It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scum Raise Ugly Heads From Japan Quake!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The Criminal Fraternity of Worldwide Scum have already leapt into action to feed from the very soul of the Japanese suffering at Sickening speed, security experts warned today.

The Tide Of Terror has barely had chance to recede as bodies lay shattered across the coastlines of Japan as internet Vultures circle overhead ready to gorge from the very heart of a suffering nation and to spread their wings across the Globe Of Human Kindness

Internet Scams across the globe swung into action far faster than any recovery effort could even hope to mobilise

The Sickening Scams range from links to fake antivirus downloads and Fraudulent donation sites that steal from individuals like you and me.
The simple factor behind all of these scams is pure and simple greed.
From individuals hoping to rake in a windfall to organized crime with a vast network of fake websites ready to pray on the good.

"What's surprising this time is how quickly they picked up on the news," said Chet Wisniewski, a security researcher with Sophos. "We knew scams were coming, but they started appearing in record-breaking time, less than three hours after the earthquake."

Even the mighty Facebook has fallen foul of the scammers.

Cyber-Criminals collect information when users click on a link posing as CNN video footage of the tsunami that struck the eastern cost of Japan Friday, said Sophos in a blog post Sunday.

False donations Scammers are also flooding email inboxes with messages asking recipients to donate money to relief efforts, said Eric Park, a Symantec researcher with the company's anti-spam team.

"This is very typical, especially with disasters, because they can ask for donations or pose as a legitimate charitable organisation," said Park today.

Another Symantec researcher noted that other scams have appeared taking advantage of news of the earthquake and tsunami. "Symantec has observed a classic 419 message targeting the Japanese disaster," said researcher Samir Patil. "The message is a bogus 'next of kin' story that purports to settle millions of dollars owing to an earthquake and tsunami victim." A "419" scam is a long-used con, named for a section in the Nigerian criminal code, that tries to convince victims to advance funds in the hope of realising a much larger return.

Malicious domains Crooks have also registered a large number of domains with URLs that may fool users into thinking that they're legitimate donation or relief sites, said Patil, a tactic that can also push those sites higher on search results.

Patil said that Symantec spotted more than 50 such domains within hours of last week's earthquake and ensuing tsunami, all with the words "Japan tsunami" or "Japan earthquake" in their URLs. Other security companies have seen the same thing. Last Friday, for instance, Trend Micro spotted numerous parked domains, URLs that have been registered but had zero content, with words like "help," "earthquake," "japan," "tsunami," "relief" and "donations" included in their titles.

Monday, Trend Micro reported on one phishing site that included "japan" in its URL, saying that the site was harvesting email addresses and other personal information from unsuspecting users.

The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3), a joint effort by the FBI and the National White Collar Crime Center, issued an alert last Friday that warned consumers to be wary of responding to donation requests following a disaster like Japan's.

Fake antivirus Fake anti-virus vendors have also gotten in on the action, according to the SAN Institute's Internet Storm Center (ISC). Makers of the bogus security software stay atop breaking news by automatically poisoning search engine results with links to their wares.

The ISC came up with a tally of 1.7 million poisoned pages that tout the earthquake and tsunami, a number beyond even Google's ability to rapidly delete.

Users should donate only to legitimate organisations, and only through those groups' websites, experts said today. The Red Cross, for example, is taking donations on its site. "And remember, many communities have set up their own charity programs, so if you're not sure about a solicitation, go to your local charity, like your local branch of the Red Cross," said Wisniewski.

Source

Please ensure that if you wish to donate to any organization, take as many steps as you can to ensure that the company is legitimate.

Remember too that e-mails can look very legitimate but even these can prove to be dangerous.

A glossy website proves nothing.

What are your thoughts? Have you received any Hoax e-mails or noticed any suspicious websites?

edit on 15-3-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15/3/11 by masqua because: Replaced 'All Caps' in title

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The people carrying out these actions as you put it are the scum of the earth.
I cant think of any other word for them.
Ghastly behaviour indeed

My heart goes out to all involved in Japan and all of their families ... Far & Near
xx

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
See now if Anonymous wants to gain my support then these are the kind of jacka$$es that need to be taken care of. I swear people like that make me want to beat someone. Nice post thanks for the heads up as it might just save someone from getting scammed. In the meantime Anonymous do something about these jerks and you will have my sworn allegiance and support.

link   
This is to be expected. People see these disasters as a money making scheme.
Disgusting, but not surprising.

link   
What are my thoughts? I would like to de-nut them, without any anesthesia....

link   
its amazing that all the real douche bags come crawling out after somthing like this. feeding off of peoples disasters just to make a buck. send them to the FEMA camps first lol

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
My heart sincerely goes out to all the victims of this tragedy, and to all the fools ignorant enough to support these thieves. If only my buck would actually make it over to someone that desperately needed it, I'd be more of a philanthropist.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
But if they did this at Wall Street they would be living the good life right now.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I have just found a warning issued by the US FTC

THE US FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) has issued a warning to the public about scam charity appeals pretending to offer aid to Japan after the earthquake and tsunami last week.

The FTC is asking people to be extremely careful as reports surface of a rise in humanitarian relief scams in the wake of the Japanese disaster, which apparently some low-lifes are attempting to take advantage of to line their pockets.

These scams can take multiple forms, with many popping up on websites, social networks and by email. However, there are also a number of them being pursued by phone and in person, which might seem more legitimate to those who are wary of spam and scams on the Internet.

The FTC has a charity checklist that people can use to identify real charities. It also offered a few tips to consumers to avoid being scammed, such as asking the name of the charity, asking what percentage of a donation will actually reach those affected by the disaster, and verifying that the charity has authorised the individual to collect on its behalf.

The US federal consumer protection agency advised that people not donate with cash, as there is no record of the transaction.

It also recommended that people ask for a receipt and only offer their credit card or bank details if they are certain that the individual and charity are legitimate.

Read more: www.theinquirer.net... The Inquirer.

It may well be worth checking your e-mails and Junk folders for charity requests and marking them as a phishing scam if you suspect them to be suspicious.

These Animals need to be traced.
edit on 15-3-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by studio500

Frankly speaking, it's purely down to the pandemic that is such attitudes that I am more than willing to go through an extinction level event to eradicate this cancer that prevails at the end of our Age.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I don't know if Ghandi, Buddha, Christ, Zoroaster, or the aliens would agree with your viewpoint in terms of form.

scum of the earth?

They have much more to learn, this is unsettling.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LoveSoldier

I understand that the viewpoint is a little harsh. 'scum of the earth'

After putting more time into my thought of action , i decided on a different approach to them..

afterall ....

I also believe in your way of thinking Positivity will overcome negativity.

edit on 15-3-2011 by the2010apprentice because: bad formatting

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by the2010apprentice

It is monumental whenever even one does not put up with hatred and mindless thought systems. I think our urge to condemn such things comes from our analytical mind recognizing the action by others is nonsensical and creates an emotionally appealing declaration that we are apart from them in viewpoint, and form of thought, which indeed we are. It is heartening to see humans stand up against hatred and apathy, I don't need to put any further explanation up, I think we see eye to eye.

new topics

top topics

join