It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Russia Seriously Considering Sending 40,000 Troops To Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
In a shocking move, Putin and Bush are currently negotiating the allocation of as many as 40,000 Russian troops to the Iraq region.

scoop.agonist.org
"Russia, reports Stratfor, is seriously considering sending up to 40,000 troops to Iraq. If so, this has the potential to seriously affect the ongoing situation in Iraq and the campaign at home.

Moscow and Washington are quietly negotiating a request by the Bush administration to send Russian troops to Iraq or Afghanistan this fall, Russian government sources tell Stratfor. The talks are intense, our contacts close to the U.S. State Department say, and the timing is not insignificant. A Russian troop lift to either country before the U.S. presidential election would give U.S. President George W. Bush a powerful boost in the campaign.

Sources close to Russia's Security Council tell Stratfor that Russian President Vladimir Putin has agreed to the request "in principle" and has directed the Russian General Staff to work up a plan by the end of the month."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If this move does occur, it would mean the U.S. would effectively be beginning to remove itself from Iraq and would most surely begin to focus on Iran (which we hear more and more about every single day) or other targets in the region.

However, such a move would not be without consequences for the United States. Russia is demanding a reinstatement of control over oil fields in Iraq as well as WTO intitation.

Stratfor continues to report:

stratfor.com

"Moscow is considering a request by the Bush administration to send Russian troops to Iraq or Afghanistan this fall, just before the U.S. presidential election. The move would be of enormous benefit to U.S. President George W. Bush and a risky venture for Russian President Vladimir Putin, who faces his own Islamist insurgency in Chechnya and public opposition to U.S. policy in Iraq. Torn between his desire to support Bush and his need to address domestic concerns, Putin will delay his final decision to the eleventh hour."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Still Developing....

Related News Links:
www.mosnews.com
www.furbo-filters.com
www.themoscowtimes.com

[edit on 7-20-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I read reports of this a few days ago.

Yes, its true, theres a very high chance of them being sent.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
The Moscow Times however is reporting just the opposite,

MOSCOW (AP) -- The Foreign Ministry reaffirmed Tuesday that Moscow has no intention to send its troops to Iraq, shrugging off a report that claimed the Kremlin was considering a request from Washington to contribute forces.
Ministry spokesman Alexander Yakovenko insisted "there are no plans to send Russian servicemen to Iraq."

And then he continued....

Yakovenko's comments came in response to a recent report by Stratfor, a private U.S. firm that specializes in analyses and forecasts on global political, economic and security issues, which claimed that President Vladimir Putin had agreed "in principle" to send up to 40,000 troops to Iraq.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Have the events taking place in the last year or so make anyone else think of the crazy apocolyptic tales we find in the bibe? I'm waiting for the Jehova witnesses to come to my door.

Nice to see Russia and the US getting along so well. I wonder what they're up to

But I don't see this deal going through if George has to give up his precious oil.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
this would be a great step in the right direction for russia, one step closer to nato and the eu; the only way for the russians to get back on their feet.

-raven

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
If true; then it may have something to do with Iran and perhaps a way to cajole them into compliance. Just a guess, if in fact Russia does send that many troops.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
maybe russia, the us and china have gotten together and divvied up the world....

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Alexander Yakovenko, the Spokesman of Russia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Answers a Question from ITAR-TASS News Agency and Other Media Regarding Russian-Troops-to-Be-Sent-to-Iraq Reports

1648-20-07-2004

Question: Please comment on the publications in US media alleging that Moscow and Washington are in negotiations on the sending to Iraq of Russian troops in exchange for economic concessions.

Answer: This information does not correspond to reality. There are no plans to dispatch Russian troops to Iraq.

July 20, 2004

iraqwar.mirror-world.ru...

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I for one wouldn't believe the russian report, Remember Russia has a history of lieing to there people, they will only tell them at the last second.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I dont think Putin would do that...(lying to his country) unless it was in the best interests of his country. But also i think that Putin thinks HE is in the best interests of his country....

Oh and hey.....you cant say that American politics, news hasn't lied to America MANY MANY times before...

[edit on 21-7-2004 by DaRAGE]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 05:47 AM
link   
If and this is a big if, Russia sends that amount of troops it would seem to have the effect for instance of freeing up a whole division or two of our forces for more unfettered use's such as an attack on Iran.

Freeing up a force such as the heavy mechanized 2nd ID currently redeploying from South Korea to Iraq with its Bradleys, M-1's and Artillery? Make an effective strike force when combined with massive firepower of several Carrier Battle Groups wouldn't it?

The Russians economic stability demands that they end up on the side of the winner, if for instance Washington had the "goods" on Iranian involvement in 9/11 or later planned attacks then that may be enough to sway Russian government support.

Again this IS conjecture on my part but looking at strategy says this or something similar is possible.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by lockheed
If this move does occur, it would mean the U.S. would effectively be beginning to remove itself from Iraq and would most surely begin to focus on Iran (which we hear more and more about every single day) or other targets in the region.

The worst humanitarian crisis ever is happening in Sudan, which is not very far from Iraq.
If Russia can relieve pressure from the US led coalition in Iraq, maybe some of that 'international concern' could be directed their way?

"If you are not secure, you can't eat. If we are seeking food, we have food in the home village. We ask khawaja [white people] not to bring us food but to bring us security. The government in Khartoum are the reason we are here. They are not going to solve our problems."

Hussein Mohammed, a displaced young man from Kabkabijah.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by shanti23]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by shanti23
The worst humanitarian crisis ever is happening in Sudan, which is not very far from Iraq.

Does US care what happening in Sudan? The icon of Democrazy and Human Rights?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
If and this is a big if, Russia sends that amount of troops it would seem to have the effect for instance of freeing up a whole division or two of our forces for more unfettered use's such as an attack on Iran.

Just too good to be true. It is legal for daydreaming.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by zcheng

Originally posted by shanti23

Does US care what happening in Sudan? The icon of Democrazy and Human Rights?

I think China should come to the table and help this horrible humanitarian crisis going on in the Sudan. After all, China is a great nation as Zcheng will readily admit.
China's economy is growing at an exponential rate - it's becoming an economic superpower...
China is building a space program...
China is building great naval vessels with some of the most advanced technology in the world...
China is building highly adVanced warplanes... how about that awesome J-10?

So since China is such a great, wonderful, powerful nation, filled with a love for humanity and a world leader in human rights ativism ...
IT IS ONLY RIGHT FOR SUCH A GREAT NATION TO COME TO THE AID OF THE POOR SUFFERING PEOPLE IN SUDAN.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by bios
IT IS ONLY RIGHT FOR SUCH A GREAT NATION TO COME TO THE AID OF THE POOR SUFFERING PEOPLE IN SUDAN.

China is doing what China can, for example China has waived the debt of many poor nations, not like the West esp. US to use the debt to control the economy of that nation.

It is US every year critisizing human right abuses around the world, while abusing prisoners in Iraq and deprive those held in Guantonomo Bay. China does not present itself as the savior of the world, as the US is doing now, while waging wars and instigating conflict around the world.

I see the day US retracts around the world, and free the world from US hegemony.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I see the day US retracts around the world, and free the world from US hegemony.

So if you would like the US to retract from areas around the world, why are you then wanting the US to go to Sudan?
Little Catch 22 there, huh?

Actually I feel sorry for the forgotten men & women of China, who are victims of Nazi-like eugenic policies, who cannot choose the number and spacing of their children, whose bodies are violated, whose voices are silenced, but whose hopes and dreams remain alive.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
sudan is a situation for the UN, it has been for years. it'd be nice if the UN would step up and do it's job, and if for once they would engage in such acts before the situation gets out of control and not wait until the world finally takes notice. sudan should have been sorted out years ago.

-raven

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Actually I feel sorry for the forgotten men & women of China, who are victims of Nazi-like eugenic policies, who cannot choose the number and spacing of their children, whose bodies are violated, whose voices are silenced, but whose hopes and dreams remain alive.

Thanks for the concern, we are doing fine. It is US complaining the birth control policy and worrying the threat of population explosion. What a hypocrisy!

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Thanks for the concern, we are doing fine. It is US complaining the birth control policy and worrying the threat of population explosion. What a hypocrisy!

I wish eveyone could get along. Maybe if we divide up the planets
and the moons in this solar system we could finally live in peace.
If every nation had their own planet and or moon they could only
blame themselves if something went wrong....war etc.,

top topics

<<   2 >>

join