather have these Federal Reserve Notes?"
Hahaha!!!
People see more value in those lousy pieces of paper than the actual precious metal that the paper used to be backed by!
I'll trade that dude a party pack of tacos for that coin

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
another sign our society is full of complete uneducated morons......... i swear if i worked at that place, i would have smacked that person in the back of the head if they where my employee....

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
The only thing worth any value is life. Gold, Silver, rubies, diamonds, ruthenium...they are all valueless! Whats more a concern to me is that we trade our life for these golden coins. Eye've said it before and Eye'll say it again. SEEDS...yes Seeds should be the world reserve currency.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I wonder how that guy would have felt if I actually took the coin, put it in my pocket and paid for his Taco with 'Reserve Notes'?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Haha that was most hilarious!

I would have been excited if I was the person working at Taco Bell, but I honestly would have thought it to be a fake coin as I wouldn't imagine anyone would be stupid enough to let an authentic American Eagle out of their hands. And considering he paid for his food with 50 dollars of actual currency, you wouldn't be putting a dollar in the till, you would be putting 50 dollars in there.

Think about when/if TSHTF..... trying to buy food or anything else with gold or paper money is going to be equally as useless.
edit on 15-3-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Is it generally an easy way to make threads by grabbing articles from Infowars?

Coin collecting just isn't as cool as it was with the newer generations. There are a lot more things online to be distracted with rather than reading the annual Whitman's book.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The value of one ounce of gold is about 1400 dollars.
Would you expect to be able to cash a 1400 dollar check for a 99 cent taco and get the change back?
Not likely.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The one major flaw with this video and the logic of having said coin is the fact that the price of gold is being measured in those very "dollars".

Once the value of those dollars corrects that coin goes back to a realistic "value", and by realistic I of course mean whatever we think shiny rocks are worth. The only reason to have them is to spend them in an emergency situation when said dollar is worthless; the government however has confiscated gold before and will happily do so again.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghandi

I was hoping he'd decide not to eat that taco .. and then he throws it away lol.

Taco Bell doesn't accept bills over $20 anyways, they couldn't take the $50 coin even if she did know what it was.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Shhhh .. dude, don't try and talk logic about Gold on ATS .. I gave up on that long ago. You are correct, the price of Gold is in Dollars, which is an oxymoron in it's self as to what it's "worth". The correct translation is "A Dollar is worth X amount of oz's." because that's what you'd compare the value of a Dollar to intrinsic value .. where as saying "An oz of Gold is worth $1400" is saying the Gold is product and the Dollar is the value. And Gold never appreciates like we think it does, since it's value is based off purchasing power mostly, with some supply and demand thrown in, the purchasing power of Gold is typically always the same. Which is something some people find attractive about Gold and Silver, but most have no idea.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I would of took the coin and used my own dollar to pay for his taco.. It's more typical to see the mentality of a Taco Bell employee lacks any sort of ingenuity, hence the no brainer job.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Mark Dice has a bunch of videos on YouTube demonstrating the ignorance of Americans from not accepting a 1oz gold coin for 10 dollars to signing absolutely anything put in front of them. Check it out, they are always entertaining - this is the guy that was on the History Channel (Decoded) talking about the Statue of Liberty.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Ghandi

Taco Bell doesn't accept bills over $20 anyways, they couldn't take the $50 coin even if she did know what it was.

If someone gives you a coin worth $1400 for $50 you take it, even if its against Taco Bell policy to accept large bills. You take the coin to help him out and drop $50 in the register.

[edit]

I watched the video - his meal was $2.00 and he got some change back. So $1400 for $1.98 or so. I might risk that coin being fake for $1.98..
edit on 3/16/2011 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Reply to post by ararisq

Wow, so the main bullet points from this thread are:

* All Americans are ignorant and uneducated.
* It's okay to steal from the ignorant and uneducated.

Surprised none of the knowledgeable and educated folks posting on here didn't state they would educate this poor, ignorant soul. Hmmm, maybe we are headed down the proverbial crapper.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Could have just as well been a one ounce coin of fool's gold. I don't blame the cashier one bit for rejecting it.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Could have just as well been a one ounce coin of fool's gold. I don't blame the cashier one bit for rejecting it.

Good point.

Nothing foolish about thinking that "if something seems too good to be true then it probably isn't".

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi

If your familiar with the coin and the weight, it's a no brainer.
Fake $50 gold coin is worth $15 anyway, and thus you still make over 7x profit.

edit on 16-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

So you apparently have never actually purchased a Gold coin before? You don't just except a coin because "it feels right" .. how incredibly ignorant on your behalf when dealing with an investment?

Just because some douche bag at a drive through is saying it's Gold, doesn't mean it's Gold.
She could have tested it with a magnet, rubbed the coin on the ceramic walls, but any other testing would involve a small lab setting. This guy has nothing better to do than harass a minimum wage employee at a fast food restaurant.

In the future though, TEST your Gold before you buy, something like half of all Gold sold in the US is fake (10k or less) or plated nickle. This includes jewelry. Especially Jewelry.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I know the value of an ounce of gold and I would not have accepted that either - because nobody that has any brains would ever try to use a legitimate 1 ounce gold coin to buy a taco. Heck, I'll admit, I didn't even know those have an "actual" value of $50...

This is silly more than anything, and fails at proving anything.
edit on 3/16/11 by Angry Danish because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join